5k Run Help/Tips Please

Options
Hi,

In order to help my fitness goals and raise money for Cancer Research UK (a cause close to my heart) I have signed up for a 5k run for Race For Life in a few weeks time.

I am NOT a runner and would basically be building up my endurance from scratch, is the couch to 5k app any good?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great! My only concern is that you might not have time to complete the program if your race is in a few weeks. Get rid of the idea that you have to run the whole thing, and enjoy yourself at the event. Many people walk 5Ks, especially charity events.

If you really want to run it, though (or at least part of it), then try the Couch to 5K, or a modified version of it--but first, go to your local specialty running store and get fitted by the staff with proper shoes. Ideally, they will have you run or walk on a treadmill and assess your gait, plus ask you a lot of questions about your goals.

Then, start the program. I don't know how far it will take you by the time of your event, but make sure you at least walk the distance a few times to get a sense of how far it is and how much of it you can reasonably run. And don't push yourself to run it all if your fitness isn't there yet! It's very easy to get overuse injuries by doing too much, too soon in running. When you do your running portions of the program, GO SLOW. It's vital to build endurance before speed--if you stick with this, you will get faster eventually. And if you don't, then presumably your goal is completing this 5K, so speed isn't the issue.

Best of luck!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    +1 to what majope said.

Go ahead and start C25K now and don't worry about running an entire 5K. Take it slow & easy and have fun with the program. Good luck!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am on week 3 of couch to 5k. It is AWESOME, I love this app. I think it is a 9 week program so you might not finish it before your run, but you can always walk any part of the 5k you need to. Download the app today, dont forget to stretch before and after.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    Another vote for couch to 5k here! As others have said, may not be enough time to complete the programme before your run, but it'll get you at least started. I would also add that Race for Life isn't just about running a race - in fact that's probably the least important part of the day. It's very community spirited, with lots of people in fancy dress (your eyes will hurt from the amount of pink!) and a lot of people walking it. I think when I did it there were a few people who were even doing the whole thing as a 3-legged race! Whilst there is a clock on site, it's not a competitive race in the slightest so you don't need to worry about finishing last or anything like that - if you're running any part of it, you'll be in the top half of finishers I should imagine.

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself - good luck!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner, you'll probably not run the whole thing since it's only a few weeks away. c25k takes about 9 weeks, and builds up endurance from running for 1 minute at a time to 30 minutes at a time. Most likely, you will not be running a full 5k by the time you are done with the 9 weeks, as running at 6mph is way too fast for a beginner.

If you're already athletic, though, you'll probably do great. You don't necessarily need to be a runner to do a 5k. My husband ran 5k no problem after never having really run in his life. But he's a hockey and tennis player so the cardiovascular endurance and leg strength were already there. I know crossfitters who've run 5ks (and made decent time) without ever running for more than 1600m in training.

Other than that, though, just run as much as you can and enjoy the race. You might be surprised how far you can go just running off adrenaline from the crowd (or so I have heard :) ).
  • stephlaarr
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

I have downloaded the app and am going for my first jog tonight, I have also been going to some of the Les Mills classes so I'm hoping they may have helped my endurance some bit :)

I have 7 weeks so I'm not aiming to run the entire thing anymore but I would like to give it my best try and as well as running for charity it's nice to have a goal for increasing my fitness!

Thanks again for all the advice, I'm new to this site and didn't expect such positive help :)

Steph xx
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you have 7 weeks, you might be able to run the whole thing.

After week two (I think that's the week where it splits), you can do it for distance and not time. You won't get all the way to 5k in training, but people who train for really long distance runs don't get to their full distance in training either.

:)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    If you have 7 weeks, you might be able to run the whole thing.

I would agree. You might just surprise yourself how far you can run. Just run the race at a comfortable pace and I think you'll do fine. Good luck!!
  • stephlaarr
    Options
    Thanks again guys,

I did better than I thought tonight so fingers crossed I'll be able to run it :) xx