women that lift - help needed

Options
Is your goal to get bigger or toned? Slightly confused with weights. i want to gain some muscle, but not be big and manly. I would like to see definition without being all vains and too much muscle. how should I be doing this? 12 -15 reps as heavy as I can go? 3 or 4 sets? lots of protein? I am 35% protein on my macros I believe Any advice is appreciated. want to be friends with some women that lift weights for motivation. thanks.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Without testosterone, you will not be big and manly. I know a couple girls that can deadlift over 200 and still look like cute, harmless little girly-girls. Unless you plan on juicing, or suffer from a known hormonal imbalance, lift like it's your personal job. You won't end up looking like anything but a woman.
  • sara_alexandra
    sara_alexandra Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit 4x a week and lift heavy every class. I'm a supporter of heavy lifting for women. YOU WILL NOT BULK UP. I PROMISE YOU THIS. Our bodies are not able to get bulky. The women you see that are bulky eat a certain way and/or take supplements to look like that. I'd say do 3 sets of 5 at a weight that feels heavy to you.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get "big and manly" from lifting weights unless you're a special snowflake or are using all sorts of supplements. Look into a program like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women if you're unsure of what you should be doing.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I lift to get toned and to add some muscle definition. I don't lift too heavy. I have muscles in my shoulders and back that I never knew were there, but I'm not bulky by no means. I love the definition that I have.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    You'll get exactly what you're looking for by lifting heavy! Like other posters have said, it is genetically impossible for women to bulk up to the image you probably have in your head. I've actually LOST weight and inches by increasing my daily calorie intake, increasing my protein intake, and lifting as heavy as I can go! I'm starting New Rules of Lifting for Women this week...got the book for less than $10 off Amazon.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above.

Unless you have manly amounts of testosterone AND use steroids, you won't look bulky or manly.

I do compound lifts 3x per week. Feel free to add for motivation.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to get bigger or toned? Slightly confused with weights. i want to gain some muscle, but not be big and manly. I would like to see definition without being all vains and too much muscle. how should I be doing this? 12 -15 reps as heavy as I can go? 3 or 4 sets? lots of protein? I am 35% protein on my macros I believe Any advice is appreciated. want to be friends with some women that lift weights for motivation. thanks.

That is only possible if your a man in disguise
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    and if you are thats the best disguise I have ever seen lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    bumping so that all the awesome beautiful lifter ladies on my friends list can chime in and show you just how bulky they are.
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    I want to read that book about lifting for women..., I hear it's got some really great information!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    1. If you are at a deficit, you will not gain muscle, period.

2. If you do gain muscle, it will be only with a lot of hard work. You won't accidentally get too bulky.

3. How vascular you are depends on how much body fat you keep on top of your muscle. You can be softer or more defined depending on body fat, not the size of your muscles.

Read Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women to get a better handle on the principles and programs
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Without testosterone, you will not be big and manly. I know a couple girls that can deadlift over 200 and still look like cute, harmless little girly-girls. Unless you plan on juicing, or suffer from a known hormonal imbalance, lift like it's your personal job. You won't end up looking like anything but a woman.

^^this...and eat a cr@p ton of food.

Vascularity is some genetics but mainly low body fat. If you want to be 'softer' looking - keep you body fat a little higher than the women you see with identifiable veins.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My $0.02:

Low Reps + High Weight = Enjoy your sexy new bod!

There is only 1 woman on MFP that I think looks "bulky" (and even then it's only her thighs) ALL the rest of them look freaking awesome.. lift away girlfriend!!!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've lifted heavy off and on for 20 years. I started Stronglifts 5x5 about 7 weeks ago. My profile pic is of my manly arms.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Unless you're really TRYING to get big and bulky, you won't. You lack the testosterone (and hopefully the steroids) to get bulky like that.

Like c8lin, I do compound barbell lifts three times per week, have been for the last two months, and the only thing that is happening to me is the fat is going away and I am looking & feeling better than I have in a very long time. :bigsmile:

One of the other benefits of heavy lifting is that I am burning enough calories to be able to eat at a much higher calorie allowance than I did when I was just putzing around with the 30DS or walking the neighborhood. :love:

Don't forget the other benefits like stronger bones, carrying heavier things without help, and how great your arms will look in a sleeveless shirt, LOL....

ETA: I saw this link before I started lifting, and it sure did shove me in the right direction:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options

This
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and I'm not directing this at you specifically OP, but more the pop culture that perpetuates these myths; I find it really VERY insulting when women fear they will become hugley muscular and manly by weight training.

I'm a 23 year old male so I'm pretty damn anabolic compared to most people but still have to put in 5+ hours a week of balls to the wall, very frigging heavy lifting to stimulate even a LITTLE muscle growth. Bodybuilders achieve greater results through the use of AAS that aren't naturally present (well.. at least not in those quantities) in the human body.

It doesn't happen by accident. Not for men, and definitely not for women.

Stop worrying, and get your *kitten* under a barbell.
  • froggerhkc
    froggerhkc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You will not get "manly and bulky", it's not possible. If you want to be strong and sexy and burn fat, lift heavy! I started out with the New Rules of Lifting for Women (finished stage 1) and this week I am beginning the starting strength workout plan.

I did my measurements after the first month of new rules and lost 3% body fat. I am starting to see, and definitely feel my muscles.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of good info plus a diet plan and some recipes. Those women you see in ads are are steroids, etc. Don't worry.