Protein shakes benaficial?

Options
Are they beneficial to those wanting to loose weight? Everyone I know just had them for muscle bulking?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you're not getting enough protein from your diet, protein shakes are a good option. Adequate protein intake helps minimize the amount of lean tissue lost while dieting.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You need more than protein in your shakes for the best benefit. Have you heard of Shakeology?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you're not getting enough protein from your diet, protein shakes are a good option. Adequate protein intake helps minimize the amount of lean tissue lost while dieting.

this.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have had lap band surgery and protein shakes are a must for me, I have one every morning on my way to work because if I don't I would never get enough protein in my system, the convience foods of today are pack with way too many carbs and sugars and not enough protein to keep someone that is looking to stay satisfied longer actually satisfied.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Potential Health Risks

Excess protein is removed from your body by your kidneys. While high protein intake is generally considered safe for adults with normal liver and kidney function, according to the Mayo Clinic, there are some associated risks. If you consume protein at the expense of carbohydrates or fat, you may be missing out on essential nutrients your body needs to function optimally. Furthermore, overeating protein will not promote faster muscle growth; all excess calories are stored as fat no matter what the source. Finally, high protein intake has been linked with increased risk for dehydration and potential adverse effects on bone if there is not adequate calcium intake concurrently, according to the online "Journal of Nutrition."

Do You Need Protein Shakes?

Add up the protein you get from the food you eat each day and compare it to your daily requirements before choosing whether to add a protein shake. Otherwise, you may be spending money on a product you do not really need and placing unwanted stress on your body. If you are unable to meet your protein needs due to skipped meals or intense sport competition, try adding additional meals or food to your diet so you are eating at least three meals a day. If your needs are still not met, then protein shakes may be an option. Eating a proper meal is best, but having a protein shake or supplement is better than skipping a meal completely.

Sponsored Links

Medifast® Official Site How Does Your Diet Plan Compare? Healthy, Safe and Proven to Work. www.Medifast1.com

Chocolate Protein Shake Most Recommended. Great tasting chocolate protein powder: UNJURY www.UNJURY.com

Junk Free Protein Bar 20g Protein, 4g Non-Fiber Carbs. No Sugar Alcohols, No Sugar Used. www.QuestProteinBar.com

Calculate My Actual Age Take the RealAge Test and find out the actual age of your body. RealAge.com

References
    •Journal of the American College of Nutrition: Protein and Older Adults
    •Mayo Clinic: High-Protein Diets--Are They Safe?
    •"Journal of Nutrition": Does Excess Dietary Protein Adversely Affect Bone?

Article reviewed by demand32474 Last updated on: Mar 9, 2011

3 Comments

Print

Related Searches:Soya ProteinHigh Protein DietProtein PowderFood Sources of ProteinProtein Drink

Must see: Slideshow & Video

6 Exercises You Are Doing Wrong

How to Lose Flabby Arms Without Push-Ups

9 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories
    Member Comments

advertisement

Related Searches:Discount Protein ShakesBad Effects of Soy MilkBad CarbsBad FoodsWhey Protein Information
    People Are Reading

Long-Term Effects of Protein Shakes

Side Effects of Taking Protein Shakes

Side Effects of Protein Shakes

Bad Long-Term Effects of Protein Shakes

Are Protein Shakes Bad for Teens?

Negative Effects of Protein Shakes

Is Whey Protein Good or Bad?

Myths of Protein Shakes

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/137025-are-protein-shakes-bad/#ixzz2RC19SQrX
    NO JUST EAT
  • NidalM
    NidalM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In addition to what justsomerando said, they work as great, quick, meal replacement too. Blend them with 0.25c oats and this can be extremely filling.

Just don't make them a primary source of nutrients.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    It helps my joints and muscles not hurt so bad after lifting or running...
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i have a protein shake most mornings. I like it because i try to hit 30 % protein a day and that is 135 grams for me. I would never be able to hit that with my shake, Definitely beneficial.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a smoothie with it for breakfast every day. 300 calories to fill me for hours, it's good I tells ya!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Are they beneficial to those wanting to loose weight? Everyone I know just had them for muscle bulking?
    i
    am not muscle bulking, I am trying to retain muscle while eating at a deficit. they may not be beneficial in LOSING weight, but are beneficial in keeping muscle mass while losing weight (is my understanding)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just remember they are a SUPPLEMENT. They should not be a meal replacement. They are for recovery and supplementation if you feel you are going to fall short of your protein macro.

If you mix with other things, peanut butter, oats, etc. They are very beneficial.

If you are lifting weights, you should have one within 30 minutes of finishing your lifting split.

Get a good brand though, like ON or Nutricore.
  • emmajane2211
    emmajane2211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As I run am I better having one after a long run on a weekend? Also would I get away with having one with maybe some oats as breakfast? Iv gone years without breakfast and general rubbish eating.