Exercise to lose and then to maintain

Options
I am currently following the slimming world ee plan and doing about 7.5 hours exercise a week, a mixture of walking4mph, jogging 6mph, fitness trampoline, cross trainer and sit ups and oblique twists. I have lost 16lbs so far and have a further 26 to lose. My worry is that whilst I am enjoying the exercise at the minute and it is taking this amount to shift the extra pounds, when I get to goal will my body still need this amount of exercise to maintain the goal weight? Or will it be ok to maybe exercise 4 times a week say reducing it to 4hrs which in the long term is probably a more realistic amount to fit in with family life. Anyone any answers for me please, thanks :-)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    weight loss/gain/maintenance is about your calorie balance. If you consume more than your body burns, then you'll gain. If you consume less than your body burns, you'll lose. If they match, then you'll hold steady.

So while exercise is part of that, so is diet. You have to manage the 2 pieces (diet and exercise) to find a balance you can sustain long term and get the results you want.

So based on your current diet/activity schedule, you're losing weight. When you want to start maintaining your weight, you can either eat more or exercise less, it's up to you.
  • Jamcar77
    Jamcar77 Posts: 8
    Options
    Cheers thanks for the advice, that makes sense :-)