Burning it Off...

Options
How do some of you measure the calories you burn? I try to find a place for it in the categories provided.. but sometimes it seems like too many for the work I did... or too little for the sweat I lost.

I just picked up some new fitness dvds and I do not see a good spot to put the workouts in, other than "Aerobics, high impact". And I am puffing and huffing at the end.. and then I register the amount of work and it seems like I should have burned more than the 600 calories or whatever it tells me.

Any thoughts out there in the myfitnesspal world? Thank you in advanced!

-i.

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the GREAT weight loss! Sure wish I was THERE! Lots of people have a Heart Rate Monitor and I just ordered one. I want to be sure what I am putting in is accurate for me - and everyone burns calories different. There are MANY out there - look into it! They can be purchased for $50-$250.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Oh Boy - I read your ticker wrong. Sorry - but you WILL get there - ME TOO!
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks for that.. I will have a peak around the health store later on my way home from work - then onwards to Jillian Michaels.

And my weight loss hasn't been great.. I am just getting it jumpstarted after onths of sitting on my duff. :-)

I had to find stuff that I liked to do as I am not a gym person at all. To me the gym = cult. -laughs- But I have several home workouts now that I am really into. And those keep me going. Big time.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I have a HRM and I compare it to what MFP says and MFP is way to high most of the time! I suggest looking into one of these if your serious about losing the weight. GOOD LUCK!
  • inforsey
    Options
    Oh Boy - I read your ticker wrong. Sorry - but you WILL get there - ME TOO!

-Hee hee-

It's okay.. I appreciated the positivity none-the-less. :-)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM over what the machine or MFP says.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM 95% of the time. Its SOOOOO worth the money, because it will only lead you to your ultimate goal in the long run! Its much easier when you KNOW what you've burnt rather than MFP guessing it for you.

I have a Polar F6 HRM.
  • inforsey
    Options
    Didn't make it to the store.. but did do my Jillian Michaels... and yeah.. this weekend, I am going to have to get a HRM... I felt like I burned a million calories.. -laughs-
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    How do some of you measure the calories you burn? I try to find a place for it in the categories provided.. but sometimes it seems like too many for the work I did... or too little for the sweat I lost.

I just picked up some new fitness dvds and I do not see a good spot to put the workouts in, other than "Aerobics, high impact". And I am puffing and huffing at the end.. and then I register the amount of work and it seems like I should have burned more than the 600 calories or whatever it tells me.

Any thoughts out there in the myfitnesspal world? Thank you in advanced!

-i.

600 calories is equal to running something like 6mph for an hour. Swimming breastroke continuously for an hour. Walking for six miles (regardless of the time it takes to complete) is on average 600 calories.

How long are these fitness DVDs, how long does it take you to complete one I mean? If it goes on for an hour, it is probably accurate at 600 calories, however, if it is finished in 30 minutes, it is most probably overestimating the calories used.