Anyone have no salt or low salt products to share?

Options
My husband has high blood pressure and we're always on the look out for great tasting products that contain no salt or are low in salt.

TIA!

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meats that aren't commercially packaged. You know..... whole foods of all kinds.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Your question is really vague.
    What kind of products?

But yeah, get wholefoods and then cook your own food. That is the best way to keep salt (and additives) out.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    The best way to cut down on salt is to avoid pre-packaged food. You can still use table salt, generally. I season my food generously (lots of soy sauce!) and don't really have a problem staying under 1,500mg as long as I stay away from pre-made foods.

The worst offender is bread. Bread and bagels always kill my sodium count.

The only specific low-sodium product I use is Vogue Cuisine Low Sodium Vegebase to make soups. It's the best soup base ever, and it's low enough in sodium that you can add your own salt to taste and still keep the soup low in sodium.
  • Jhawker1994
    Options
    I apologize, guess I should have expanded on my original post. :smile: Really just looking for good low sodium products like condiments, etc. We're slowly trying to stop using convenience foods - but it's hard with both of us working and 4 kids. So until we have the time to make our own spaghetti sauce, etc we're looking for some tried and true product recommendations. (Hate spending $$ on stuff only to find out it was wasted on something that tastes like blah.)

Oh, and thank you for the soup base recommendation. I've been using some no sodium boullion to make chicken veg soup or beef stew and it just doesn't have the right flavor.
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can also buy "lite" salt (I believe Morton's makes some) that has less sodium in it...still tastes the same. So if you are worried about adding regular salt to things like soup, this is an option too.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with the little lady when it comes to seasoning...Mrs. Dash.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My hubby has high blood pressure so we use a lot of the Epicure brand of seasonings. They are very low in salt/sodium if they have any, and are wonderfully flavourful.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Fruits and Veggies

Fresh vegetables and fruits are low in calories, sodium and cholesterol. Produce also does not have cholesterol, saturated fat or trans fat, according to "American Dietetic Association Low-Salt Cookbook." These foods tend to be high in vitamins as well. There are a few exceptions---olives, coconuts and avocados, which all are high in fat. If you purchase frozen fruits or veggies, check labels to ensure the product doesn't have added sugar, salt or butter. If you're on a low-salt diet, avoid veggies packed in brine because they'll be high in sodium.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/240022-list-of-low-fat-low-salt-low-cholesterol-foods/#ixzz2RDE4NwF2
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Dairy

Fat free milk is low in calories, fat and cholesterol. Seek milk products such as cheese and sour cream that are marked both fat free and low sodium, recommends the American Heart Association. According to Ohio State University, you may use 1 percent milk products on a low-fat, low-cholesterol and low-sodium diet meant to boost heart health, but you must avoid 2 percent milk products.

Fish

Fish are generally low in calories, fat and cholesterol. However, you need to be cautious in preparing fish so you don't add undesired fat and calories to it, according to Ohio State University. Broil, bake, grill or poach your fish for best results. The fish that do have a higher fat content, including salmon, have omega-3 fatty acids. Such fats are heart healthy, prompting recommendations to eat fish three times weekly.

Herbs and Spices

Herbs and spices are low in fat, calories and cholesterol. In fact, if you are trying to cut calories and salt from your diet to improve heart health, herbs are a good way to add flavor to your food, recommends Ohio State University. For example, ginger is good in fruits and chicken; thyme adds flavor to lean meats, sauces and soups; turmeric is good on fish and rice; cinnamon enhances the flavor of fruit; and dried mustard is good on a variety of meats and poultry, salads, broccoli and cabbage and in sauces, according to the American Heart Association.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/240022-list-of-low-fat-low-salt-low-cholesterol-foods/#ixzz2RDEDlm7m
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Prairie Farms has a 50% less sodium cottage cheese that to me tastes just as good as regular. It's low fat too!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate chicken in Ken's Steakhouse No sodium Sesame Ginger sauce and marinade. I often have this for lunch on a chicken breast baked in the oven. I'll put it on a roll if I'm in the mood for a sandwich.
  • Snatched614
    Snatched614 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash come in a variety of flavor options.