How many calories should I be eating? Please help.

Options
So I'm still stuck on my intake. I currently stick to around 1200 calories a day, give or take a little, but I calculated my TDEE and it says it is over 2400, and I'm certain I will gain eating that much, not lose, as I've been on a smilar diet before.
If somebody could please give me a comprehensible, simple understanding of how much I should eat I will be immensely grateful. I'm really at a loss here as, discounting a couple of cheat days, I stick to my diet plan, eat healthy, work out, and am not losing much at all. I've only lost 11lbs since last November.
I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred when time allows for it, at least 4 times a week.

I'm 19 years old, and -
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 156lbs
GW: 135lbs

Replies

• Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    Judging from your pictures.. you look very healthy. I am 155 lbs and 5'7 and nowhere near fat. Are you sure you want to lose that much? Maybe you should focus more on building strength and endurance.. also tracking measurements.. I really hate scales and try to avoid them at all costs.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Judging from your pictures.. you look very healthy. I am 155 lbs and 5'7 and nowhere near fat. Are you sure you want to lose that much? Maybe you should focus more on building strength and endurance.. also tracking measurements.. I really hate scales and try to avoid them at all costs.

I have quite a lot of stomach fat that I want to lose, and a lot on my thighs too. The pictures are just kinda flattering. I used to be around 140lbs and I'm aiming for somewhere around there, but fitter and more toned. I track my measurements too but those haven't really changed at all, particularly around my stomach, where I most need to lose weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating less than your TDEE (assuming no medical/nutritional issues) you'll lose weight.

The errors come when people don't calculate their TDEE correctly or don't measure food consumption accurately. Either way, it's not the method that's flawed, it's their execution of it.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u weigh 156
    1560 or less calories to lose weight
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating less than your TDEE (assuming no medical/nutritional issues) you'll lose weight.

The errors come when people don't calculate their TDEE correctly or don't measure food consumption accurately. Either way, it's not the method that's flawed, it's their execution of it.

And there are a lot of people who don't get it.

Which is weird because it's very simple.
  • MidnightDave
    MidnightDave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, (including me) use MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition. There are some good suggestions about goals other than weight alone, I lost fat and put on muscle mass and the scale didn't reduce dramatically, however, my waist size did.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I'm still stuck on my intake. I currently stick to around 1200 calories a day, give or take a little, but I calculated my TDEE and it says it is over 2400, and I'm certain I will gain eating that much, not lose, as I've been on a smilar diet before.
    If somebody could please give me a comprehensible, simple understanding of how much I should eat I will be immensely grateful. I'm really at a loss here as, discounting a couple of cheat days, I stick to my diet plan, eat healthy, work out, and am not losing much at all. I've only lost 11lbs since last November.
    I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred when time allows for it, at least 4 times a week.

I'm 19 years old, and -
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 156lbs
    GW: 135lbs

Based on your stats and workout program, i would say your TDEE is more like 2145... 30DS is not a huge calorie burner so unless you are really on the move during the day, I doubt 2400 is accurate. Second, if you are eating 1200, you will just contradict your goal.. eating too little depletes muscle mass which makes it harder to lose body fat or "tone". And doing 30DS is not helping either. Cardio programs are not nearly as effective as helping tone a body. You are much better off eating a small deficit (around 1800 calories for you) and doing a program that involves some good weight/resistance training. Lifting less than an average purse just won't cut it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    u weigh 156

False. This only assumes a person is completely sedentary. If you are active, it's weight x 12.
  • Lysander666
    Options
    u weigh 156

You see, right here. What you've just done is given her her BMR. She needs to know her TDEE which is 2141 kcal - that is what she needs to work below to lose weight - assuming she moves around a tiny bit during the week and isn't stapled to the sofa the whole time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

And there are a lot of people who don't get it.

Which is weird because it's very simple.

I think it's because they don't realize how off their estimates are. Most people who are new to this tend to DRAMATICALLY under estimate food intake and over estimate cals burned through exercise. They think they are hitting their mark, then confused when they don't see the results they expect. They assume their approach is wrong, when in reality they just aren't doing what they think they are doing.
  • Lysander666
    Options
    I think it's because they don't realize how off their estimates are. Most people who are new to this tend to DRAMATICALLY under estimate food intake and over estimate cals burned through exercise. They think they are hitting their mark, then confused when they don't see the results they expect. They assume their approach is wrong, when in reality they just aren't doing what they think they are doing.

Very fair point. I assume some people would be devastated to know that there are 100 kcal in a slice of bread. Or 1200 kcal in a pizza [this still doesn't stop me from eating pizza!].

I once worked out that there are 500kcal in a small tub of Dominoes garlic dip. That's in a DIP. Insane.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring accurately and counting your cooking oils, beverages, etc., accurately as well? Eyeballing stuff is really not a great way to count calories. If you are using measuring utensils and a food scale (SUCH an important tool) to measure your calories and you're still that low and still not losing weight, you probably do need to try upping your calories a bit. But personally, I'm 5'4", 123.5 pounds as of this morning, and I do not stall and do not gain weight on 1200 cals with moderate exercise and a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. The weight melts off easily but I know I'm eating exactly the amount of calories I'm logging because I weigh and measure every single thing I put in my mouth.

