Will half marathong affect my strength training results?

Options
I have been lifting heavy since January and I LOVE what it is doing for my body. I had never really lifted weights before, besides messing around with the machines at the gym. I have been following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and once I complete it, I will to continue to lift. It is transforming my body like cardio never did.

There is a half marathon coming up in 6 months that I would like to run. I am a casual runner right now, but would like to amp it up. I am worried that training for it will affect my strength training results. I have read that lots of steady state cardio isn't the best to pair with a strength training program.

Any opinions or suggestions? Better yet, anyone with experience doing this sort of thing?

Replies

• blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Crap, marathon, not marathong. I don't even know what the heck that is.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    yes, but the negative effects of so much cardio can be somewhat negated by how much you are willing to eat.

Otherwise strength training will just help you maintain as much of your strength as you can.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, yes it will. But if a marathon or half marathon is one of your goals, who cares? Once the event is over, stop running and you'll see your strength return. Nothing is permanent
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Dav that is exactly what I chose to do!! Once the 1/2 is over I will begin Body Beast and start lifting again... for now, this is another thing off my bucket list :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't, you aren't training hard enough.

Go for it.
  • blondie_182_182
    blondie_182_182 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am going to go for it. My overall goal is to be fit, happy, and healthy. I am not looking to be a body builder, just to have some definition and overall strength. Plus, I love my running.
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Most cardio, (and distance running, in particular), will work against your muscle gains. However, there are some forms of cardio that actually enhance resistance training results. Cycling, in particular, has been shown to build muscle because it duplicates the hip flexion required for leg presses and squats. See here for a more detailed treatment of the relevant research http://www.biolayne.com/contest-prep/best-form-of-cardio-for-bodybuilding/.