TDEE

Options
TDEE confuses me....In MFP, I am considered sedentary because I have a desk job even though I am working out twice a day...I went to an online website and my BMR is 1226.49 and my TDEE is 1901.06 if you are moderately active and 1471.79 if you are sedentary...So, what do you go by??? I am sedentary??? So 20% less than that would be 1177.43 if sedentary and 1520.85 if you go by moderately active...Help, please!!!

Replies

• LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I go by sedentary, and eat back my calories, (if I earn any)..... your exercise calories in your TDEE are already included, and it assumes that you always work out the same way...not sure if that makes sense?
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use lightly active because sometimes my schedule allows for exercise and sometimes not so much but I usually end up getting at least 1 hour a week in. This way, I do not eat back exercise calories. I like this method because you are taking SOME of the estimation out of the equation. If I don't eat back exercise calories I don't worry about if I have over or underestimated how much activity I am doing. I eat the same every day and if I had an intense work out and am hungry I will eat a little over my lightly active TDEE - 15-20%

EDIT: It really depends on if you want to record and eat back exercise cals or not. MFP is set up so you eat back all exercise cals, TDEE -20% is set up so you do not eat back exercise calories at all. Because TDEE is calculated based on everday activities and exercise you put your activity level to include exercise. On MFP any exercise is considered an extra deficit, so you are at a deficit before you exercise at all.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Here's a decent article on it that hopefully clears all confusion:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    TDEE confuses me....In MFP, I am considered sedentary because I have a desk job even though I am working out twice a day...I went to an online website and my BMR is 1226.49 and my TDEE is 1901.06 if you are moderately active and 1471.79 if you are sedentary...So, what do you go by??? I am sedentary??? So 20% less than that would be 1177.43 if sedentary and 1520.85 if you go by moderately active...Help, please!!!
    I think you got something wrong.
    These numbers seem very very low. Are you sure you are calculating this correctly?
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think you got something wrong.
    These numbers seem very very low. Are you sure you are calculating this correctly?

Unless you are already very VERY tiny?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with anyone going for sedentary, even with a desk job. If you exercise at all (especially twice a day!), or really do anything beyond moving from your bed to your sofa and flipping channels all day, I'd say you aren't sedentary. I know some people go for that setting and plan to eat all the exercise cals back, which is good.

With two a day workouts, you're at LEAST lightly active, if not higher. I'd double check those numbers, a 1200 BMR seems super low.
  • avaandreeciesmama
    avaandreeciesmama Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @LindsayLL30 She is tiny lol....love you Kimberly
  • IECdispatcher
    IECdispatcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

So, I went to the above link and recalculated my TDEE and BMR. They were both correct in my original post. I am only about 2 pounds away from my goal weight. Thanks so much for your help everyone. I think I have a better grasp of TDEE now.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

So, I went to the above link and recalculated my TDEE and BMR. They were both correct in my original post. I am only about 2 pounds away from my goal weight. Thanks so much for your help everyone. I think I have a better grasp of TDEE now.
    If you are only two pounds away from goal, then I probably wouldn't use a 20% deficit. Try 15%.