I'm not telling you how many you should be eating, but I am definitely stressing that it is extremely important that you count calories accurately and not estimate.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    Are you measuring accurately and counting your cooking oils, beverages, etc., accurately as well? Eyeballing stuff is really not a great way to count calories. If you are using measuring utensils and a food scale (SUCH an important tool) to measure your calories and you're still that low and still not losing weight, you probably do need to try upping your calories a bit. But personally, I'm 5'4", 123.5 pounds as of this morning, and I do not stall and do not gain weight on 1200 cals with moderate exercise and a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. The weight melts off easily but I know I'm eating exactly the amount of calories I'm logging because I weigh and measure every single thing I put in my mouth.

I'm not telling you how many you should be eating, but I am definitely stressing that it is extremely important that you count calories accurately and not estimate.

Yep, I weigh everything, don't drink fizzy drinks etc, rarely have need for cooking oil and if I use it, it's a lower calorie option (eg Flora Cuisine or one cal spray) and measured out.
    I should point out to people that I'm well aware of the nutritional value of everything I eat. I used to have an eating disorder and calorie counting became obsessive for me. I don't lie or cheat in my diary (I don't see the point) and I log every single calorie.
    My diet is composed of mostly chicken, turkey, vegetables, fruits, eggs, pulses, beans, etc. I make pretty much everything I eat from scratch. I rarely eat processed or ready made foods.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yep, I weigh everything, don't drink fizzy drinks etc, rarely have need for cooking oil and if I use it, it's a lower calorie option (eg Flora Cuisine or one cal spray) and measured out.
    I should point out to people that I'm well aware of the nutritional value of everything I eat. I used to have an eating disorder and calorie counting became obsessive for me. I don't lie or cheat in my diary (I don't see the point) and I log every single calorie.
    My diet is composed of mostly chicken, turkey, vegetables, fruits, eggs, pulses, beans, etc. I make pretty much everything I eat from scratch. I rarely eat processed or ready made foods.

And I still think you are under eating. My wife, who is old, shorter and weighs a little less than you and has a heart condition is losing at 1460 calories. Me thinks you need to learn to fuel that body.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    So far, am I to believe I should be eating more? If so, how much should I increase by?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So far, am I to believe I should be eating more? If so, how much should I increase by?
    As I stated above, around 1800 calories. I would suggest bumping your calories up by 200 increments; adding 200 per week. I also suggest adjusting your macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. If you aren't a huge carb fan than you can add more fats. Really just think of protein and fats as minimums. Also, if you have the ability, I would look to get a program more designed around resistance training. Not only can you gain more strength, but it's more effective for muscle retention allowing you to have a tighter and leaner body.
  • LadyZephyr
    Options
    As I stated above, around 1800 calories. I would suggest bumping your calories up by 200 increments; adding 200 per week. I also suggest adjusting your macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. If you aren't a huge carb fan than you can add more fats. Really just think of protein and fats as minimums. Also, if you have the ability, I would look to get a program more designed around resistance training. Not only can you gain more strength, but it's more effective for muscle retention allowing you to have a tighter and leaner body.

Well I'm going to see a doctor on friday to ask about it, but I'll keep all this in mind and try to figure out a diet plan. May I ask what resistance training consists of? Is that lifting, or...? I'm sorry, I know very little about exercise.
  • wbffc
    wbffc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My advice go see a nutritionist and get a personal trainer so you can get a better understanding of how your body requires enough fuel to get the body into a better shape that your after
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Everything psulemon is saying is spot on. Your BMR is around 1560, which means you are under eating by quite a large amount, which is why you aren't losing weight.

These are your TDEE results:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1877
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2151
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2424
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2698
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2972

I'd put you at lightly active if you are doing 30DS. It's intense but it's for a short amount of time, so the calorie burns aren't huge. To cut 20% from that would put you at 1720, so eat somewhere around there.

You have to bear in mind you may well gain in the beginning, so increase your cals slowly rather than just instantly up them.

Also, it sounds like it's more your body shape rather than your weight that you are unhappy with. If you want to change your shape, you should consider lifting. You will get the body you want before you get to the weight you want. Check out Stronglifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women.
  • LaraCoz
    LaraCoz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5.8, 42 female, lightly active and when I plugged this into mfp with a weight loss goal of 1 pound it gave me 1340 calories. I have been successful at this level. I started this round of mfp 105 days ago at 155 pounds ( originial starting weight was 161) and am currently at 144 pounds My goal is around 135 pounds so we are very similar in all our numbers. I also just finished 30 day shred and saw a big change, especially in my stomach area which I need the most after 3 children. I run about 3 or 4 times a week, but only about 2 miles and always eat back my exercise points. I eat well. LOTS and LOTS of salad, usually with some kind of protein. Friend me if you want and we can support each other.