need assistance

Options
I recently found out that bananas have a ton of carbs. I am trying to cut carbs fom my diet and eating 1 banana and 2 eggs puts me over my budget and i havent even gotten to lunch yet. Should I avoid Bananas altogether? And also I LOVE my coffee and swiched to a low fat creamer. I cannot have coffee without a creamer or some kind of sugar. I know to stay away from sugar so is there a better kind of sweatener i should be using if i just use powder creamer or plain ol milk?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There is no need to eat anything that doesn't fit into your goals. (As long as your goals are healthy and sustainable.) If you don't want to eat bananas, substitute them for something else. You'll be fine.

You can use fake sweetner if you find that works for you, too. I tolerate Equal pretty well. That's not a problem. If you have a hard time reaching your calorie goal, try switching to the full fat versions. Not always a need to go low-cal on everything.
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. Some people use Splenda or Equal, but I try to avoid sucralose and aspartame as much as I can because there's some information about them being less healthy/having to do with cancer. Stevia is a no calorie sweetener, but it comes from a leaf, so it's natural. Not a chemical. That, and I think it tastes better.

It's all a personal preference though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to avoid carbs, then no more sugar and bananas.

However, there is no reason in the world to cut out carbs. In fact I think it's one of the dumbest things people can do.
  • shadow2207
    shadow2207 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Ill definatly switch to stevia. im not cutting carbs out completely, but i do need to keep them as low as i can. I cant excorcize as much as i would like due to health issues so I need to rely on eating better to loose weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    but i do need to keep them as low as i can.

Why?
  • sciontc2
    sciontc2 Posts: 15
    Options
    i find that if i dont keep my carbs very low very very low then I gain weight.
    I lose when my carbs are low.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    The average banana has 17.5 grams of carbohydrates
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    switch to berries. I cut my carbs down to max 150g a day...and fruit just doesn't fit in. I eat tons of vegetables to compensate my fruit loss. If I do blow over my carbs by eating fruit, I'm not to stressed out about it. But if you have to have that something sweet in the morning, try blueberries.
  • shadow2207
    Options
    Same here, I cant get out and walk because of my back, so i rely heavily on eating better and do what i can as far as activities go. Im not healthy enough to eat carbs and burn them off, so i need to do other things
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Im not healthy enough to eat carbs and burn them off

Huh? This statement doesn't make any sense at all.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Worried about the carb content in eggs? I smell troll.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Maybe its the type of carbs you are eating that is giving you problems. Research simple vs complex carbs and that will help you understand the types of carbs and what is (or isn't) good for your body. I suspect a reduction in simple carbs may be beneficial to you but there really is no need to reduce complex carbs when eaten in moderation. In fact, they will HELP you moderate your blood sugar levels and keep away the cravings longer.

Truvia to me is the best non-sugar sugar I can find (not artifical).

Good luck.
  • WeightTilNextTime
    WeightTilNextTime Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have no answers for you but these are GREAT questions, thank you for asking. I am following Weight Watchers Points Plus Plan and on this plan "most" fruits and and vegetables are zero points so we are welcome, within reason, to fill up on them. The plan really works, but it is kind of shocking to see how much sugar I have consumed on a day when I am at, sometimes even well below, my WW points limit. I look forward to reading what our more experienced and savvy MFP members have to say.
  • shadow2207
    Options
    Are you kidding me doodle? You think I'm trolling? Wow. I am asking a legit question because i was trying to follow the atkins diet, or find some healthy way to loose weight because my mobilit is limitedd and I cant get out and be as active as I want to. I want to keep my carbs low so it all dont turn to fat on me since i cant burn them off like regular people. What you smell is your *kitten*, and maybe you should get all up in there and wash it befor you judge someone who s trying to start a healthy lifestyle.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    i was trying to follow the atkins diet

Don't do the Atkins diet. Carbs won't "all turn into fat on me since I can't burn them off like regular people." This doesn't even make sense. It's the kind of nonsense fad diets come up with to justify the diets.

Focus on calories. You should know intuitively that a diet that makes it easier to eat bacon and forbids bananas is wrong.

Atkins is not "a healthy lifestyle." It's a fad quick-fix diet plan.
  • shadow2207
    Options
    I need to loose as much weight by late june when i get my surgery. then after the surgery i can eat whatever I want to be healthy. Im getting a spinal fusion and really need to kick this into high gear. I know rapid weight loss isnt healthy but i want to do it the right way and still loose as much as i can. my goal is 22 pounds by june 26
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I need to loose as much weight by late june when i get my surgery. then after the surgery i can eat whatever I want to be healthy. Im getting a spinal fusion and really need to kick this into high gear. I know rapid weight loss isnt healthy but i want to do it the right way and still loose as much as i can. my goal is 22 pounds by june 26

22 pounds in 9 weeks? That's not too outside the realm of possibility if you're very overweight.

But, still, Atkins is a terrible terrible way to do that.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    As for the coffee, I use vanilla almond milk or plain almond milk with splenda (although I just saw that Truvia is on sale so I'm going to get that instead).
    Banana's are hard to fit in if you are tracking carbs or even sugars. I don't recommend Atkins or going way low carb, it's really messed of a lot of people's metabolism, but if you can't fit bananas in your carb/calorie goals just eat something else instead.
  • shadow2207
    Options
    Mayby not nessasarily atkins, but i think keepinf carbs and sugars as low as i can will def help concidering my lack of mobility. I did lose 25 lbs in 1 month following sparkspeople diet, but i was walking 12 miles a week and doing resistance band training. now im so limited to my movements that waling 1 mile without a break is damn near impossible.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Mayby not nessasarily atkins, but i think keepinf carbs and sugars as low as i can will def help concidering my lack of mobility. I did lose 25 lbs in 1 month following sparkspeople diet, but i was walking 12 miles a week and doing resistance band training. now im so limited to my movements that waling 1 mile without a break is damn near impossible.

So walk half a mile.

Just don't do Atkins.