Plateau help

Options
So within two months I lost about a good 17 lbs relatively quickly. I'm assuming its water retention? However, I have not been losing any more weight and I think I've hit a plateau. My diet was only 1700-1800 a day. My stats are 17age, 5"7, and weigh 162, male with moderate exercise ( weight training) . I've read through the forum and found out that I've been eating less than what I should be. Correct me if im wrong. So I recalculated my TDEE and it tells me that I should eat around 2700 to maintain my weight and 2100 to lose a pound a week with moderate exercise. I used a 20% deficit'. Im kind of worried eating that much calories . Now I have a few questions
1. Now that I will start to increase calories intake, will my body at first gain weight to get used to it?
2. What if my body doesn't lose weight over a period of time? Will I then need to decrease my calories intake ? Ty guys
3. How much deficit should I be using ? Do I experiment with it?

Replies

• Thebetterman1
    Options
    Bump
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    Calorie deficit is important, but you need to be tracking your Macro and Micro nutrients with some emphasis on fiber. No matter what youll lose weight in a deficit but if you want to keep losing that fat you must dial in on your fats,proteins,carbs. Now there are numerous diets out there but one that helped me a lot was a 50%protein 30%carb 20%fat diet. I would set it for at least 2000 calories no less than that listen to your body, if your energy levels are low and you are moody then add a few calories until u find the sweet spot.
  • Thebetterman1
    Options
    Well I'm sticking to high protein and low carbs diet. The only carbs I usually eat are fruits and vegetables. In the mornings I would have carbs such as bread and cereal or sweet potato.
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    So what are your percentages set at? Carbs are your energy source, when youre out of carbs the body turns to fat for fuel so if your Low-carbing you should be moderate goodfats 50p 30f 20c
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    So what are your percentages set at? Carbs are your energy source, when youre out of carbs the body turns to fat for fuel so if your Low-carbing you should be moderate goodfats 50p 30f 20c

True, but after carbs your body will turn to muscle for energy before fat which is why strength training is key to retaining lean muscle and forcing your body to turn to the less efficient fat stores.

Everyone plateaus. Some last a short time some can go months. I've personally been sitting between 261 and 265 since last December. Frustrating? Yes, but I push through it. My body is adjusting and as long as I keep losing body fat, the scale can say whatever it wants at this point.

But get your macros in order and keep exercising. The scale is only one tool and really, not the best one. LOL
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    Of course when cutting you will ultimately lose some muscle but the point is to minimize that reaction. I get what youre saying tho. Keeping high protein and strength training is key most def.