'Diet' fizzy drinks

Options
I find that having pepsi max or diet sprite helps me for sweet cravings but apparently all the sweetener in it causes cancer which concerns me alot, is this true? & Is there anything else I can use that is less unhealthy? :o

Replies

• echippendale
    Options
    i have juice topped with soda water as a treat,but i mainly just drink water x
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am a diet coke addict too, I just can't seem to let go :( I don't think it causes but the chemicals, unnatural elements to the sweetener have been linked to cancer, I've heard that, but then so has dairy? xx
  • decrecm
    decrecm Posts: 14
    Options
    I drink flavored sparkling waters and it seems to help. As far as the sweeteners causing cancer, this is always a huge debate. I teach high school Food Science classes, and as I tell my students there is no proof that they really cause cancer. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners This website might help ;)
  • johnguitarman
    johnguitarman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the sweeteners but I just gave up a 15 year addiction to diet pepsi. I thought I would suffer terrible withdrawal but I only had a terrible headache for one day. It took about 2 weeks to not crave them anymore. I would drink at least 6 cans a day.

I quit when I found out how bad they can erode your teeth and cause cavities. I didnt believe it until I saw a show from the UK called Superskinny/superfat and they demonstrated what the absorbic acid in the drinks do to your enamal on your teeth. Its been about 3 months since I took my last drink of diet pepsi.

I drink alot of water now and my skin is better, I'm more alert and since I'm not keeping myself full of caffeine I can focus better and dont have as many cravings or crashes.

Drinking carbonated lime water helped me come off of drinking diet pepsi. shoot, I still drink the waters! :)
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    You really want to stay away from anything with aspartame in it which is mosts diet foods and beverages. Aspartame has formeldahyde in it as well as other chemicals that are terrible for you. I was a diet pop drinker from the age of 10 until this year. I quit 4 weeks ago now. Do it for your health! I have heard that Diet Rite does not have aspartame in it (aka phenylalanine) but pop is just bad for you in general. It can take rust spots of things...do we really want to put it in our bodies?
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Also, I have heard of people being misdiagnosed with cancer, MS, and other neurological disorders when what they really had was aspartame poisoning. There are always studies saying that it won't and it doesn't cause health problems, but that's what Pepsi and Coke need you to believe. They want your money :)