How to dress up a pot roast...

Options
124»

Replies

• MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Roast
    Salt and pepper the meat and sear before putting in the crock pot (if you want!)

Add:
    1/2 - 1 jar of banana pepper rings
    1 onion thinly sliced
    2-4 cloves of garlic. I throw these in whole

Shred meat when done and serve with pepperjack cheese on buns. We love this on whole wheat buns/rolls. Also good BBQ sauce.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom and a can of Campbell's 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom soup.....not a pepperoni pizza, but we think it's delish!
  • Coppertop1220
    Options
    Bump
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My dad always added a can of rootbeer to his, and browned the meat first. Use the usual veggies, pearl onions, carrots and red potatoes.
    I tend to like things a bit more savory, so i would add a half cup to a cup of red wine and some rosemary and garlic. (fresh herbs, not the dried)
  • Ravencheyenne24
    Ravencheyenne24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone. How do you calculate the calories in a pot roast when you add veggies and stuff? I ask this because the "Recipe" option on MFP is accounting the the broth that I use even though no-one eats the broth after the meal is cooked. Also, the servings would be 16 based on the size of the roast and the portion, but the veggies will not serve 16. How would I calculate this accurately?
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just put one in this morning and added fresh garlic, onions, mushrooms, green peppers and then put a prime rib rub on the meat and sprinkled some Lipton Onion Soup mix/packet on the top...gets a nice carmelized top which I'm a fan of. Quite a bit of sodium in the soup mix but it's tasty and easy:)
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Pork Pot Roast - Sirloin works nicely... Add 8 chopped tomatillos, half a large white onion fine dice, eight cloves of garlic, one serrano pepper diced fine, one jalapeno pepper diced fine, one teaspoon of cumin, water to cover... cook until internal temp of 160 in crock pot with thermometer... remove meat shred and put back into pot add juice of two limes, and half bunch of fresh cilantro. Serve with tortillas(or mandoline sliced jicama steamed to soften), shredded cabbage, avocado, nonfat greek yogurt and pico de gallo salsa (tomato, onion, jalapeno or serrano, garlic, lime juice).
    Beef Pot Roast - Sirloin works nicely... Add two cans of tomato paste (no salt added), half a large onion fine dice, four cloves of garlic, two canned chipotle peppers (use the whole can if everyone likes some serious heat), two teaspoons of cumin, water to cover... cook until internal temp of 150 in crock pot with thermometer... remove meat shred and put back into pot, add tablespoon of red wine vinegar, and half bunch of fresh cilantro. Serve with tortillas(or mandoline sliced jicama), shredded lettuce, avocado, nonfat greek yogurt, and pico de gallo or chipotle salsa (just blend a can of chipotle peppers in adobo with one half cup of water and one teaspoon of olive oil.

This post isn't getting enough love. God, this sounds amazing!
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    If you wanna keep it healthy and make it the most amazing thing you ever put on your plate........

1.Cut slits all in the roast, insert garlic cloves. (about 7 or more!)
    2.Rub the roast down with a DRY jerk rub.. can be found online or on the spice aisle of most grocery stores
    3.Marinade the roast overnight! in (1/2 Cup Orange Juice, 1-2 Juice of lime)
    4. Cook on low 8-9 hours with juices
    5. Prepare a MANGO salsa, (1-2 Mango chopped, 1/2 red onion chopped, 1 jalepeno chopped, 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped, 1 avacodo cubed, and juice of one lime)

So pretty much its spicy sweet and flavorful, you top it with mango salsa... I serve mine with cilantro/lime quinoa.. you could use just rice. This is absolutely AMAZING. You can find the actual recipe on skinnytaste.com , I believe the name is Jerk Roast with Caribbean Salsa.

Your family will love you for making this.
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    So all my life, I have always loved a good old-fashioned pot roast in the crockpot, but my daughter informed me last night that she thinks they are boring. I use some good seasonings, a nice piece of meat, and a few vegetables. Is there something that I could add to make it more interesting? Any suggestions?

Almost every Sunday growing up we had pot roast for lunch, usually chicken or beef, with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and one large onion, a little oregano and/or Italian seasoning. Those meals were fantastic! Then the leftovers were used to make a pot-pie for Monday night dinner (with a biscuit crust).

Maybe have her come up with a side dish for these meals?
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My mom has always just put a little salt and pepper on it and put it in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots. Everything always comes out great!

Some of the ideas in here sound good as well.