Resistance training and HIIT

Options
So am I doing a combination of Resistance/Strength training with some HIIT. My current goal is to shed excess fat but just the fat and still maintain my muscle mass, strengthening it as I go along. I would do a combination of Lesmill pump in the afternoon on average 3-4 times a week and Insanity and Lesmill combat in the morning about 3 times a week. Would also do one heavy day where I would focus on my chest :D. Would stretch with that for about 1-2 hours a week.. I have some muscle but fat added on to it when I got sick. I would also like to gain some muscle. Not a whole lot, 3-5 pounds.

Weight: 180
BF % 20%
Height 5"8
RMR is around 1800
Maintenance: 3300

Currently my diet breakdown is: 2100-2300 Calories, 150-200 grams of Carbs, 170-210 grams of Protein and 40-75 grams of fat.
On a rest day Would try to aim for 2000 Calories and around the same or on the lower side of the others.

Food Intake is: Fish, beef, eggs, whole wheat pasta, Oates, chicken breast, canned tuna, veggies, fruits, whey 100% gold standard, seeds, almond milk, whole wheat organic home-made bread, peanut butter.

I wish I could shed the fat and add lean muscle at the same time :( but I know thats not how it works. So am hoping If I could shred some fat it will make me look a little more cut and then add some lean muscle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• MrCoachBell
    MrCoachBell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try a 40/40/20 macro-carbs/protein/fats. I shed quite a bit of fat in my first round of Les Mills Combat using it as my cardio workouts while lifting weights. I'm 32, 5'6", 155 lbs. MFP calories to maintain is 2520.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    wouldn't you have better results by focusing on the compound lifts with low reps for the chest? 1-2 hours sounds really long.
    lots of accessory exercises. for a cut I've reading that everyone suggests low reps heavy weight, 2 working sets.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    hmmmm ok thanks. I just don't wana lose muscle mass as well. Are you saying I should up my calories? But would I lose fat still?
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    Well I don't wana add bulk with the fat. Wana shred some fat as well and want more lean. Not a whole lot of muscle. Just a little.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You are at a pretty punishing cut. If your maintenance is 3300, then 2300 is a 30% cut. That's going to be pretty counter-productive for you. If you want to gain muscle, you would be well advised to do a bulk, followed by a moderate cut (15% max) to burn the fat from your bulk. You wont' gain muscle while eating a deficit.

If you just want to cut now and lose fat, keep your protein very high, and maintain a 15% cut (2800). That is your net, meaning that you want to eat back exericse calories to maintain that 15%.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since your focus is lifting and any potential muscle gains, skip the HIIT.

HIIT is the answer for cardio-only people to get some benefit from a lifting type workout. Because that's exactly what it's like, lifting.

All out anaerobic effort with slight rest, repeat 8-12 times.

It's become as bad a fad as "fat-burning zone" now, both have it's place in a workout schedule, both can cause your time to be a big or small waste of time and energy spent.

But, trying to fit true HIIT in with lifting is about impossible, either you don't really do the HIIT, and it's just intervals (which is fine and has good cardio improvements), or you impact getting the most out of the lifting.

View HIIT as lifting for those muscles - would you lift with the same muscles day after day? Hopefully not.

Exercise tears down - rest is the recovery and repair and getting stronger, and eating right amount perhaps muscle gain too.

Your potential muscle increase will only come with fully loaded muscle by weight, not by time. One is a strength increase response, one is an endurance increase response.
    You want strength increase.

So you want as fresh as possible muscles to handle as big a load as you possibly can. You may feel like you are pushing just as hard with tired muscles because you did HIIT the day before or worked out in the am - but it's not the same as on fresh muscles, and not the same response to repair.

If you are willing to go slow on transform, one study showed 16 weeks to drop 3.5 lbs of fat and gain 3.5 lbs of LBM (they didn't measure muscle, but likely some).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement

That's eating at maintenance. You'll go slower if you have a deficit in there. And that is best estimate maintenance/TDEE level with deficit.

You could try to enhance that though by eating over maintenance 24 hrs post lifting, and take the deficit on the other 24 hrs. But that again means a rest.

The more cardio focused stuff is merely to increase your calories to eat - which you may want. But don't let it ruin a good lifting day.

And the Les Mill's stuff isn't heavy lifting, not enough rests from what I've seen taught through the windows. Not enough rest, can't lift as heavy.
    You'll get stronger, but since more endurance based, the body's response besides strength with existing muscle will be more glucose stores to endure longer.

Cardio the day after lifting should in fact be in the "fat-burning zone", better known for many years as the Active Recovery HR zone, because you aren't, hopefully, adding more load to muscles trying to rest and repair, but just increased blood flow.

