3rd week of Insanity = knee pain in my left leg!

Options
I'm overweight, and I've finally gotten the motivation & will power to start insanity & start eating better all the way around. I'm not on any specific diet, although I'm really just eating healthier, watching my bad carb intake, keeping it strictly on water, rarely unsweet tea or cranberry juice (soda's were so hard to give up). Insanity is very tough, but this is the first time I have really tried to stick with something & be dedicated to it. I have a few other friends who are overweight & doing it as well & have also had some slight knee pain. Every Sunday is my off day, however on Day 13 (Saturday) I couldn't do it because my left knee was so tender & in a lot of pain. I bought a knee compress & have been icing my knee, along with aleve & icy hot. Is anyone having any issues like this or is it because I was hardly active before & am overweight as well? Any suggestions other than what I'm doing to help with the pain?

Replies

• Pinkemi
    Pinkemi Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had problems with your knees before?

I am doing Insanity too and had a severe pain in my right knee after week too. I personally took an extra days break just to let it flair down a bit for that week. No point in damaging your knees permantly. (But i have always had problems with my knees.)

It is most likely that your form is out! (I have problems with this.) Really check that you are leading with your hips and not your knees on things like the squats.. as this will definatly put extra pressure on the knees. I always tell myself to SIT BACK when doing a squat. :)

Hope this helps.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Toward the end of my Insanity (week 7 or 8), I started getting pain in my right knee toward the top of it. I noticed this after doing the Plyo workout due to all the jumping. I ended up cutting this workout out of my last week and subbing in another workout (I did the weights workout that comes as a bonus DVD).

If it hurts, take a breat and let your body recover. Do the recovery workouts as a substitue and pick the program back up when you feel better. If the paid persists, see a doctor about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Most of the time pain happens with home DVD's is because form is off. One thing to see it, another to actually do it correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing Crosstrainers? They are good to wear with Insanity. You can modify the moves as well. I hope this helps.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Really pay attention to form.....make sure the knees are not past the toes in lunges, make sure your jumps are what you can handle (and if you are overweight might I suggest complementing with an alternative exercise as they knees cannot withstand that weight). I have had many surgeries on my knee (degenerative disorder) and it will have to be replaced someday....but I have no issues with Insanity...and it's probably due to my diligence with form (which has been drilled into my head with years of physio). If you are having sharp pain then stop immediately and do an alternative exercise. If you plan to do some treatments be careful with the "warm/hot" items...if you have any swelling these will increase blood flow there...stick with ice, elevation and rest.

Good luck!!!
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i'm entereing week 3 of insanity (this week is my 3rd week), but i did notice that during the first week, i had problems with my lower back, but just as everyone before me said, it was all bad form. Once i slowed down and paid more attention to that, the pain went away.
    And I strongly agree that, if it's painful, take a day off to recover
  • conejatracy
    Options
    I did insanity for 6 weeks and couldn't walk up and down the stairs I had so much pain in the knees and ankles. I did some research on it and people were syaing that a little weight loss is needed before starting something like insanity as it's too much weight on your joints and the work out is soooo intense. My Dr. told me the same thing. Sometimes better to start off a little slower, drop a few pounds and then move onto insanity?
  • gracieallen45
    Options
    Had a similar problem used some sprays and pills for knee pain but no use with all, then i used supplement Replenex for the knee pain for 2 to 3 months, the miracle is i loss weight and got relief from knee pain really glad about the supplement.