weight watchers or no

Options
Hello, I need to hear from anyone who has done weight watchers and been successful at it. what can I expect in terms of weekly weight loss and is this a plan I can follow as a lifestyle change? I would also welcome any other suggestions or weight loss plans that you may have tried that has been successful for some of you. Lastly, any suggestions for an exercise dvd or program that's gentle on arthritic knees but still aids in weight loss and toning? Thanks for your help!::happy:

Replies

• laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you are doing weight watchers instead of just tracking calories in MFP?

The reason I ask is if you are using weight watchers as a tracking device, I would say don't waste your money because MFP is just as effective, however if you are using it for the meetings, support and nutritional knowledge then go for it.

I've done weight watchers in the past and was successful but as soon as I stopped counting points I started gaining weight again. This is the same with any calorie counting program, so I don't blame weight watchers at all for my own slip ups, in fact, for someone that knows very little about nutrition I think it's a fantastic program. At this point in my life I don't think I would do weight watchers again because I have a pretty strong grasp on nutrition and what my body needs and I can track and gain support here and am just as successful. I guess it just depends on what you need at this time.
  • emaurelli
    emaurelli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too have bad knees. I've been using the eliptical, treadmill, and bike at my gym at work 5 days a week. I started out at 15 mins each and slowly have been working my way up to now 30 mins each on two of the above. I've been tracking my food intake and I'm also using supplement pills bought at Walmart called Garcinia Cambogia and Green Coffee Complex. I haven't been weighing myself because when I was I didn't see any results and I was getting very frustrated. So last week I took measurements of my chest, waist, hips, and thighs. Just in those four areas in one week I lost 7 1/2 inches. I would never have known just looking at myself in the mirror or on the scale. I can't speak for Weight Watchers I've never been able to justify spending that kind of money on food when I can do it for free on websites and by looking up recipes online. I do have a lot of pain in my knees when I'm done working out but I must say the way I feel now compared to 3 weeks ago when I started is well worth it. I just take some ibuprofen when I get home and I'm good. I have a LONG way to go. I'm 273 pounds now but it's becoming easier and easier the more I go to the gym and work out to stay on track.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need to hear from anyone who has done weight watchers and been successful at it. what can I expect in terms of weekly weight loss and is this a plan I can follow as a lifestyle change? I would also welcome any other suggestions or weight loss plans that you may have tried that has been successful for some of you. Lastly, any suggestions for an exercise dvd or program that's gentle on arthritic knees but still aids in weight loss and toning? Thanks for your help!::happy:

IF you stick with the plan as with any diet plan you will lose weight. Don't expect to lose weight if your eating loads of junk and don't exercise. I've reached my goal set with WW and am now in maintenance but want to lose a little more. I started with MFP last year but didn't lose any weight. After 3 months I joined WW and lost 4 pounds the first week, 5 the 2nd and then 2 pounds a week after that for about 3 months then it slowed down to 1 pound a week. I never felt hungry. They push eating loads of fresh veggies and fruits by making most of them 0 points on their system. I saved my points for protein, carbs etc. I also walked every day a couple times a day for at least 20 minutes each time at a brisk pace.

I tracked on both WW and MFP so that when I reached my goal I could transition over to just doing MFP without any problems and so far its working. Personally I had great success with it. I did it strictly online only. Didn't bother me to pay 19 something a month for the membership because that kept me on plan. For me if I'm paying for something I'm more likely to stick with it.

Remember that the closer you get to your goal the slower the weight loss will be. The last 10 have been the slowest for me. When I stalled for 3 months I didn't give up. Just hang in there, switch things around a little and the weight will move again. I increased my calories by 100 each week as well as points and is coming off again.

By the way: You do NOT have to buy their food. I don't know why people keep saying they had to buy their food. YOU DO NOT!
    The points start high when you start out and those points depends on your height and current weight. As you lose weight the points drop. The absolute lowest you can go with points is 26. The system does not allow you to go any lower than that. You ALSO get extra points for the week plus you earn points from exercise. A lot of people eat only the daily points and will exercise to earn points and then use up those exercise points over the weekend or for a night out to splurge etc. You can also dip into your weekly points as well if you like. I never had to do that. I've always stuck with my daily points and then sometimes used up my exercise points over the weekend or for a party. its just like how people here on MFP will eat back some or half of their exercise calories that they've worked off. Same principle really.

For me I don't live to eat... I eat to live. So I'm not going to bust my rear working out just so I can eat whatever I want.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I found WW to be sugar-coated as in eat all you want fruits and veggies and still lose weight is so not true!!!
    Joining MFP gave me a "slap in the face" reality because "eat all you want" is a cruel joke!! Check the foods listed on MFP!
    Welcome to the REAL WORLD of foods and eating :smile:
  • iwantmylifeback2
    iwantmylifeback2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, Thank you for that awesome response. I just joined ww because I needed the support system. I have a lot of weight to lose, over 100 lbs so I need the help NOW. I may scale back to online only later but for now I plan to go into the meetings. I would love to continue to contact you for support if you don't mind? I tried to read over the materials last night and I found it all quite overwhelming. But I promised myself to take one day at a time. Thanks again for your response, I truly appreciate it.

Smiley:happy:
  • iwantmylifeback2
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for your response. I know you can"t eat all of anything and expect not to gain weight. So I will not be doing that on any paln no matter what it is. Where is the food list on MFP that you mentioned? where do I find it at? what food plan are you utilizing to lose weight? has it been successful for you?. Thanks for any help you can give?

• babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I follow Weight Watchers Propoints (UK plan) alongside tracking on MFP. I no longer go to class but use an app that I paid around £1.49 for. I've never bought any Weight Watchers meals and cook mostly from scratch. I just find the points easier in my head i.e. it's easier to remember how many points I have remaining than calories. I think every 'diet' works but some plans work better for some people than others and even for the same person at different stages of their life. I stopped going to class a couple of years ago as my leader was unwell and had to give up her class and I didn't find her replacement motivating but I think a good leader is worth every penny you pay to attend classes.
    Good luck!
  • iwantmylifeback2
    Options
    Hello,
    I planned on joining WW for the support and the accountability. I have over a 100 lbs to lose and I have tried to do this so many times on my on and failed. so I am desperate and tired of being in pain with my knees from the excess weight. Thanks again, for your response.

• julyssas
    julyssas Posts: 22
    Options
    For WW you have to paid, MFP is free :-)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I joined WW last week and tonight is my first weigh in so will see how I have done :)

I lose 40lbs last year just tracking on MFP. I gained some back over Xmas and just don't seem to have been able to get in the right frame of mind to get it back off. I wanted the extra support of class and just a fresh look at things. I know it's essentially just a calorie controlled diet really but I just needed a change!

I'll come back and comment on this thread once I have weighed in tonight and let you know how I got on.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think WW is a good plan. However you really don't have to pay for that info. There is so much online. Use MFP for a while and see what you can do on your own. This has to be a lifestyle and you can't stay on WW forever. Start your calories at 10 times your body weight for a few weeks and see how you do. After that if you stop losing drop it a 100 calories at a time to lose more. You'll know when you've hit your ideal weight. Never drop your calories below 1200 though. Women need at least that to function hormonally.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight on WW but did not keep it off. For me, it was not sustainable for life and once I stopped tracking points, I gained...

I find MFP to be better for me now, but WW was what I needed back then. I say try it out if you have the money to do so, it is a great program, but for me... not sustainable. Many DO stay on for life and because of that enjoy lifelong success.

I found WW to be too strict, too many rules, etc.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've done WW but unless you have a LOT to lose the points allowance is too low to be sustainable. also, "naughty" calories are penalised by costing more points - that just bugs me. However, saying that I've never PAID for WW, just bought the books (and my mum gave me some she'd finished with). I still sometimes use the recipes, but generally a portion is just too small - certainly too small for my husband. (Sorry, 150g pasta between 4 people is just ridiculous!)

I have lost more weight with MFP because it lets me accurately log exercise and calories, so i can see what I've "earned" - with no restriction. So I'm motivated to do more small bits of exercise, which all adds up. And its FREE - what's not to love about free? I've found the support on these boards genuinely helpful (as with any online forum you learn to weed out any negatives) and "friends" honestly supportive. And I can make choices - I put the food I pan for the day into the site, and if it adds u to more than my allowance I reduce a portion size here, swap a food there and maybe add an extra walk.

For exercise, I always recommend the Rosemary Conley DVDs (you can get them on Amazon) as she always shows an easier way to do the exercises as well as a challengin way. My knees are very crunchy, and until i lost weight and did more exercise were getting quite painful - my mum has arthritic knees so I know I can't avoid it indefinitely -but now I can do most exercises without pain.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    WW is kinda a rounded simpler version of this, that also charges you an arm and a leg
    and tbh if you eat all of their points and then have like 10 bananas which have "no points" you arent gonna lose weight
    I think its better to just count calories, its free, its really not that hard once you get the hang, and the support community here is really awesome :)
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    I did weight watchers and yeah i did good with it but as soon as i stopped i gained it back. I rather use MFP it's free and i am doing just as good as i was with weight watchers if not better!!!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of success with Weight Watchers in the past. I really enjoyed going to the meetings. I don't think their new plan that gives fruits and veggies 0 points is a smart move.. Some fruits and veggies have calories that can add up. A medium banana has 105 calories, that's significant, but Weight Watchers gives it 0 points. Eat two or three bananas a day, and not count them, and you could really sabotage your diet.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd week of WW, and I LOVE IT!!! I have been a member here for a year or more, but I couldn't lose - my fault, not the fault of MFP.
    With WW, I feel like I'm out of prison, cause I don't have to track most fruits/veggies, and because of that, I can eat whenever I am hungry, and its wonderful. Of course fruits/veggies have calories, but the way WW is set up, if you stay within your point allowance, you will lose. You do need to eat all your points, though. The weekly points are optional, so you can choose to not eat them.
    I lost 3.4 lbs the first week, and 2.2 the second week. I think it will be a lifelong way of eating for me.
    Don't listen tothe naysayers - just do what you need to do. :flowerforyou:
    I would love to be friends on here. :smile:
  • brcampan
    brcampan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds on Weight watchers. It is a great program if you actually use it they way it was ment to be used. As for the free fruits in vegetables if you stay with in the health checks of 6-8 servings a day with most of those servings coming from vegetables you will be fine.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've done online WW twice now, with success. But like some of the other ladies here as soon as I stopped I gained the weight back. One day my local news did a segment on weight loss sites and MFP was # 1 and to my surprise free. For me personally I prefer MFP, I lose weight faster and it's easier to follow calorie counting, who knew! Like I said WW works but are you ready to track points for the rest of your life, or simple calorie counting? No matter which you choose it's a lifetime commitment.

I have bad knees as well, I find elliptical and yoga to be easiest on them. Oh and invest in a pair of shoes that have good shock absorption.

Best of luck.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    One other thing - fruits and veggies are rarely the problem with weight issues. I mean, how many times have you eaten 10 bananas in a day, really?! And even super sweet things like grapes, mangoes, etc, are full of fiber. Pigging out on sweet fruit once in a while is still tons better than pigging out on ice cream, no? :wink:

Also- you might look up www.ttapp.com for some fitness dvds for people with arthiritis. Fitness from a rehabilitative trainer...
    ~edited to add dvd info~