Advice on Yoga

Options
Hey yall, so I am wanting to start doing yoga but the only yoga I have ever tried to do is p90x and hated it. I am not very flexible but I really want to try to do yoga 2-3 days a week with my new workout plan ill be starting sunday. Are there any dvds or anything anyone recommends? I really have no clue what one to even buy.

Thanks!

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Because yoga is so diverse in practice, many studios will offer free first lessons to new students. I'd check out offers around town and learn what you like in a class (as well as basic alignment) before you shell out money for a dvd.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    OMG p90X yoga is not typical!!!!! You are right to give it another chance, though.

Here are some recs:

Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior. A little tougher but he's Bob and lovable to follow

Collen Saidman Yoga for Weight Loss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCbh55r7iQ - it's outdoors, she is gorgeous, and it is gentle and nice. I have a yoga crush on her.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to do yoga if you hate it?

I use MyYogaOnline.com , but if you're just starting out you should consider going to a couple classes in your area. Nothing beats having an instructor with you to correct form, give tips, and suggest modifications.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hulu.com has a health & fitness channel ..... tons of yoga there

I agree with previous poster .... yoga is very diverse ..... best do "free stuff" first ... just to figure out what you like. I rented yoga DVDs from Netflix (by mail) .... took awhile to build a list of favorites.

Your local library will have yoga DVDs too. To view video clips & read reviews of DVDs (your library might have) .... collagevideo.com

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=yoga

A.M. Yoga for Your Week is a good starting place ... 5 short practices that focus on different areas ....hip openers, standing poses, twisting poses, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/rodney-yees-am-yoga-for-your-week-5567
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Wii fit yoga is good. I don't know of any DVDs because I go to classes, which I would highly recommend if you're just starting out, because a teacher can correct your stances.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It might be worth giving Bikram Yoga a try (if there is a studio close to you). The poses are designed for beginners and you don't have to be flexible. There are some drawbacks -- not everyone can stand the heated room and the regimentation of the classes of the classes isn't for everyone.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have been using YouTube to find ones that I like. Try looking for beginner yoga.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I do DDP Yoga, which I 100% swear by, but it's not "traditional" yoga either. It does have the advantage of having a flexible "Make it your own" approach that lets you go at your own rate on pretty much everything.
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!