How much do you spend each week on groceries?

Options
Just wondering, how much do you spend each week on groceries?

Before I started eating healthy, I spent about $60 a week. Now it is always at least $100 a week. It is just me and my fiancé..no kids. We eat at home for every single meal, with the exception of a Friday night dinner date. Is this about normal or am I spending way too much?

If it is too much, what are some tips/recipes on how to not spend so much?

Replies

• smnassise
    smnassise Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Too much these days!!!
    On average, over $100...just me, hubby, 23month old, and an old puppy. :)
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Its around $150 a week for us (family of 4 and a toddler). its soooo expensive to eat healthy, but I think our body will thank us...
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    $100 - $200 just on myself. It cost a lot eating 5 - 6 meals a day and trying to purchase everything organic.
  • clspwagner
    clspwagner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sounds about right,
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm getting but my weekly grocery bill is between $150-$200 and it's just myself and my husband. Like you we eat at home every day with the exception of Fridays and sometimes Saturday nights.

This summer I'm hoping to frequent some of the farmers market and we are currently looking for local farms where we can purchase our meats in bulk quantities like half a cow or a whole pig sort of thing.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    $40-60 for my husband and I
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I spend between $100-$120 a week on groeries for my husband and I. We too eat very healthy and pretty much every meal at home (or packed from home).
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Two adults and a toddler in my household, on food alone I spend from 100-120 a week.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i spend about 130-150 per week but we have a family of 5...me, the hubby, and 3 boys....and i buy mostly very healthy food but also some junk food for the kiddos. We have an Aldi where we live and i can get awesome produce and fish there for a very low price.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    30 bucks, for just myself.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Girl, the EXACT same thing happened to me when I started eating healthier! Just the boyfriend, no kids for me as well. I actually spend closer to $200 each shopping trip, but I also force that to last at least 2 weeks. I've found that I'm spending so much more because those fresh foods go bad much faster and before I can eat them...plus, since the boyfriend can't munch on all the unhealthy snacks I used to buy, he munches on all of our healthier food! I'm letting this see if it can ride itself out before I majorly revamp my shopping trends!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I spend about £90 a week on food. I cook using fresh ingredients for the most part. There are 2 adults, a 6yo and a 2yo. The weekly shop just keeps going up and up. 4 years ago I could get everything for £50 a week. No chance now :(
  • attestalin
    Options
    I run a daycare so I'm feeding 4-6 kids plus myself. I spend about $100-$150 a week.
  • smnassise
    Options
    Tips: I shop for my meats and produce every other week at a small butcher shop that is far less expensive than the grocery store. There I spend about $50 for meat, deli and produce...and much of the chicken breast, etc. I will freeze for later use. The alternating week is the grocery store, where I also stock up on cereals, pastas, and paper products...but can easily spend $150.

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    That sounds reasonable to me.

I spend between £50-£100 a week depending on what I have stocked up in the freezer/cupboards and that is just for my husband and me.

Good food is my top priority after mortgage and bills so I don't have a problem with this.
  • smnassise
    Options
    What's an Aldi?
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 150-200 I use a ton of coupons usually between 20-30 dollars worth at a time. We eat at home mainly and try and get healthy foods for the kids but they have to have those nasty toaster scramblers I'm going to try and find and "clean" way of making them.
    It's just the 4 of us, however you have to think the better you eat you may have to spend more, I don't mind spending a few extra cents for organic vs the non organic especially if I know I'll benefit it from in the long run. I'm looking forward to coming farmers markets too. Look around for those. It can help save too.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I spend around $200 for a month for just my hubby and I! I am a coupon fanatic and I buy a lot of the produce and veggies from a farmer's market down the street! We also plant a garden in the summer and eat from there and freeze whatever we can! We also eat at home everyday of the week. We go out to eat maybe 2-3 times a month.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    About $250 a week. We do not eat out at all, though.
  • realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Around $120-150 per week for me and my husband. We try and buy almost everything organic, grass fed meats, and unprocessed foods. In the summer we cut down because we grow a lot of vegetables, but even then it is around $80-100 a week.

I joined a food buying club so I can buy grass fed meats in bulk (like buying 1/4 of a cow). This has helped save some!