High protein meals for vegetarians?

Options
Does anyone have any good recipes for a wanna be vegetarian that is high in protein. I am currently taking protein shakes in the morning and tried the protein shake pancakes which were pretty good but not so certain how to get both soy and wheat into a meal to get the necessary amounts of protein.

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils = Soups, Chilli, Curry, Salads
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-lentil-curry/

SO GOOD. I have made this recipe multiple times (I use a little bit of coconut butter instead of oil) and its....just yum as.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Soy Products

Soy products, such as tofu and meat substitutes, can be a low-calorie, high-protein option. Lite firm or extra firm tofu has about 38 calories and 7 g of protein per 100 g; regular soft tofu has about 55 calories and nearly 5 g of protein. The protein in tofu is high-quality because it provides all of the amino acids that you need for good health. Soy-based meat substitutes can be low-calorie, high-protein options, but read the label carefully because they may have added oils or sauces with sugar or starch.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407628-low-cal-high-protein-foods/#ixzz2RC2Yx35t
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    ^^^ yep. Beans. Lentils. Tofu. Seitan. Tempeh.

EDIT: also Quinoa (only grain that has a complete protein! Delish too)

Then, of course there's Cheese and eggs, if you do eat them (but there's the added fat to those)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    cheese omelettes (I use a combinations of egg white and whole eggs)

Quorn or soy mince chilli

Curries made with soy 'meat' and veggies

Chick pea and bean stews

Stirfry with tofu or seitan

Chinese dishes with tofu and cashews

Lentil veggie lasagne topped with light mozarella

Also, look out of nutritional yeast flakes - full of protein and B-vitamins, I sprinkle some into lots of meals I make. I also eat a lot of cheese and Greek yoghurt for protein.

Some veggies have a surprising amount of protein for the calories too. Steamed peas, edamame, broccoli, etc all add more protein to a meal.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    Vegetarians tend to get their protein fill from nuts, greek yogurts [with 2x the protein than regular yogurts], cheese, lentils, beans, quinoa, and meatless proteins such as tofu, tempeh, and seitan. You can buy these proteins plain, season or marinate them yourself, or you can find wonderful options, already flavored and packaged for convenience. I love the ALOHA marinated tofu, Gardein's Meat-Free Chipotle Lime Crispy Fingers, and Quorn's Cranberry + Goat Cheese Chik'n Cutlets!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a grain that is full of protein and other vits such as iron. It is really good for you and simple to cook. Just add it to boiling water for 10-15 mins. It can be pretty bland so you need to have something flavourful with it like maybe a curry made with tofu or quorn... It's pretty versatile though. You can jazz it up with coriander, lemon zest and nuts... by the way, nuts full of protein too :-)
  • scoutbelly
    scoutbelly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Soy is a complete protein by itself, so you don't need to combine it with wheat. Of course, there is also protein in a lot of other things, like nuts, legumes, and even vegetables, so it's pretty easy to get plenty of protein without supplements, especially if you eat eggs and dairy.

My favorite low-calorie veg protein is edamame (soy beans) - you can get them at any grocery store in the frozen vegetable section. An entire bag of soybeans in the pod is only 200 calories - filling, delicious and filled with protein.

Quinoa is also great, because it is a complete protein, and you can use it any place you might otherwise use rice - eat it with roasted/steamed/sauteed veggies, and you have another low-calorie, high-nutrition meal.

Lentil soup is great - I make the Moosewood cookbook recipe, but I add way more veggies and seasoning, and eat it all week or freeze it for quick meals later.

Garbonzo beans - great in curries, or as hummus, or roasted as a snack - also smash/blend them with some veganaise, mustard and dill, then add grated carrot and chopped celery and it makes a great sandwich spread.

White beans - great with sauteed kale, onion, garlic and mushrooms.

Black beans - I usually just make these in a crock pot, season and eat plain with grains or in a burrito.

Marinate and bake your own tofu - delicious. http://www.thekitchn.com/try-this-baked-tofu-74358

Raw almonds and walnuts for snacking, in moderation.

Vanilla soymilk, tasty enough to be a dessert.
  • scoutbelly
    scoutbelly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I found that getting a rice cooker and a crock pot helped a lot with getting me to eat healthy, high protein foods - you can make quinoa in the rice cooker - it takes two seconds of your time and then is ready 20 minutes later. Crock pot to make dried beans (tastier than canned), again with a tiny amount of prep time.