Gained 3 lbs by doing the exact same thing like last week :(

Options
I usually weigh in on Mondays at my gym. Last Monday I was 137 lbs, did the same exercises, same calories the entire week and today I was 140 lbs. I am trying my best to not feel down about all this. I know that I ate good, exercised the entire week . So weight can fluctuate on a daily basis. Do u think it would be a good idea for me to weigh in sometime middle of this week by Wed or just stick to my Monday weigh ins??

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It could be something as simple as water weight... also some ladies weigh a bit more during that time of month. I would just stick to what you are doing now so that you can see the trends over weeks/months rather than week 1 vs week 2.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I know if you start plateauing they recommend you change what exercises you do because if you do the same ones for too long they become less effective. I wouldn't have thought that would make you gain 3 lbs, but it might be worth changing it up a bit.

Also if you're on or around your period that can make your weight fluctuate a lot. And maybe you're replacing some fat with muscle! Have you tried measuring yourself?
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know its frowned upon, but I generally weight myself everyday. For me, it helps keep track of my ups and downs. Because I know that a 3lb fluctuation from one day to the next isn't fat gain, I can do this and stay sane. I'd say try it for a week or two and see how you feel.

Also, don't rely too much on the number on the scale. Keep track of your measurements. Some weeks you won't lose a pound, but your waist will go down an inch.

Slow, steady, and sustainable weightloss is what I tell myself. You didn't gain the weight that quickly, so don't expect to steadily lose 2 lbs a week, every week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water weight. Are you around your time of the month? Have you eaten anything high in sodium the last couple of days? Have you been drinking enough water? Unless the weight sticks around for more than 2 weeks I wouldn't worry about it. I sometimes hold on to water weight for 6 days. Just give it time.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would just stick with your Monday weigh-ins. It could have been something as simple eating a tad to much salt, drinking an extra glass of water, weighing before a BM, or my personal favorite wearing different clothes when you weighed in. There is any number of reasons it could have happened. Weigh in next week and see where you are before you get to upset. If it goes up or doesn't change maybe cut 50 or 100 calories, if that doesn't help add 50 or 100 calories. Every "body" is different you may just need to play with your work out routine and mix it up.
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of weighing every day. I have no idea why. I don't necessarily get discouraged but it doesn't help much either. I find that the morning after my work out classes I tend to weight a little more, I understand that is probably because my muscles are holding water. I'm also not as regular as I was before I started MFP (go figure and I know TMI!). So that effects my weight a lot as well. I would say just stick with it and see where you are over the next few weeks.
  • PandaPudges
    Options
    Drink water.

I find if I weigh in in the morning and I don't like the result... I put off breakfast for an hour or two and I drink a liter of water or something like it... After I pee again I can lose up between 1 and 4 lbs right there just by flushing sodium out.

If you take your weight, half it, and then drink that number in ounces of water a day, you won't see a weight gain again. It's what I have been doing for the past week or so and I have not gone above my current weight and have also gone down.

Water is the answer for unexpected weight gain. It is absolutely essential.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to go poop! sorry, dont mean to sound gross, but, that would make sense...
  • MsDarlene1004
    MsDarlene1004 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Once you start exercising you start to build muscle.. and MUSCLE is HEAVIER than fat. Try measuring yourself in a few different areas, e.g., bust, waist and hips for starters. Then continue on with your routine and then measure again in a couple weeks to see the difference. If you are sticking to the same nutrition plan, and the only thing you're now changing up is exercising, this is why your POUNDS are going up... but I can almost guarantee you that you are LOSING INCHES instead!!! Sometimes we need to be less focused on the scale and more focused on ALL our results. Try it and see if that works!! :happy:

p.s. If you are JUST plateauing then try to change around your routine a little bit and usually that helps get you unstuck.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Its probably water weight.

Try weighing in again at the end of the week.

I am stuck in a plateau and in the middle of it was pissed that I "gained" 2 lbs even though I had been doing the same exact calorie levels and exercise. I weighed myself at the end of the week and I had lost those 2 lbs. Im still stuck in my plateau though. Hopefully at the end of this week the weight will go down.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in on Mondays at my gym. Last Monday I was 137 lbs, did the same exercises, same calories the entire week and today I was 140 lbs. I am trying my best to not feel down about all this. I know that I ate good, exercised the entire week . So weight can fluctuate on a daily basis. Do u think it would be a good idea for me to weigh in sometime middle of this week by Wed or just stick to my Monday weigh ins??
    Weight loss isn't linear. That's why the scale isn't always the best indicator of body recomp.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I gained a pound this week. My goal is to lose a pound/week. It's happened to me before and I find that it is still averaging out to a pound/week for the last 15 weeks. Besides, my clothes are fitting better and I have more energy so I don't place that much value on the scale reading.