Wedding Dress Shopping - THIS WEEKEND!

Options
I am stressed out! I am getting married in December and I have an appointment for this coming Saturday to try on a wedding dress for the first time EVER!:ohwell: I am nervous because I want to keep losing weight and I really don’t want to see the size dress I am now…. I wish I could just wait until a month before (But that’s not happening) I am so confused at the shapes of bodies and what dress style fits what shape…. It’s all so overwhelming! :noway:

Any advice on the things I should expect or things I should bring?

Replies

• mrsmiam
    mrsmiam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stay open-minded and try different styles.
    I thought a mermaid would look horrible on me, and it doesn't. It's flattering. I thought a princess kind of dress would make me look huge, and it just makes my waste line look perfect.
    So don't hold back...:) All dresses are altered anyway, so if you like the way you look in it now, you'll love it after losing a few more pounds.
    Enjoy!
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I intend to try on as many styles as possible.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Relax and have fun. Went wedding dress shopping with my daughter a month or two ago. The third dress that she tried on was so perfect that she stopped shopping then and there.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I too had an idea in my head of what would look good on me and ended up with a ball gown that I NEVER would have thought would look good on me. Try on all types of dresses, have your friends take pictures of you in each one so that you can remember what they look like (After five dresses you start to get really overwhelmed :)) Make sure you try them on with veils and shoes.

HAVE FUN :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Just go in open-minded, ready to try on a bunch of different types of dresses, and don't expect to leave with a dress. It might take a few visits to a few different places before you find 'the dress'. But after this weekend you'll at least have a better idea of what you're looking for. :smile:
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Listen to the advice of the people in the store. Most of them have been working with brides for a while and have seen all sorts of body types. I went in to my first appointment thinking I wanted one style and came out with a completely different idea. Empire waist dresses are flattering because they give you a feminine shape and emphasize the smallest part of your waist, so maybe start there. I still haven't found my dress yet, but have another appointment next weekend and have high hopes that I'll find what I'm looking for. Don't stress it... just have fun playing dress up :)
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Don't stress out too much! I would ask the person at the store about the dresses you are interested in and ask questions about if the dress can be tailored or if you should get a smaller size because you are still losing weight for your special day :)
  • meglynne1987
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will be putting it to use for sure!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else! I'm getting married in September. I went in wanting a LONG dress with straps because I have a larger chest. I hated the idea of a tea length and strapless. Guess what I ended up with?? A strapless tea length dress and i'm IN LOVE with it. So certainly keep an open mind. Congrats!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Have fun!!

Definitely try on different things. But also bring friends who will be honest with you. (Not necessarily brutal, but someone who will tell you if something doesn't suit you). I saw quite a few brides when I was shopping - they'd look good in their dresses but you could tell that the dress just didn't suit them perfectly and all their friends were gushing. I wanted to go up and say 'you're beautiful, you look good in that dress, but you could look BETTER in a dress that suited you better!" (but I didn't, obviously).

Also, think about your actual wedding day. A big ball gown might look great, but if you're getting married on the beach it won't work and vice versa.

It's totally fun - enjoy!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Don't worry about the size of the dress - it's completely immaterial. If you don't know what your figure will be like in December focus on how the dress frames your face. The neckline and bodice are key to the fit; skirts are more forgiving.

All brides are planning to lose weight before the wedding so your fitter will know to expect it but be sure to let them know how far you've come and where you expect to be. The dresses are designed to be easily altered so it will be perfect on your wedding day.

As everyone has said, relax and enjoy. This is your moment.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have to second the advice to definitely, definitely take lots of pictures! That really makes it easier to choose, when you can see yourself in all the different styles from that perspective.
  • meglynne1987
    Options
    Again thanks! You all have made some great points. I really need to focus more on me in the dress than the number in the size. I just need to get past that. I have some friends coming with me and I know atleast one of them would tell me if the dress didn't suit me. Just hoping to find the perfect one.
  • meglynne1987
    Options
    And the update:

I got the dress of my dreams! I tried on an 18W and it was too big so we went down to a 16W and it was to big we ended up ordering a 14 Regular! YAY I am super happy!! Thanks for all of your encouraging words!