Help! Need more low sugar snacks for variety

Options
Hi! I am really on the sugar hunt in my diet. I'm not necessarily doing "low carb" but I am trying to keep the amount of grams of sugar in foods I consume to a low so I can "save" some calories and sugar grams for the occasional treat. Over the last few weeks, I've been eating cheese and lunch meat slices as a low sugar/low carb snack but it can be high in sodium and I'm getting board. I love fruit, but it can quickly send the grams of sugar over the top plus, I can't think of what to pair the fruit with to make it more filling. I try to keep my snacks around 100 - 150 calores. Any suggestions on your favorie low sugar/low carb snacks??? Thanks :>)

Replies

• Lola_Rogers
    Lola_Rogers Posts: 107
    Options
    Jello double chocolate sugar free snack (60 cal) or boston cream (60 cal)
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I make protein crepes for desert - yum!

2 egg whites, 2 Tablespoons of chocolate protein powder, 2 Tablespoons of chocolate milk (I use almond milk, regular would work too... when I'm closer to a show I use water instead to cut out all additional sugar)... whip/blen together and cook in a skillet over medium heat. Cook it low and slow so it doesn't burn. Flip and cook for an additional 15-30 seconds.

If you have the extra calories available... this is baller with some peanut butter or almond butter on top!
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds and dark chocolate chips!
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Nuts such as cashews or macadamia nuts, or almonds, walnuts etc. a teaspoon of peanut butter on celery or half a flax lavash. wilson turkey pepperoni, a small bowl of blueberries is very low calorie and has much less sugar than say, a banana. Those are my favorite snacks.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    spinach is nice cooked or not
    ham slices just a couple depending on cals/weight ect
    lettuce
    well thats what I like

bump
  • TinkaRose
    TinkaRose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Russell Stover's make a really good Granola Chocolate or Cinnamon/Chocolate bar for 100 calories. They are the best I have found!
  • TinkaRose
    TinkaRose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, sliced Strawberries with Spenda...drizzle fat free chocolate syrup and top with Redi whip. Low calories.
  • katebug1978
    Options
    you can try mixing berries with nonfat yogurt, berries have the lowest amount of sugar and carbs. I buy the frozen bags of mixed strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and blend them together in a blender with nonfat yogurt for a smoothie.It satisfies my sweet cravings! Or maybe pair sliced apples with lowfat cheddar slices is a good option too.
  • cassig13
    cassig13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    skinny cow has candy bars 110 calories they are yummy :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am really on the sugar hunt in my diet. I'm not necessarily doing "low carb" but I am trying to keep the amount of grams of sugar in foods I consume to a low so I can "save" some calories and sugar grams for the occasional treat. Over the last few weeks, I've been eating cheese and lunch meat slices as a low sugar/low carb snack but it can be high in sodium and I'm getting board. I love fruit, but it can quickly send the grams of sugar over the top plus, I can't think of what to pair the fruit with to make it more filling. I try to keep my snacks around 100 - 150 calores. Any suggestions on your favorie low sugar/low carb snacks??? Thanks :>)

Veggies & dip; snap peas, carrots, pepper strips, with dip made from greek yogurt mixed with ranch seasoning .... or hummus dip

Vanilla Greek yogurt (Dannon Fit & Light) mixed with natural peanut butter
  • WorkoutMusicDiva
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions...I have some experimenting to do!
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump for that protein crepe recipe!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

2 egg whites, 2 Tablespoons of chocolate protein powder, 2 Tablespoons of chocolate milk (I use almond milk, regular would work too... when I'm closer to a show I use water instead to cut out all additional sugar)... whip/blen together and cook in a skillet over medium heat. Cook it low and slow so it doesn't burn. Flip and cook for an additional 15-30 seconds.

If you have the extra calories available... this is baller with some peanut butter or almond butter on top!

Sounds good! I'm going to try this with unsweetened almond milk.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    may just be me, but i love cold broccoli and salsa. Or salsa and veggies in general.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    plus, I can't think of what to pair the fruit with to make it more filling.

If you're not allergic to peanuts, add just a tablespoon of peanut butter to apple slices! Peanut butter is calorically dense, I admit, so this can push the calorie amount up, but IMHO it's so worth it: takes the apple to an entirely new place, and incredibly filling. Also good with bananas. You just have to be conscientious about measuring portion size with peanut butter or nuts generally.

Avocados! Half a (non-jumbo) avocado is -- surprisingly -- only about 80 calories, so I find it's easy to fit into a well-planned calorie budget. Maybe it sounds weird if you never tried this, but avocado chunks with other fruit are really, really good. I love avocado with juicy oranges! Works with grapefruit! Try it with apple slices, or toss with blueberries. (If you're feeling adventurous, try 1/2 diced avocado with just 1 tbsp of golden raisins: chewy, creamy, and sweet all at once, high fiber, filling, not too high in calories). As long as you toss the cut avocado with a splash of lime juice, you can make ahead before work to eat later in the day, no browning.

Bean-based snacks are also great: cold cooked edamame are easy and satisfying for snacking, or hummus (or your own chickpea puree) makes a nice dip for raw veggies.
  • KatyMiriam
    KatyMiriam Posts: 13 Member
    Options

This sounds great, definitely going to give it a go :)
  • IllustratedHistory
    IllustratedHistory Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hummus with veggies, brown rice cakes with nut butter, hardboiled eggs are all good options. It may sound weird, but thecandidadiet.com has lots of recipes and suggestions for those following a low-sugar diet, even if candida itself isn't an issue.
  • tinychuck
    tinychuck Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    100-150 cals of nuts, popcorn, unsweetened yoghurt, raw veggies with hummus/salsa/other dip, hard boiled egg...