Tell me about Chia seeds

Options
thomcand
thomcand Posts: 23 Member
I have seen a lot of reference to chia seeds and now am curious to what they are good for? I can do my own research but also figured that everyone here can give me a quick run down on them. How do you prepare them if needed?

Replies

• ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They are similar to flax seeds - they are very high in omega 3 fatty acids - which are anti-inflammatory and improve brain function. they also have some other nutrients in them like fibre and minerals.

I put them in my oatmeal if i have some on hand. I tend to have flax seeds around more often though I prefer their flavour :)
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    chiaturtle1.jpg
  • Elizabeethan
    Elizabeethan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It was recommended to me that I put them into some form of liquid, like juice or water so that they expand, to receive the full benefit. So, that's what I do. 1.5 tablespoon in a 16 ounce glass of half water half juice everymorning. I'm very interested in the fibre and omega benefits of them, but they apparently aid your weightloss efforts. I met a woman who has lost 43 pounds simply by adding them to her diet every day, and of course watching her bad food intake. I've only been "drinking" them for a week, so not much to report yet. Good luck!
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    chia seeds, almont milk, fruit (small pieces) cinnamon .yummmmmmmmm!!!! u can add berries, raisins, apples, peaches etc
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I put themin my yogurt, smoothies and salad dressing. My friend just makes a gel with water and takes a few tablespoonfuls every day.

You can also use the gel in baking in place of some of the fats, but I haven't tried that.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just started using them! I added a tablespoon to my green smoothie yesterday and I had SO much more energy then I usually do!! I am def keeping them as an ingredient every morning :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you let them sit in skim milk for awhile it becomes almost like a pudding. Blend it up with a banana or some berries and you have a great low cal. dessert.
  • ls4jj
    ls4jj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found soaking them in water for ten minutes they get a lot more jelly like substance then putting them in juice. I use 2 tables spoons to 6 oz water and then throw them in my blender ball cup with a cup of greek jogurt and v8 splash light. they are great. I have also used them in the jelly form as an egg substitute, and have put them in my protein bars. I like em:)