weight loss supplements..do any of them really work?

Options
eap20mn
eap20mn Posts: 18 Member
Hi I was wondering if anyone has tried any weight loss supplements that have actually worked. I dont trust all the ads etc. I'd rather hear of anyone who has actually tried the. Just as a boost since i am already doing the calorie counting and exercise. Thanks

Replies

• skitttlesrock
    skitttlesrock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    IMO.. you are doing everything right!! No need to add "junk" to your body! Your body was not meant to swallow those harmful weight loss supplements
  • nmensen18
    nmensen18 Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm currently taking Healthe Trim. Its only been a week since I started taking them and tracking through MFP - I'm not sure if its helping yet or not...or if I'm just losing weight because of the changes in my food choices. I dont have any negative side effects, like the jitters or nausea.
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    There is no miracle pill. If you eat clean and workout you will lose weight.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    the only thing they make lighter is the wallet
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The only ones that work are illegal and dangerous.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    If you read the fine print on the commercials, it says the average person lost 3.86 pounds over 6 weeks or 7 pounds in 12 weeks or stuff like that. That's not a significant weight loss at all. You can realistically lose 1-2/week with diet and exercise. I watched my mom experiment with different pills and diets my whole life and I don't want to put my body through that.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine. Although the legality will depend on where you live/country/state in the US
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My advice is to avoid them. Magic pills always come at a cost. My Chemistry professor said it best, "you never get 'something' for nothing. You always pay the piper somehow."

I suspect that some fat burners or other weight-loss supplements may help you shed weight (what kind of weight is another matter), but the long-term effects on your body chemistry and health are the real issue with these "magic-bullet" pills. Better to reduce your weight slowly through healthy life-style changes. The real risk at the end of a weightloss program is returning to old habits and putting all the weight back on.

The only way for us to remain healthy is to adopt a healthier lifestyle for good. No quick fixes will work longterm. It's best, therefore, to lose weight by eating healthy and adopting some form of consistent exercise.

The weightloss industry doesn't want to endorse it, and we all know the reality already: healthy nutrition and exercise are the only tried and true method of losing weight. Magic pills or extreme crash diets are self-defeating. Find healthy foods you enjoy and change your relationship to food. Find a form of exercise that you can sustain and that you may even enjoy doing.

Walking is the easiest workout there is, and it's easy to make it an activity that expands your horizons if you start listening to audiobooks (or, with the benefit of a treadmill: watching educational documentaries etc) during your workouts. Walking is easy, a good way to get outdoors, and quickly becomes a "treat to yourself" that you will begin to look forward to on a beautiful day!