Omega 3 for vegans?

Options
How do I get omega 3 as a vegan? I read that hummus has it in, but frankly I find the taste nauseating, so though I tried to force it down that failed massively. Or are there any supplements people would recommend?

Replies

• joannemgregory74
    Options
    Flaxseed is one of the most highly-recommended plant sources for omega-3s. I buy ground flaxseed -- , and because flaxseed is virtually tasteless, I throw it in all sorts of things -- cereal, porridge, smoothies -- to boost my omega-3 intake.

Flaxseed oil has 7980 mg omega-3's per 1-tbsp serving. You can buy a 500ml bottle for about £6
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Aye. Flaxseed. Comes in capsules too.
  • questermrk
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! I might look into the capsules. I kept searching for 'omega 3 vegan' and kept getting a lot of really expensive and branded products. Cheers for the help.
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes, either ground flaxseed (you don't get enough from the whole ones) or borage oil which comes in caplets. You can buy flaxseed oil and add it to your food.
    03428 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Avocado I believe
  • Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good reading for omega 3 for vegans http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed, chia seed and hemp seed regularly in my shakes and meals.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No EPA and DHA in flax. You need fish oil for that.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    flax seed is great, dulse seaweed, almond milk, coconut oil, etc
  • malecomedian
    Options
    I have been using inca inchi oil for the past year and I love it. You can find it on ebay or at http://buyveganomega3.com
    It's all natural / vegan capsule with no additives and the highest percentage of omega 3, 6 and 9 in omega 3 supplement I have ever seen. Its just a great source of omega 3 no matter what you eat. Remember, we get omega 3 from fish who eat plants rich in omega 3. The inca inchi omega 3 is from the sacha inchi seed in the Peruvian Amazon. It is the direct source. Fish are also becoming higher in mercury and other pollutants so I do not eat them. Hope this helps :)
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No EPA and DHA in flax. You need fish oil for that.

Your body can synthesize DHA from the ALA in flax although not very efficiently. Microalgae oil contains both EPA and DHA and is readily available in pill form. I take DEVA brand but there are quite a few vegan ones on the market.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    How do I get omega 3 as a vegan? I read that hummus has it in, but frankly I find the taste nauseating, so though I tried to force it down that failed massively. Or are there any supplements people would recommend?

Vega Saviseed... soooo yummy!!! 17 times more Omega 3 than wild salmon.

aka Sacha Inchii... http://myvega.com/products/vega-saviseed/features-benefits
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I was vegan (about 9 months), I made an exception for fish oil tablets. If you're vegan for ethical reasons as I was, the small amount of fish consumed via capsules for my health was worth the potential suffering of the animals. It's less than a tablespoon of oil a day. In the grand scheme of things, you're still avoiding a lot of pain and animal suffering by staying away from meat, fish, eggs, dairy, and leather.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Apparently, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts have it. I only saw that in one list so not sure how accurate that is.

Walnuts are good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options

Comparing a concentrated form of omegas with a piece of actual wild salmon is the type of advertizing that they would hope goes either unnoticed or just gets believed as a fact. Compare the same amount of fish oil concentrate and it looks like the fish oil has more, apparently vega needs to add monounsaturated fats to their concentrate, why I don't know and because salmon/fish oil is a marine oil it also has EPA and DHA, which is seen as an advantage. Why they also add twice as much omega 6's as omega 3's to their formula is another real head scratcher. I'm sure it's a good product I just hate deceiving advertizing.
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Saviseed also contais no DHA/EPA. More importantly, they may be an acquired taste. They taste like funky peanuts to me but my husband thought they were OK. Some people love them but they're kind of expensive to trash so first time saviseed eaters might want to try the snack sized bag first.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am deathly allergic to peanuts, I love their funky almost nut flavour :D