Scale is causing me issues

Options
I weighed myself last week and I was four pounds heavier then I am today. I know weight goes up and down all the time but this has been consistent every day for the past three days. I am staying under my calories and I am exercising every day. I eat most of my exercise calories back.( this has always helped me in the past losing weight) I haven't started any muscle toning exercises as of yet. So I doubt muscle weight is the issue. I am not sure if I should be changing my diet more. I had a daughter a year ago and I have PCOS. If anyone has any input I could really use some help here. I dont want to get discouraged already. Also I have only lost 8 pounds, 12 if the scale was where it was a few days ago. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• sphomphak
    sphomphak Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have pcos too and for me I find that it takes longer to see the results, but they come. My doctor said that you could stay at a weight for a while then all of a sudden have a big drop. Also, I start to tone first before I start to see the results that I would like to see on the scale. I love losing inches so I kinda try and let me clothes be my guide as well. Don't give up, but also I am bad about this with the pcos and the hormonal changes and such weighing yourself more than once a week is not good. I struggle with this as well. Good luck and keep at the eating right and working out. :)
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    There is a group on here for women with PCOS.

I can relate as well. I usually will lose weight, and then gain 4 lbs back. it's constantly like that for me. The thing I try to focus on is that I am making progress in the long run. I am feeling a lot better than I was.

One thing my doctor (he's an integrative doctor) had me do for my PCOS is start taking cinnamon supplements. I take 2000 mg of cinnamon a day. He actually recommended more, but I hate taking pills. I am actually going to switch to cinnamon essential oil. It's helped me lose weight.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a low GI diet? My friend thought she had PCOS and the Dr told her to do this as the things she was eating could be detrimental to weight loss. Your body may also just be used to what you're doing, mix it up, change your exercise, have a no carb day or two? xx
  • TankiBabi
    TankiBabi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I try my best to cut out as much of the carbs as possible but I have not cut out enough. Thing that really sucks with PCOS is the fact that you dont crave sugar you crave carbs and bad. I have taken most bread out and switched to high fiber tortillas which are good and luckily I dont like pasta all that much. Im thinking its mostly water weigtht gain. I havent been strong enough to cut out diet soda yet and I suck at drinking water. I HATE WATER lol.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Scales can be kind of quirky - especially the electronic ones. You can weigh yourself, go to bathroom and then weigh again and you supposedly gain weight!
    To help minimize scale issues I learned:
    *try and weigh yourself first thing in the morning just after first bathroom break and wearing roughly the same weight clothes every time. I find I always weigh more at night.I also learned that my track pants weigh a pound - more than I would have thought.
    *try and stand as still as possible on the scale. My feet are size 14 so I had to buy a bigger scale just so my feet would fit on it and I could stand normally. If your feet go off the edge or near the digital readout, the weights go wonky.
    *an other thing to keep in mind is your hydration level and your stomach/food level. A litre of water weighs 1 kg and a cup of water weighs approximately half a pound. If you drink a 500 ml bottle of water, that's a pound right there.
    So with all this stuff going on, you can see some strange numbers. Over time though, it all evens out. Definitely don't let it get you down. Go by measurements as well for a true sign of progress and fitness.
    Hope this helps.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mine is weird too. I've gotten to where I don't weigh as often, once a week perhaps. For a month my weight didn't budge but when I weighed in on the 18th it showed two pounds off and this morning it showed another two. Thought maybe it was wrong so I kept getting off and on but it didn't change.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself last week and I was four pounds heavier then I am today. I know weight goes up and down all the time but this has been consistent every day for the past three days.

I don't understand...you lost 4 lbs from a week ago? And you're unhappy about this, why?
  • TankiBabi
    TankiBabi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LOL I just noticed I got it backwards. I guess I gave baby brain. I am 4 pounds heavier then last week.
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    Personally I retain water like crazy, especially after a higher sodium day or very intense exercise, so it is definitely possible that it's just water. Because of this I don't weigh often and try to measure my success more by whether I have stuck to my calorie and exercise goals. And how my clothes are fitting. Just my experience.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    LOL I just noticed I got it backwards. I guess I gave baby brain. I am 4 pounds heavier then last week.

I think you mean you are 4 pounds heavier this week thAn last week. That should help people understand your post better. I also thought you meant you had lost 4 pounds and were unhappy about it.