Logging cleaning as exercise?

Options
Does anyone log the "small stuff" as exercise?

Like if I walk down to the store and back and wear my heart rate monitor watch and log the calories burned.

I'm startinh some crazy cleaning in about 10 mins, from mopping, washing walls, scrubbing bathrooms top to bottom ect..,its gonna take at least two weeks of everyday scrubbing to get this place sparkling clean.
I don't really like to log tho unless it's ACTUAL exercise, if that makes any sense.

Replies

• mary2178
    mary2178 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I log my deep serious cleaning that keeps me constantly moving and twisting and bending. But the day to day items such as folding laundry or doing dishes, I do not log. I also don't tend to log my short walks. I count that as extra calorie burning that helps me if I don't measure something I eat exactly so the two can wipe eachother out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I consider "small stuff" to be part of my daily activity level.

Walking to the store could definitely be logged as exercise .... just focus on keeping a brisk pace & pump your arms. Short walks ... no I don't bother.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    I log my deep serious cleaning that keeps me constantly moving and twisting and bending. But the day to day items such as folding laundry or doing dishes, I do not log. I also don't tend to log my short walks. I count that as extra calorie burning that helps me if I don't measure something I eat exactly so the two can wipe eachother out.

True. Although I log my walk to the store because its pure uphil the whole way back and a good calorie burn. Also if I'm going for a long walk like this morning to my boys school which took 54 mins and burned 700 cals, heck yes I'm logging that lol
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't count my chores, as I upped my activity level very high. However, I do get extra points for exercising when I wear my fitbit synced to MFP. Sometimes, it's not very much, other days it's 700! It's a nice surprise @ the end of the day.
  • jafy23
    jafy23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i only log if i spend more then an hour cleaning
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    True. Although I log my walk to the store because its pure uphil the whole way back and a good calorie burn. Also if I'm going for a long walk like this morning to my boys school which took 54 mins and burned 700 cals, heck yes I'm logging that lol
    Definitely log that!!!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything whenever I clean up!
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No, never- but I don't eat back exercise calories either so it wouldn't really matter to me. Tons of folks do though and I think it helps keep some people motivated- so if it makes you happy, do it!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    When I clean it's usually been a while, therefore, it takes a LOT of work, so I always count it as exercise!:smile:
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do not. For one it means more stuff to log... ugh. And I wouldn't consider it enough of a workout unless it was heavy duty like moving furniture and cleaning out a whole area or something.. and even then I wouldn't log it.
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    Some will say log it some will say it is silly to and other will go on a rampage on how we should log breathing if we log cleaning. This has been a topic before. For me, I say do what YOU want to do when it comes to logging. We all log differently. Some of us will log everything and others just log heavy work. Whatever will help you is what you should do.

For myself, All walks get logged because I am fairly inactive so I know every little bit helps. As for cleaning, I will log if I do a big overhaul cleaning but not a tidy up clean :-)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For every day cleaning of the kitchen and living room, no. I consider that part of my normal activity.

For the deep spring cleaning that you are talking, I do log it because I usually break a sweat and keep it up for several hours. When I do log it, I only log half the time. For example, a few days ago, I spent 6-7 hours cleaning at a high intensity, but I did not log all the time. I only logged like 2-3 hours.

Also, just because you log it, doesn't mean you have to eat those calories back. I only eat them back if I am hungry and need an extra snack. But that's just me, you do with that what you need to do to be satisfied at the end of the day. Don't not eat them back and then be hungry all night!
  • dachiri
    dachiri Posts: 14
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what you set your activity level to. If you, like me, started off with "sedentary," then it seems to make sense to log everything, since a truly sedentary person isn't cleaning or walking to the store. Obviously sedentary people do more than breathe, but, judging by the calorie limits if you select sedentary, they're pretty much so walking to the bathroom, from the car to the store/work across the parking lot, and not much else. So, yeah, I log cooking and cleaning. Especially since I cook once for the whole week and that can end up with me spending an hour or more bouncing around the kitchen doing 10 things at once.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories back so no, I don't count things like cleaning as "exercise". Sometimes I'll count washing my car by hand or mowing using a push mower though.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do but I have 6 kids in my house and 6 animals. So I am most generally fighting constantly to keep it clean so I am always running up and down te stairs with laundry, doing dishes sweeping several times a day mopping dusting making beds and cooking. I do 90% of all of my cooking from scratch, and 100% of all of the cooking in the house. In the summer I have a huge garden that gets over run by weeds so I spend a couple hours every mornign before it gets to hot pulling weeds. So ya I am going to count that as exercise!