Nutrient Timing vs Meeting daily requirements

Options
I just wanted to hear some opinions on this subject. I think Im somewhere in the middle between the two. On one hand I dont believe in the Magic 1 hour window to have a simple carb and protein shake. On the other hand I dont think that one could for example eat all his protein requirements for the day for breakfast and then carbo requirements for lunch and then fat requirements for dinner. I understand some people train better in a fasted state, and some people train better on a full stomach. But is Nutrient timing really that crucial compared to total daily macro/micro/fiber requirements? Thoughts?

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't really matter. To maximize athletic performance or muscle gains is another matter.
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    But ive researched Nutrient Timing and the subjects were all tested in an 18 hour fasted state. Of course their bodys reacted to a simple carb and protein shake pwo. But I agree with you for max lean muscle gain eating big postworkout is important for repair
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to hear some opinions on this subject. I think Im somewhere in the middle between the two. On one hand I dont believe in the Magic 1 hour window to have a simple carb and protein shake. On the other hand I dont think that one could for example eat all his protein requirements for the day for breakfast and then carbo requirements for lunch and then fat requirements for dinner. I understand some people train better in a fasted state, and some people train better on a full stomach. But is Nutrient timing really that crucial compared to total daily macro/micro/fiber requirements? Thoughts?

to lose or gain weight, it doesn't matter... Eat whatever you want, whenever you want. As long as you stick to your macros..

Please note, when I say whatever you want it means eat what ever you want. Just ensure you reach your nutrient requirements :) Fiber, vitamins and minerals etc..
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    Yup I live the IIFYM lifestyle myself, Im just trying to get different views on it because Ive experimented with both and saw no gain or loss trying either.
  • Snow3y
    Options
    Well, personally I'd try stick to the healthier foods in any case.. I don't eat sweets or white carbs, unless i have to to reach my goals (if there's no other way to)

Are you aiming to gain or lose weight?

I used to time every meal carefully, when I'd have my protein shake, when I'd eat meats or foods... Now I just eat when I'm hungry or have the time.. I'm gaining weight slowly but steadily.. nice solid mass with minimal fat gain..

Muscle mass gain will most definitely take forever to happen, but that's just how life is.. And gaining fat when bulking is unavoidable (unless you're one of those who do all-year lean mass gain - which takes fooooking long.)
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    Haha Im constantly lean bulking just a 200-300 surplus. But my body reacts verrry fast to dieting so when I eat at deficit i can be 8% fat or lower in 3 weeks. When I first started really dieting I would put so much emphasis on pre and post workout. Id literally drink a shake with dextrose and then eat a family size tuna inside gym before I left home. Ive come to realize that its ok to drive home, take a shower and THEN eat haha
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    And I follow Flexible dieting guidlines, so I usually eat a poptart or two after I train.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    No. Unless your an elite athlete trying to get an edge for better peak performance nutrient timing isn't going to make any noticeable difference and it makes it far more complicated than it needs to be. imo :smile:
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    No. Unless your an elite athlete trying to get an edge for better peak performance nutrient timing isn't going to make any noticeable difference and it makes it far more complicated than it needs to be. imo :smile:
    Exactly my thoughts, I was killing myself for the longest trying to time my pre and pwo meals, when as long as im eating sometime before and sometime after I wont hinder my gainz. Thanks
  • Snow3y
    Options
    Yeah I've tried the binge bulking, the results suck! Now i plan on lean bulking for as long as possible - unfortunately I'm and ecto and endo body type, I have to be verrrrry careful when bulking, I gain fat really really easily..

When you diet to cut down, how much of a deficit do you do?
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    My maintance is 3560calories so first week I go to 2700 calories 50% p 30%carbs 20% fat. 2nd week I drop to 2500, 3rd week 2300. the only cardio I do on my cut is Pull-ups for time, and push-ups for time. I hate treadmills and stairclimbers. I also do not log my exercises because I fell the app is wrong.