I think that will hit your desired goal much better.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    ok that sounds pretty good. Well I have sports training twice a week which can be seen as Cardio I guess. Cricket. So I wouldn't mind skipping the HIIT.

Lets say I revise it to this: Would do the Lesmill pump lets say 2-3 times a week and eat maintenance on those days or just below. 2-3 times a week will do heavy. Not crazy heavy like those Hulks in the gyms but heavy enough to build lean muscle not bulk. Lets say 3-4 sets of 12-16 reps. The lesmill is complete body and then I could do the heavy for lets chest arms and back and go over maintenance on those days. Would that work? Or is that contradictory?
  • heybales
    Options
    ok that sounds pretty good. Well I have sports training twice a week which can be seen as Cardio I guess. Cricket. So I wouldn't mind skipping the HIIT.

Lets say I revise it to this: Would do the Lesmill pump lets say 2-3 times a week and eat maintenance on those days or just below. 2-3 times a week will do heavy. Not crazy heavy like those Hulks in the gyms but heavy enough to build lean muscle not bulk. Lets say 3-4 sets of 12-16 reps. The lesmill is complete body and then I could do the heavy for lets chest arms and back and go over maintenance on those days. Would that work? Or is that contradictory?

I'd watch the HR on the Lesmill stuff. If it gets above Recover Zone, then muscles are tired shooting the HR up. 50-59% of HRmax.

BTW, there is no such thing as building lean muscle or bulk. Endurance type muscle, but that's not really building it, but rather storing more glucose in what you got. New endurance muscle starts when you've tapped all you got already.
    And then strength muscle, doing lower reps. But if not building it, it doesn't get bulky anyway.
    But if you use the muscles for what they can handle, not overloading them, then there is no need to make them better - they can handle what they are being asked to do.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    ok I understand that. The endurance would be great for when am out in the sun from 9-6 playing sports. But at the same time I don't wana keep them the same, I want to add. I understand what you saying about the Lesmill and my HR does go very high with the Lesmill and my muscles feels sore the next day, like they have been stretched.
    But for adding muscle I was wondering if the formula above would help me shred the fat and gain some muscle. Remember its not a lot of muscle I want to gain. 3-5 pounds max. Not that tall so Just wana look short and stocky. Or can you recommend something. Like what a better routine would be with what my macros should be like
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, as that study showed for men.
    Newbies at lifting, so max gains there. But you've been exercising and doing sports already, so not really newbie in that sense.
    You'll be strengthening the existing muscle before more is needed.
    Eating at maintenance, because no weight lost or gained.
    3.5 lbs of LBM (which includes but is not just muscle) in 16 weeks.

So it could take 5 months if you get max recovery and max load from the lifting.

It should take you longer then as you are doing other things.

You can shorten it up by getting max recovery from the lifting, and eating in surplus for that 24 hrs post workout. Shove most of the day's calories into the 24 hrs, or really eat extra 200.

Should have protein set to 1 gr per lb of Lean Body Mass.

So if you add a load when already sore, you aren't getting full repair, perhaps little to none depending on timing and new load. Eventually you won't be sore, but muscles are still recovering even without that, so should still be given rest or at least no additional load, just gentle use.

To emphasis the endurance aspect, but still be in the muscle growth range, 12-15 reps, 2 or 3 sets as you have time. Load appropriate to almost failure of good form on last few reps.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    ok that helps a lot, thank u. I think the hardest thing is maintaining it because sometimes after a couple weeks people tend to get discouraged. But I will keep up with it this time. I was just concerned about putting on a whole bunch of fat over my muscle or losing mat. Thats why I was scared to lift heavy. But I guess its not something that happens over night and everyone is different so its trial and error. Thanks will try your suggestions and alter as I go along
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading.

I do HIIT on my non-weight training days because I don't do any other heavy cardio type stuff at all, I do weights 3 x a week and walk 5 x a week. So I do the HIIT on 2 days to keep up the cardio component.

My goal is to lose a further 15kg of fat. I do weights to keep up my LBM so that when the fat does eventually go, I'll have a nice figure underneath. I don't want to necessarily gain more muscle, just keep the amount that I have. I thought that I needed to do the cardio to burn calories on my non-weight training days. And of course it's good for general fitness.

But from HeyBales comments, maybe the HIIT is pointless. Perhaps I should just do the 3 x weights and walking?

Anyway, I'd be interested to keep an eye on this thread, see what other opinions and comments pop up.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    Under the fat tissue is plenty of hidden muscle. Keep working hard and u will see. I say high #reps with a moderate load of weights would do you just fine.