Low Carb, high protien breakfast ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    egg whites scrambles with turkey pepperoni or turkey suasage with a side of Cottage cheese
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Hiya everyone

im trying to reduce the fat around my middle which i know therefore means trying to keep starchy carbs to a minimum

can anyone help me think of any low calorie/carb and high protein breakfast ideas please?

i was thinking of a fruit smoothie but its so high in sugar that im worried it will convert to stomach fat

thankyou :)

I agree with others that you should have a little bit of carbs in your First meal and gradually cut back throughout the day, if that is what you are doing.

As for the Sugar issue with the smoothies, if the sugar is from fruit, you shouldnt worry. Processed & refined sugars are the ones you ahve to watch out for...sugar in fruits is good for you. I am hypoglycemic and I have to watch my sugar, PERIOD. But, with fruit, it doesnt affect it as much as you may think. I used to think that ALL SUGARS were the same but, if you have fresh fruit, even putting it in smoothies, it really is good for you. Now, that is NOT fruit JUICE but actual fresh fruit.

Many of the suggestions you have recieved for breakfast ideas are GREAT...I will take some of them myself! :-)
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a great recipe on here a couple of weeks ago... I modified it a little for my taste

I call them "mini-quiche"

4-6 egg whites
    1/3 cup shredded cheese (I use the weight watchers shredded cheese)
    mushrooms
    bell peppers
    spinach
    1 tbsp olive oil

Sautee the mushrooms, peppers and spinach. Mix the veggies, cheese and egg whites. Pour mixture into muffin pans and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Add or subtract veggies to taste. 4 egg whites will yeild 6 and 6 egg whites will yield 8. About 50 calories each. Filling and yummy.
  • mccoysusan21
    Options
    I have a weightloss group if anyone is interested its called LETS CHANGE TOGETHER on facebook
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i love scrambled eggs with sweet onion , mushrooms, spinach and goat or feta cheese. i spray the pan with pam, first cook the onions, then add mushrooms, then eggs, then spinach and cheese. love it
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually have a two egg omelette with bacon bits, cheese, mushrooms, ham--fried in butter--with a black coffee w/coconut oil stirred in (sounds weird, but it's good, rich, and creamy!) if I have time, and if not then I'll either have a low carb chocolate protein shake with all natural peanut butter or if I'm REALLY in a rush then I'll have pepperoni sticks & cheese sticks and a handful of almonds.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally be full w/ just a fruit smoothie. I do a smoothie in the morning that has protein and healthy fats along w/ fruits for taste and it keeps me full until lunch. It's relatively low carb/low sugar (only carbs from fruit/veg). It generally looks like this:

1 scoop protein powder (100 cals, 25g protein) - Now sports, whey isolate, plain
    1 Tbsp high lignan flax seed oil (healthy fats, omega 3s) (110 cals)
    1 Tbsp ground flax seeds (30 cals)
    3/4 to 1 cup spinach or kale (you don't taste it) (16 cals or less)
    2/3 cup frozen blueberries OR 1 cup frozen strawberries (50ish cals)
    1 kiwi (peeled) OR 1/2 banana (sometimes I skip both) (50ish cals)
    A little water to get it to blend
    sometimes 1/8 - 1/4 cup Fage 0% plain greek yogurt for creaminess and additional protein
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    egg whites and salsa....... Mmmm
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Tuna and fat free american cheese, egg white omelet. done.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Greek yogurt and a boiled egg. I like Oikos fruit on the bottom, and i usually eat my egg with a piece of toast, but you could do 2 eggs and no toast to reduce carbs.
  • JulieAnn1109
    JulieAnn1109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BLT's on whole grain pita bread are great in the morning! (you can add a little mayo if you like) Or you could do a turkey wrap with lowfat cheese and hummus .And I always have a handful of berries and/or almonds and walnuts each morning. But mainly just balance all day....add protein in every meal and it keeps your sugar under control and counter acts the carbs. A spoonful of peanut butter , or cheese is good if you eat something carb-filled :tongue:
  • lauren_gibbons
    lauren_gibbons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Check out paleo recipes. They tend to be pretty low carb. Typical breakfast foods (pancakes, waffles, toast, english muffins, cereal) are carb heavy so you may need to change up how to view breakfast foods.

You can make pancakes without flour: 3 bananas, 3 eggs, 1/2c almond butter, 1t cinnamon. Add more almond butter if the batter is thin. Blend and pour as small pancakes. Use really ripe bananas so you don't need additional sweetener. Grease the pan really well and don't flip until it's very well cooked on the first side. I really like these - they taste like banana bread (except no refined flours, refined sugar or added oil).

Hard boiled eggs.

Anything with almond butter or almonds.

Eggs, veggies, ground meat, spices - baked in a muffin tin.

Bacon

Unconventional breakfasts - leftovers, salads, grilled chicken, etc
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    when I was low carbing it, i used to make a 3 egg omelet/frittata type thing. hot oil real high heat, add in seasoned scrambled eggs and watch it puff up. flip it and watch it puff up again. when it's cooked through add a can of chile "el pato" 0007236000201_500X500.jpghttp://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/23/60/00/0007236000201_500X500.jpg and heat through.

If fat is a non-issue for you as it was for me at the time you can also add monterey jack cheese &/or sour cream.
  • MelMcClell
    MelMcClell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just made these awesome little breakfast cups. Take a muffin pan and line each cup with a slice of ham. Then pour 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters into each cup, add a pinch of cheese and whatever seasonings/herbs you like (chives, salt, pepper). You can experiment with different types of ingredients (different hams, different cheeses, etc.). I used sharp cheddar cheese and a maple glazed ham. Mine ended up at 15 g of protein and 3 g of carbs, but I used a really sugary ham. Good luck!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    bumpidty bump
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    eggs/egg whites and meat.

Every work day I have egg whites with ham in a self contained omelete. On weekends it is always bacon and eggs. (not just because low carb I just LOVE bacon!)
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump-there's a few combinations I'd like to try, low carb or not.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hiya everyone

im trying to reduce the fat around my middle which i know therefore means trying to keep starchy carbs to a minimum
    Reducing starchy carbs won't help spot-reduce fat. If you're reducing them to reduce calories, then that's fine, but it's a caloric deficit that reduces fat, not a carbohydrate-reduction itself.
    can anyone help me think of any low calorie/carb and high protein breakfast ideas please?
    Mine is typically 2 whole eggs (fried/scrambled/whatever) with bacon or sausage and an ounce of cheese. That's pretty much no-carb.
    i was thinking of a fruit smoothie but its so high in sugar that im worried it will convert to stomach fat
    I have low-carb smoothies quite often. I use a high-quality protein powder (whey isolate, 93% protein) with heavy cream (for caloric/fat content) and a good handful of berries and sometimes a few baby spinach leaves. Today's was about 10g of net-carbs.

As for being worried it will "convert to stomach fat" ... only if your in a caloric surplus.

... and to the guy who said:
    Low carb breakfast? I understand you're trying to lose weight, but limiting carbs in the morning won't help. You have to consume carbs and should put them in your breakfast meal and pre workout meal.
    Actually, you don't "have to consume carbs" at all. That's a complete myth and not supported by human biochemistry. Many people choose a very-low-carb diet to control certain diseases or metabolic conditions, and in many cases they've been doing it for decades.