Gadget Freak losing weight

Options
Hi, I'm a 42 year old woman from England. I've got over 100lbs to lose and I'm planning to use technology, gadgets, apps and gamification to make weight-loss fun and interesting for me. What are your favourite apps and gadgets for losing weight (apart from myfitnesspal, natch)?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The only app/gadget I've been consistently using is an HIIT interval timer app for my phone and an app called iSuspension, a mobile phone app that is a workout & exercise database for my suspension trainer.

EDIT: I also have a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor, but ever since I started trying to listen to my body for food intake I stopped using it. Results have been satisfactory so far.
  • teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use endomondo, i also have a garmin cycling computer, and my HRM

Isnt much else i can find
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the polart ft40 and I waiting to get the newest fitbit
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia, my Kinect for exercising, Runkeeper app, and Nike Training Club app.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Hi

I use the Noom cardio trainer app on my phone for tracking my walking and other exercises, a heart rate monitor to get my calorie burn from cardio and a Fitbit.

I've just recently signedup with Beeminder to set myself some more goals
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    fitocracy is great, i got really into it when I was strength training. You get quests and milestones to hit, so it gives you goals and ideas for excercising, as well as logging your progress so you can see improvement.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Also 42 live in London UK and LOVE tech. fitbit, striiv iphone version - cute game. HRM. I have also used youtube for exercise ideas and gorilla workouts on iphone. Friend me if you want encouragement.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I use cardiotrainer as well. And of course the MFP app. I also have a HRM.
  • deejerox
    deejerox Posts: 1
    Options
    Endomondo is a brilliant app! So much information in the premium version (only £2). Only other techy piece of kit I have is a Beurer toning belt but that's obviously not going to cut any weight.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love gadgets, they keep me entertained :-)

I love the barcode scanner on MFP, it's what kept me hooked when I began, I scan everything and anything:-)

Use Libra app to track weight (I weigt-in daily so that tracks the trend line).
    Runkeeper to track my walking - you can set up goals (e.g run 30 miles this month), it uses GPS to track and map your route, shows elevation, speed by kilometer... love fiddling with it!
    Also recently got hrm (polar ft40) and track my heart rate. I try and check what my hr ad cals are from all sorts of things, scrubbing the floor, chasing toddler around for 30min, climbing stars 10 times very fast...I'm still new to it and experimenting.

When I reach my next mini-goal will get the polar data transfer unit so can download data files and import/export them in other apps. When I reach my next big goal I'm getting fitbit :-)

Currently looking for an app to track squats, etc
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit and the fitbit app. as well as MFP app of course. I also have an HRM.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I see lots of new posts while I was typing, off to check some of those apps :-)
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many great suggestions, so fast! Keep them coming.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    MFP for food tracking
    Full Fitness app for logging weight sessions
    Polar FT7 for heart rate monitoring
    Fitbit One for step tracking
    Sleep Cycle app for sleep monitoring
    Endomondo for GPS tracking bikes and walks
    Nike+ GPS for outdoor running, Nike+ sensor for indoor running
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Love my Body Media Fit... also love my Fitbit but think the BMF is more accurate. Couldn't do with out the Herat rate monitor!! I-Pod and headphones are a must! Endomondo for running! LOL...yes... gadget freak here too! Good luck on the journey!
  • TLHarwick
    TLHarwick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have recently started using GymPact (app) which pays you to work out - although I have been having trouble making it keep my payment information in the system... so the jury is still out on that one!

I have also found the EveryMove (app) which gives you points for activities towards discounts and freebies. I have earned $17.00 off a Fit box and am currently working towards making a $5.00 donation to the victims of Boston... fun to see the points rack up!

I also use Runkeeper and MFP.

I want to purchase a hear rate monitor, but still investigating which one I want!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump? The app for transferring photos and contacts by bumping your phone against another phone? How do you use that to help lose weight and get fit?
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I use nike+ to keep track of my running, and fitbit as my pedometer.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Bump? The app for transferring photos and contacts by bumping your phone against another phone? How do you use that to help lose weight and get fit?

People put the word "Bump" in a thread so they can save it and read it later.