Restarting metabolism after years of calorie restricting?

Options
Does anyone have any ideas or know how long it takes to regain a normal metabolism after years of strict calorie restriction, along with serious carb restriction.
I have suffered from this and now that I am trying to regain normal eating behaviors as soon as I eat "normal" for a couple of days the weight comes on so quickly and now I am over a healthy weight and I am still not eating that much and I work out as well.
Does anyone know if my metabolism will restart or how long it will take?
Thank you in advance

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long but try increasing your calories by 100 per day for the first week then add another 100 the second week, so on and so on until you get back to "normal". So if you are currently eating 900 cals/ day, for the next week try 1000, the week after 1100, then 1200 etc. This way there wont be a large increase in calories for your body to store as fat.
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you, I need to try this and stick with it.
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    you need to take it really slowly. If you suddenly surge your body with calories or carbs it will just store it. I also recomend what erickirb said. Also add the by slowly increasing the percentage of them in your diet while lowering your fat and protien percentages. If you are at 10% carb 50% protein 40% fat. next week change to 15% carb 45% protein 40% fat. then 20 45 35. and keep changing until you find a balance right for you.
  • thinsky
    Options
    Its been about 6 years of restricting, and now that i am thinking about starting a family, I have tried to eat more and the weight has come on and stuck and I am just at a loss for what to do.
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    Its been about 6 years of restricting, and now that i am thinking about starting a family, I have tried to eat more and the weight has come on and stuck and I am just at a loss for what to do.

don't worry. your body has to get used to the fact that it has more energy to use. I have yo-yoed many times like that myself. Your body is a little shocked right now. but once you are leveled out you will be able to drop the weight very easily once again.
    Also make sure you are doing strength training as well as cardio. The more muscle you have the more your body will accept the fact that you need to eat more food.
    Your goal needs to be a healthy lifestyle so don't worry about your weight until you are eating right. You can do it :)
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree on taking it slowly.. your metabolism will come right but its best not to do anything too quickly or your body wont handle the change well.

And definately include strength training into your exercise routine. Muscle does burn a lot of calories and it will help boost your metabolism!

All the Best!!
  • thinsky
    Options
    thank you sweetoblivion it makes sense that I need to focus on being healthy and then things will work out it is so hars seeing m size get larger and know that it shouldn't be. Thank you both
  • agiddens
    agiddens Posts: 4
    Options
    This was quite helpful to me as well.. .. I find myself wanting to eat all time... small snacks.... is that my metabolisim starting up or am I just greedy ( as a friend says)
  • thinsky
    Options
    I dont know where you strict with your intake before and now that you are not, you are more hungry? This issue is so hard for me as it seems I shouldn't be gaining weight on the caloric intake that I am at. I know that it is higher then what it was before but it is still not 900 caloires and I am already gaining weight. Scary stuff...
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options
    This was quite helpful to me as well.. .. I find myself wanting to eat all time... small snacks.... is that my metabolisim starting up or am I just greedy ( as a friend says)

It could be your metabolism getting better or it could be that you are restricting your calories to much and your body is yelling at you for food. If you are hungry you need to eat. eat something small and healthy with a little protein like some peanuts or a piece of fruit. Not eating when you stomach is yelling is a sure fire way to cause your metabolism to drop fast.
  • quilinna
    quilinna Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a question about this too
    Doesn't drinking water help get a faster metabolism