How much do you spend each week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What's an Aldi?

They are an international grocery chain. I shop there frequently and feed a family of 5 for an average of $75 a week. That would be us, the In-laws, and our teen.

This low expense is also due to the fact I grow a lot of my own and all the neighbors are Amish. I get free food all the time. <inserting shameless bragging>Last year I canned 66 quarts of free certified organic tomatoes and had a cow femur given to me. I caned 30 quarts of home made beef broth for the price of some celery and carrots.

Tip - save your vegetable peels and cuttings in the freezer. Occasionally use them to make vegetable broth. THEN you dispose of them.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    About $125-$150. That includes toiletries. This is for Myself, husband and two young kids.
  • joannemgregory74
    Options
    Around £140 a week for My Partner and I as well as 2 kids 12 and 17 .

Prices have gone up so much in the UK would probably only of spent £100 a couple of years ago.
  • jack_yve
    jack_yve Posts: 35
    Options
    Approx: $150+ weekly for me and my Father (for healthy food)

@Stop & Shop/twice weekly
    for reduced "bruised" produce for juicing/smoothies for $25-45 on Wed and Sat ($100/wkly)
    @Costco/monthly
    for $150 of meats, bread/eggs for my dad, some bulk veggies/fruits and water. ($40/wkly)
    @Whole foods/Monthly for some organic stuff,
    easily $100 ($25/wkly)

This doesn't include the $50-60 per week that my dad might spend on junk food and all his takeout, Fried chicken... Chinese...
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    About 1200 a month for me and two teenagers. I get meat from a local butcher, dairy delivered from a local farm, some of our fruits & veggies from the farmer's market, and everything else from Kroger or whatever big grocery store is nearby.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    We spend about $160 a week on food for 2 adults and 1 child. My baby doesn't count since he only drinks milk lol. That price includes things like toiletries, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. since we get it all at the same store.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Minimum 150, max 200. We buy all our meat grass fed, pastured. All of our fish is wild caught and seems to cost as much IF NOT MORE than our meat. We go through about 30.00/week in BERRIES. I don't know where the rest comes from... we buy all our stuff fresh and then we COOK, we don't "warm up" Everything is made from scratch. It is very high compared to some, especially considering my mother in law cooks for us Thursday but it's so much we almost certainly use some Friday too.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I spent close to $300 this weekend, which will probably last about 2 weeks (but that did include diapers, formula, baby food, a new food scale). On average I'd say about $150-200/week for 2 adults, a school age kid and a baby. But I used to spend at least $100-150/week eating out + $100/week on groceries, so it's definitely cheaper this way.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how much do you spend each week on groceries?

Before I started eating healthy, I spent about $60 a week. Now it is always at least $100 a week. It is just me and my fiancé..no kids. We eat at home for every single meal, with the exception of a Friday night dinner date. Is this about normal or am I spending way too much?

If it is too much, what are some tips/recipes on how to not spend so much?
    Most people on here will tell you they spend a lot less than that... this does depend on where you live though.
    For me personally, we definitely started spending more after we started eating healthy. We eat at home every meal except for Friday nights as well.
    I plan out our dinners for the month, and then do the grocery shopping for two weeks at a time. Usually, it is about $120 for two weeks worth, so works out to about $60/week now. So yeah, $100/week does sound kinda high but it depends what you are buying. (this is just for my husband and myself, no kids).

I do use a lot of coupons and try to take advantage of sales. I don't neccessarily buy in bulk - we have left overs one night a week and I will make some things in a big batch to freeze for later in the month, like chili or pasta sauce.

My biggest suggestion would be to try to plan out your dinners in advance so you can try to get the food when it is on sale.
    For example, try to plan a few meals with ground turkey, and then buy it when it is on sale, freeze some of it, and use it later. Rather than buying it only when you need it for that week. Hope that makes some sense!
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    usually £100- £150 a week ($200-$300) thats for hubby and i (and 2 dogs that get steamed veg every day!..mixed with their dog food)....we dont drink alcohol or smoke and rarely go out for meals!!:wink:
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Geez, where do you all shop? I have a spouse & 2 children (ages 8 & 14) and I spend at LEAST $200 per week; I'm not a coupon user.... We eat out about 2-4 meals per month and my kids typically do not bring lunch to school (my husband & I do bring lunch to work). I'm certainly not shopping the most expensive store in town.... Our kids eat what we eat. I think I need to get some pointers from some of you!
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds about right. I used to be able to spend a lot less, but right now we are spending an average of 100.00/week for two adults and a toddler. I buy a TON of fresh fruit and veggies, so that does add up, and I buy organic milk for my son, and organic Greek yogurt (and lots of it) for all of us. I think a lot of it depends where you live and what you buy. We rarely if ever use coupons because very few of the items we buy are items that will have coupons. Sometimes I will get a grocery store coupon for my sons milk.

I do buy my beef from a local farm but we eat so little beef that 100.00 worth lasts us easily 6-12 months. Then you just add up the costs for chicken, fish, veggies, fruit, dairy - it all adds up!

I could do a better job menu planning though I'm sure!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Every 2 weeks for me and hubby $100-150.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    $100-$150 and I'm by myself AND clip coupons ... The struggle is real.
  • stunmai2
    stunmai2 Posts: 5
    Options
    200 for two people mostly because I eat a lot of seafood.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from $50-100.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What's an Aldi?

It's a type of cheap supermarket (found in Holland and Germany), yet they have good quality stuff... i miss shopping in Holland as the quality is so much better and I'm always shocked positively at the cashier compared to Canada. I spend at least $250/week, but I do have 2 teenage boys and a husband.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh, and that doesn't include wine ;-)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My grocery bill wouldn't be very helpful, I have five kids and a husband to feed as well. I try to keep the whole month under $500 but it isn't easy.