sweet tooth

Options
Morning guys, so this has probably been covered before but I truly am struggling with the sweet tooth syndrome. I'm pretty good all day and take regular exercise. Sadly i fall into the realms of gain around about the 8 pm mark were i find myself going to the shop to by crap food to feed my addiction.

Anyone suffer from this and is there a way besides cold turkey to resolve the issue ?

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Have some fruit or anything sweet if that helps.

Other than that, cold turkey is the way to go.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    sweet fruit is a good help for me, also if I keep slim a bear no sugar add icecream around, one of these in the evening covers my chocolate and sweet crave for only 150 cals.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You've probably heard a few of these before, but as a complete chocaholic, I feel your pain, and I am on the road to a low fat/sugar lifestyle using MFP and some old classics;

*This is my best tactic yet - Tell yourself that (e.g.) Thursday is your treat day, plan what you will have (slice of cake/ice cream whatever) and log it into MFP in advance, that way you can see that it's naughty with all the Sat Fat/Sugar etc, you've visualised the treat, logged the calories in advance and you can spend the days before 'Treat Day' thinking that it will be your reward. I know it's easier said than done, but even if having Treat Day planned, means that the other days you eat less sweet foods than usual, it's still success right?
    -If you find yourself craving, log what you'd have into MFP - then look at the levels of fat and sugar, and decide if it's really worth it.
    -If you crave something sweet, do something to distract yourself, go for a walk, call a friend, go online and read some Success Stories on MFP (that one always helps stop my craving!)
    -Eat some fruit, with a couple of blocks of dark chocolate (or melt it and dip)... I KNOW it's not as good as the milk variety, believe me, but it really does satisfy.
    -Eat sorbet instead of ice cream

I also use this list quite often when I have the time to consider how to healthily satisfy my sweet tooth, http://greatist.com/health/healthier-dessert-recipes

Hope this helps!
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm very fortunate that I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

My husband though, managed to really wean himself off the late night sweet binge, by having low-fat hot chocolate. It's sweet enough to take the edge off, is warm and comforting, and can be easily made into a routine to take your mind off other sweets.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I too have this issue and have to take a bath, drink tea and get out of kitchen. Sometimes I sit in bed and watch TV or read hoping to fall asleep so I won't keep thinking about food!!! Cold turkey for me is best as once I start, it is hard to stop and turns into a binge.
  • GlittergirlTrudi
    Options
    I feel ur pain hun I have the same problem a few days ago I just HAD to have some chocolate. What I did was melt some dark chocolate in the microwave and pour it over some strawberries it does taste like a delicious choc treat!

Now I should mention that I have a lactose intolerance so i'm not a angel eating dark chocolate ...its all I can have :laugh:

BTW Ctina I think urs is a brilliant tip :wink:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes
    fruit
    yogurt
    mcdonalds fruit parfait
    100 calorie cookie snack packs
    skinny cow candy
    skinny cow ice cream sandwiches
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    Brush your teeth and gargle with scope(works for me). Chew on sugar-free gum. This ones my favorite glass of water and 2 scoops of metamucil it taste like crap but it fills you up with fiber.
  • JoanieJustice
    Options
    A .5 tsp of organic honey.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Eating sugar is, for many people, addictive. As an adult, I was never a frequent sweet eater (but I ate a lot of sweets as a kid and was fat). But, I was enough of an addict that, on the rare occasions that I would have a cake or some cookies, etc. around, I would eat a lot of whatever was around until it was all gone. And I was very poorly nourished during those binges because you can only eat so much food. No vegetables or fruit or even much protein--all "white" carbs and some fat. Yuck, I can't imagine that I would abuse my body in that way. :sick:

I knew that I could not control my eating of it, if it was in the house. One day I realized that eating sweets was a type of addiction. Then I started to look into it. A lot of obesity researchers say that it is similar to an addiction to alcohol and must be treated the same way. Fructose (and sucrose, i.e. table sugar is 50% fructose) is the part that appears to have an "anti-satiety" affect. Here is a link to a website that speaks to the issue of "food addiction" and sugar consumption was heavily implicated by the research. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

I determined to be done with sugar, once and for all. That was three years ago, and the majority of my weight loss occurred since then---and was more or less effortless. When my weight loss stalled, I determined that I needed to cut out wheat as well. Then, I joined MFP and have lost another 18 pounds since then through diet and beginning pool exercise (I have arthritis). I began lifting weight in late November and have really seen a change in shape. The good news is that, not only is my "pre-diabetes"and high blood pressure gone, but also my arthritis has diminished to a great degree. :smile:
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    You've probably heard a few of these before, but as a complete chocaholic, I feel your pain, and I am on the road to a low fat/sugar lifestyle using MFP and some old classics;

*This is my best tactic yet - Tell yourself that (e.g.) Thursday is your treat day, plan what you will have (slice of cake/ice cream whatever) and log it into MFP in advance, that way you can see that it's naughty with all the Sat Fat/Sugar etc, you've visualised the treat, logged the calories in advance and you can spend the days before 'Treat Day' thinking that it will be your reward. I know it's easier said than done, but even if having Treat Day planned, means that the other days you eat less sweet foods than usual, it's still success right?
    -If you find yourself craving, log what you'd have into MFP - then look at the levels of fat and sugar, and decide if it's really worth it.
    -If you crave something sweet, do something to distract yourself, go for a walk, call a friend, go online and read some Success Stories on MFP (that one always helps stop my craving!)
    -Eat some fruit, with a couple of blocks of dark chocolate (or melt it and dip)... I KNOW it's not as good as the milk variety, believe me, but it really does satisfy.
    -Eat sorbet instead of ice cream

I also use this list quite often when I have the time to consider how to healthily satisfy my sweet tooth, http://greatist.com/health/healthier-dessert-recipes

Hope this helps!

^^ what she said 100%
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to get creative in the kitchen. I'm not the type of person who thinks abstaining is the best strategy. SkinnyCow Ice Cream sandwiches help me... (not a huge candy fan)... Most of the time I like decadent treats...

Sometimes I'll take a 100 Calorie tortilla/100 calorie english muffin/low cal biscuit... head it up, spray some zero cal butter spray, a sprinkle of salt, some nonfat cool whip, and either melt a little dark chocolate or a tablespoon of tasty preserves (I use tart cherry preserves)...

Angel food cake, topped with mixed berries (berries cut, mix with a squeeze of lemon, and mix with truvia) top over angel food cake, and add a dollop of cool whip...

Sugar free pies work sometimes...

One Iced Cookie (they taste like cake!) and they're only 160 cals.

There are a ton of options to hit your sweet tooth healthfully and without guilt. :)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I usually have some sugar free hard candies with me. They are sweet & last a long time. Just make sure to look at the calories & serving sizes. They make a bunch of sugar free candy now & some are pretty high calorie. Right now my favorites are Sugar Free Wild Cherry Life Savers--yum! 8 calories for 1 & it will usually last a good 15 minutes.
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Chocolate Wafer Bar for me 110 calories or less depending on the flavor.