I Need Help shopping for pants

Options
I absolutely cannot stand shopping for pants for one and only one reason. Comfort. No matter how many different pants I try on nothing fits right. I do not like the high waist pants, because I do currently have a muffin top, so it's not comfortable, but I would try one if if fit right, but I really do not know my pants size. I am tall (5'9") as well. Anyone have any suggestions what the best kind of pants to wear are when you are tall and have a muffin top and what store I can find them at if possible? Also, how can I figure out what size pants I should wear? Thank you so much!

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u didnt tell us your weight so we dont know what size u wear
    try on different sizes at the store which ever ones fit comfortably are the size you wear
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Overall, the jeans to look out for when trying to hide your muffin top are:

• A perfect fit around the waist (and preferably the rest of the lower body as well)
    • Made of stretch denim
    • Dark in colour
    • A style that suits your body type and makes you feel comfortable
    • Not low rise!
    • Relatively high-waisted

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4116811
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Tall women should avoid wearing Women's clothing that have bright and wild prints. Wear a different coloured top than what you wear below. Wearing two different colours above and below will help break up your height. Stick to outfits that have both light and dark colours. As much as possible, stay away from monochromatic women's clothing. Tall women look attractive and appealing with wide belts because it makes their torso appear shorter. A wide belt can be the perfect accessory to a simple a-line dress, a skirt, or even trousers. Belts help define the waist on a tall figured woman so she doesn't seem like one big endless mass. When searching for the right pair of trousers look for those which have cuffs on the bottom. Cuffs at the bottom of your pants will help make you appear shorter than you actually are.

Wear dresses and skirts that end at your shins. Do not bother with dresses that end at your ankles because they will accentuate your height. Other ideal clothing that end below the knee are capris. Shin skirts and dresses and capris are the types of clothing that will reduce the elongated look of your body. Whatever womens clothing you decide to wear make sure they are neither too loose nor too fitted. Your tops should be longer than what you wear below. By wearing a long top and something short below you make you give the impression that you are shorter. Wearing low heeled shoes such as ballet flats will avoid adding height to your already tall frame.

Tall women should use large accessories to match their Womens clothing. If you are wearing earrings select long dangly earrings instead of studs. In this case bigger is better. The same rule applies for purses and hand bags. It looks very odd and disproportionate when a tall woman carries a small purse. You don't want to look like a giant carrying Barbie sized accessories. A tall woman should carry large hand bags in solid colours. By following these tips you will be able to find the right kind of womens clothing for you. A smart shopper has an idea of what clothes to look for before they start shopping. Whatever your figure or frame you should always know what types of womens clothing suit your figure so you can highlight the best qualities of your body.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3852736
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Tall women should avoid wearing Women's clothing that have bright and wild prints. Wear a different coloured top than what you wear below. Wearing two different colours above and below will help break up your height. Stick to outfits that have both light and dark colours. As much as possible, stay away from monochromatic women's clothing. Tall women look attractive and appealing with wide belts because it makes their torso appear shorter. A wide belt can be the perfect accessory to a simple a-line dress, a skirt, or even trousers. Belts help define the waist on a tall figured woman so she doesn't seem like one big endless mass. When searching for the right pair of trousers look for those which have cuffs on the bottom. Cuffs at the bottom of your pants will help make you appear shorter than you actually are.

Wear dresses and skirts that end at your shins. Do not bother with dresses that end at your ankles because they will accentuate your height. Other ideal clothing that end below the knee are capris. Shin skirts and dresses and capris are the types of clothing that will reduce the elongated look of your body. Whatever womens clothing you decide to wear make sure they are neither too loose nor too fitted. Your tops should be longer than what you wear below. By wearing a long top and something short below you make you give the impression that you are shorter. Wearing low heeled shoes such as ballet flats will avoid adding height to your already tall frame.

Tall women should use large accessories to match their Womens clothing. If you are wearing earrings select long dangly earrings instead of studs. In this case bigger is better. The same rule applies for purses and hand bags. It looks very odd and disproportionate when a tall woman carries a small purse. You don't want to look like a giant carrying Barbie sized accessories. A tall woman should carry large hand bags in solid colours. By following these tips you will be able to find the right kind of womens clothing for you. A smart shopper has an idea of what clothes to look for before they start shopping. Whatever your figure or frame you should always know what types of womens clothing suit your figure so you can highlight the best qualities of your body.

^^^^ what a load of tosh.....what is wrong with being tall....if bold colours and wild prints are what you like go for it!
  • JM48124
    JM48124 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

This is crap. Thanks for googling an article and posting it here. I'm 5' 9" and don't pick a purse based on that nor do I choose clothing to make me appear shorter...I even wear heals!

