MFP Excersize calories accurate?

Options
how can I accuratly record my lifting calories? Is MFP accurate. When I post my running cals it aways seems way to high.

Replies

• kwol18
    kwol18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There is no accurate way to record lifting calories burned. Everybody burns calories with lifting differently. It depends on how much weight, muscle tone, etc. MFP is just a general idea for the cardio calories.

The best and most accurate way to figure out burned calories is to get a good quality Heart Rate Monitor. This way it reads your vitals and can give you the best and most accurate calories burned.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It IS way too high. The most accurate way to post your cardio calories is to get an HRM. For your lifting calories...unless you're keeping your heart rate up the entire time (i.e., circuit training), there really is no super accurate way to calculate those calories. Unfortunately, strength training is really more about building muscle than burning calories.
  • Renilicious
    Options
    Edited... nevermind, someone beat me to it. :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Ok - thanks for your help
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford to get heart rate monitor right now, I've found that most estimates are over by about 1/3rd. So if you get 600 calories, record it as 400 instead.

As far as buying an HRM, I'd suggest investing in a good one like those by Polar or Garmin that have chest straps. The cheaper watch only models are no better than using MFP or other online estimates.

Best of luck!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm with Punky. You really need to get a HRM to get an accurate count. The cals burned do seem to be a bit high on here.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    If you can't afford to get heart rate monitor right now, I've found that most estimates are over by about 1/3rd. So if you get 600 calories, record it as 400 instead.

As far as buying an HRM, I'd suggest investing in a good one like those by Polar or Garmin that have chest straps. The cheaper watch only models are no better than using MFP or other online estimates.

Best of luck!

Thats great I will do that for now I think - thank you
  • katmcq29
    katmcq29 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is no accurate way to record lifting calories burned. Everybody burns calories with lifting differently. It depends on how much weight, muscle tone, etc. MFP is just a general idea for the cardio calories.

The best and most accurate way to figure out burned calories is to get a good quality Heart Rate Monitor. This way it reads your vitals and can give you the best and most accurate calories burned.

def agree with this ^^^^^ heart rate monitor is the best option
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It is a bit high. At least compared to my HRM. HRM is your best bet
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

I thought the counts were pretty high....Thanks
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Runtastic tells me 280 cals for the 1 hour 5 mile I just walked ran, I had Runkeeper going as well and its saying 438 cals burned so the question again is which to belive lol I dont have a heart monitor but I think they all give different readings MFP tells me for the same distance and time 595 cals burned so when you find out what is gooooooooooooooooood then let me know lol