Trying to start a healthier life style.

Options
lTlasha
lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
Hey guys!

I'm 21 years old and I'm really trying to get on the healthier eating and being more fit wagon (the BF and I are hoping to extend our little family into something bigger, and I really want to be a more fit me before we begin that journey). I am also trying to get the BF to eat more healthy and possibly join in some sort of exercising activities as well. I'm having a hard time getting the healthier foods in the house, and finding good healthy recipes to go along with them. ( the boyfriends been stuck on hamburger helper and mac n cheese, and our deep fryer). I have a hard time finding exercises that I can do comfortably because I have some pain in my right foot from screws I've had put in a few months ago. (I have a very mild case of Cerebral Palsy, that only really affects my right leg and foot.) I try to walk the dog, but get bored doing the same walk and doing it all alone.
I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts, ideas, or opinions on things that I can do to try and make both mine and my boyfriends lifestyles healthier, both by eating more "real" foods and possibly low impact, creative, or fun workouts that I can do at home. :smile:

Replies

• Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    slowly incorporate "clean" eating into your lifestyle, is a better way. less processed foods and more fresh natural foods is always the better way. Your bf can still have his hamburger helper but it can be clean without the processed stuff in it. :-)
    As for the workouts its best to go slow and figure out what works best. do some online research too it always helps
  • carmellaparker
    Options
    Hi! I appreciate the challenges of trying to go from horrible habits to good ones! It's not easy at all, but if you give yourself a couple weeks with clean eating, I PROMISE the bad food cravings will decrease!

Here's the website I use for great recipes that are still "clean": http://www.thegraciouspantry.com

And as far as fun workouts, I recommend Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (which you might have seen has a cult following here) because it's so short and you'll actually do it! The cardio is a little high impact but I'm sure you can modify it to fit your needs. :)

Good luck!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've never really used hamburger helper, but can you switch out the ground beef with lean turkey (or at least use extra lean ground beef), add in some veggies (I thought I saw that on the commercial), and eat a salad first so you can have a smaller portion?

I tried a "sweet potato mac and cheese" recipe this weekend that was pretty good. It was basically regular homemade mac and cheese but stir in some sweet potato. It was actually pretty yummy - the sweet potato is pretty creamy and sweet so it blended really well.

Turkey burgers usually go over pretty well with the "meat and potato" set. I just mix ground turkey with a bit of salsa, some bread crumbs and an egg white and grill. Goes especially well with some guacomole on top - yum.

What about seeing if there's a walking group near where you live? Swimming? How would biking be on your foot?

Good luck!
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Try strength training over cardio. You can incorporate workouts that won't put too much pressure on that foot of yours. Your guy will also appreciate doing strength training over cardio I'm sure.

Calorie management will be easier when you can change your lifestyle and daily diet around to meet your goals.