Unfortunately, OP you need to try cloths on. Try to find tall sizes! They fit better overall. I've had luck with New York and Company because they make tall fits. Good luck.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Old Navy also has tall sizes, and most of their pants are low to mid-rise.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am 5"10 and I order my pants from the Old Navy website where I can get them in long and the "dreamer" jeans fit wonderful. And they are not expensive jeans. Also, you can get more dressier and more expensive jeans at Long Elegant Legs. Nice fit also. Hope this helps you. :smile:
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I also have a muffin top and low-rise pants do not help. You just end up with a dunlop (Where your belly dun lopped over your pant waist). I like Old Navy's Sweetheart cut jeans. They are a mid-rise, so they're not really high, but they go past the muffin. They are also smaller in the waist, but roomier in the hip/thigh. They have several different cuts. Always try them on though. They are infamous for inconsistent sizing.

(Edited to remove rogue question mark....How did that get in there?)
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am not sure your body type but... my waist is one size smaller than hips so I used to have a lot of issues but... now days, there are pants in various shapes. I get curvy which has hips a little bigger than waist. Look for straight cut, not narrower at calf and ankle as this elongates the legs. If I find a type of pant that fits, I buy in a few colors. I try to get one length for flats and one for heels.
  • misseseaj2010
    Options
    Old Navy also has tall sizes, and most of their pants are low to mid-rise.

This is what I was going to say, Old Navy is the only place that I buy jeans.

edited for spelling mistake.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm English so we have different stores here, but my nicest, best fitting jeans are Levi's that I bought about 11 years ago! I also have sme Calvin Klein jeans that fit nicely.

I'd just try on loads on different sizes and see what suits you best. I'm not the same size in every shop here.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I will never look at Old Navy and Gap jeans the same after seeing this:
    http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

Here is the best guide I have seen online for picking out a pair of jeans:
    http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/02/jeans.html
  • MerBear1985
    MerBear1985 Posts: 131
    Options
    Unfortunately different brands have different sizing so you are not going to be the same size jeans everywhere. Avoid the muffin top by finding jeans that actually fit you in the waist/hips. I have lower rise jeans that don't give me a muffin top. You are just going to have to go out to different stores and try on a bunch of jeans. With my shape even if I find jeans to fit I usually have to get them taken in in the waist because my legs are a whole size larger than my hips/waist, so keep that as an option too. Jeans are not made for everyone, they are standard sizes/cuts, you just have to find what works for you.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I don't know your body type, but if you are an apple with a thicker waist and slimmer hips and thighs, I have recently discovered the Jordache Skinny jeans at Walmart. I am only 5'6", but I have a 34" inseam, so I need longer jeans, and these were long enough. These jeans are stretch, fit mid rise and are super comfy. And no muffin top!
    And very inexpensive so you don't fork over a lot for jeans you will be shrinking out of, if you are still losing.

Funny thing is that my daughter is built completely opposite, little tiny waist and fuller hips and thighs, and she loves these jeans as well. It was kinda fun shopping for the same jeans with her! Albeit mine were several sizes larger.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your ticker and saw your weight. BTW, your face looks very slim. I'm not sure where to suggest pants that would fit you. Perhaps try Catherines, or Chicos, altho Chicos is pretty pricey. Lane Bryant would probably have some as well. Unfortunately it will probably be a bit difficult to find young, trendy styles that will fit you right now, but just look for some that are comfy and wear longer tops that cover the pockets and no one can tell the style. And definitely look for mid to higher rise.

Congrats that you are making the changes for a healthier lifestyle while you are so young. Hang in there and you will make it into the little cute jeans!
  • tikafly
    Options
    This gal also did a buying guide for plus size denim:
    http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/10/plus-sized-denim.html
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I will never look at Old Navy and Gap jeans the same after seeing this:
    http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

This article was a real eye opener! LOL!
    Thank you for sharing this. I'll never buy GAP jeans again!
    "Mom jeans" ....shudder.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I take back what I said! Do not go to Old Navy! LOL...Now I need to check out some other denim...
  • tikafly
    Options
    OMG!! I take back what I said! Do not go to Old Navy! LOL...Now I need to check out some other denim...

LOL I know! I completely freaked when I saw this. I had been a loyal Old Navy customer for years.
  • Renilicious
    Options
    I'm a jeans girl and buying pants as an overweight person was (and still is) tricky as I have very thick calves but slender thighs by comparison. I also have the belly apron which is the mother of all muffin tops.

I've found that high-waisted pants that fit comfortably high around the hips, covering the belly button are the most flattering if you've got a muffin top issue as you can get these types of jeans with special mesh panels that smooth out the silhouette a little bit. I aim for bootleg or flaired leg cuts because they even out my shape and give me a more flattering figure. They also make you look taller.

If the higher area of torso (above the belly button) is where you have the sticky-out pudginess that hangs over the waistline of your jeans, you can get some lovely form fitting camisoles that smooth you out a little. I wear them a lot - they're not restrictive as they're very flexible and move with you.

I've heard of a US brand of jeans called "Not Your Daughters Jeans" which apparently caters for those with the small waist but roundy hips and thighs. Torrid has a great range of jeans and there's an Australian brand called City Chic where I get all my jeans from these days. The cuts are brilliant AND in trend as well as classic.

Like everyone has said already though, you just have to go trying on jeans and pants. Figure out what cut and style works best for you and then work from there in your selections. Don't pay any attention to the size, just the fit and the cut.