late night munchies

Options
sooooo this is really hard, i do sooooo good up until dinner. ugh! how do i fix this?

Replies

• joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I try not to eat after 8pm but I find if I have dinner at 5/6ish then I'm starving by 10pm! If I really, really have to snack then I have a piece of fruit or a rice cake. Sometimes I'll have a couple of spoonfuls of cereal with a splash of milk.

The other thing I do is drink hot chocolate. You can get low-calorie (around 30 calories a cup) hot chocolate powder that you make with water - I find this satisfies my craving for something sweet and fills me up.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have the exact sme problem - so do most of us. Here are some things that I do:

1. Save enough calories for dinner so you can have a really good and filling dinner. (I found that I was not full after dinner which did not help)
    2. Save a yummy treat but tell yourself you cannot have it until 2 hours after dinner - then off to bed
    3. Plan an activity away from the kitchen for about an hour after dinner (that's when it kicks in for me and I take the dog for a LONG walk)
    4, Get away from the Kitchen

Good luck!
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I chew gum.. and drink more water. And then, worst case scenario, I eat a handful or dried fruit (120 calories or less) or a no fat yogurt (usually 120 calories or less). That helps me. You can also drink coffee, but it's later in the day and caffeine may keep you up.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What helped me in the evenings; if I'm watching a show on TV, I'll do crunches or some basic exercise during each commercial break. This either took away my craving or gave me some exercises cals. for a small snack.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A previous trainer of mine suggested eating 1/3 cup of cottage cheese close to bed time; he said it's not bad to eat close to bed time (it's what you eat). He had told me your body still needs calories while you sleep, so it should help. Occasionally (especially after zumba class Wednesday night - 8pm'ish), I'll eat a thing of sugar-free vanilla pudding.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    sooooo this is really hard, i do sooooo good up until dinner. ugh! how do i fix this?

Well I guess you have two choices.

One is have your late night munchies and then get depressed when you don't lose weight or horror of horrors, your weight goes up or two, don't give in to the munchies and lose the weight. All depends how you look at it :wink:
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have a hard time stopping eating after dinner. I signed up for a goal on habitforge.com--you put in the habit you want to form, and they email you every morning asking if you did it the previous day. I put in "don't eat after dinner". knowing that I'll have to click "no" the next day if I do eat after dinner kind of helps :-)
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher's Kettle Corn 100 calorie packs. Perfect for night time munchies! A little bit sweet, and fills you up just enough.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    A previous trainer of mine suggested eating 1/3 cup of cottage cheese close to bed time; he said it's not bad to eat close to bed time (it's what you eat). He had told me your body still needs calories while you sleep, so it should help. Occasionally (especially after zumba class Wednesday night - 8pm'ish), I'll eat a thing of sugar-free vanilla pudding.

Low fat cottage cheese is a very good before bedtime snack because its protein is slowly absorbed. Most body builders eat cottage cheese before bed.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat snacks at night, usually popcorn or some skinny cow ice cream, I kinda follow if I am hungry and I have the cals then I should eat.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is a very good before bedtime snack because its protein is slowly absorbed. Most body builders eat cottage cheese before bed.
    I just wish it didn't have so much sodium in it!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    popcorn, rice cakes, skinny cow ice cream, an apple, all of these are good choices for munching in the evening