Weight Loss Tips For Crohn's / Ulcerative Colitis Patients

Options
I was wondering if there are any My Fitness Pal users who have Crohn's/U.C. and would like to share tips on foods to eat while working on loosing weight . I've had Crohn's/UC for 10+ years now. Alot of the "normal" food someone might eat while working to loose weight, I can't have.

Here's a short list of food that I can't eat:
Any salads (lettuce)
broccoli
cabage
celery
colard greens
turnip greens
nuts
almonds
No protein shakes
limited amounts of fiber
limited amount of red meats or pork

I would LOVE to replace some lunches with a salad OR for a snack, eat some celery however it's not possible. Figured it may be good to see what other fellow Crohn's or UC patients are doing.....

Replies

• runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have crohn's disease (10+ years) as well. It is tough. I can't eat almost any of those things on your list with the exception of steamed broccoli and nuts. I eat alot of peanut butter. I've lost 45 pounds this past year but I have also been in remission. I eat alot of whole grain white bread, peanut butter, bananas, simple cereals like oatmeal squares, oatmeal. ALOT of chicken and pasta.

It's tough I know. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can do this together!

Beth
  • KristyTonn
    KristyTonn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Crohn's here as well. I've had it for years, but diagnosed in the last 6 months.
    Many limitations as well, but I'm in remission right now, so I have more choices than when I was flared up.
    Will add both of you. Maybe looking at each other's food diaries could help us find new recipes or ideas?
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hiya!!

I have ulcerative colitis too. In remission (which is one of the reasons I have a few extra pounds!)

I stick to soluble fibre rather than the insoluble type most.ly. Porridge (oatmeal) is good. Anything with oats in fact- oatcakes, bread with oats in,

I can't eat too much fruit. No more than one piece a day
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have been sick for along time - 10 years+, but I was diagnosed just over a month ago.

My DO NOT EAT list, flaring or not, is:

Oats
    Gluten
    Rice
    Corn
    Quinoa
    Dairy
    Nuts - any of them. Including PB - allergies.

It seems like a short list, but it really just leaves fruit, veggies and meat. Pretty much every processed food contains one or more of those ingredients. Ugh.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You leave fish off....great source for proteins and good fats.
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am going for a scope next week, but I too may have U.C. I am SOOOOOOOOOO bummed out!. I have been eating for past 4 months 4x a week salad, hardcore - i mean celery, grapefruit, lettuce, cukes, avocados, tomatoes, onions, etc. I am at a loss if I can't eat these foods any longer. Keep any and all food suggestions coming!
  • rsilverlining
    rsilverlining Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had Crohns for about six years, and the weight loss/gain aspect is always fun-- you can gain or drop twenty lbs in a month. I can't-- abso-freakin-lutely CAN'T-- have any fruit. Veggies are pretty iffy, too. I'm supposed to be on a high-red meat, high-fat diet because those are the only things my body can take during a flare-up.

Sashimi turned out to be the key. Raw fish, particularly salmon, is easy on my stomach and great for me. Chicken breast, grilled. Onion-y things are actually pretty okay usually, too.
  • sbarrett9484
    sbarrett9484 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping some of you ladies are still here. I’ve recently been diagnosed with UC I have yet to experience the weight loss side effects and am actually needing to lose about 30 pounds. I want to make sure I’m doing it as healthy as possible. Any tips on diet and exercise would be greatly appreciated.