WEIGHT GAIN

Options

Replies

• djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    that's where I get confused? what does "netting that figure" mean? like make sure I'm not under my calories all the time?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    that's where I get confused? what does "netting that figure" mean? like make sure I'm not under my calories all the time?

It means if you eat 1600 cals, but burn 600 in the gym, you only net 1000 (1600-600) so you need to eat 2200 cals so that you net 1600 (2200- 600 = 1600)
  • StantonLeFort
    StantonLeFort Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    djwife ... the reason everyone is telling you to eat more, or net-out a healthy amount of calories, is that if you get too few net calories, it will trigger your body's natural starvation defences and your metabolism will slow, thus burning less calories.

As so many have suggested ... pick a reasonable calorie deficit from your TDEE (myfitnesspal helps you do that) and you should start to see better results.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i am the point of being afraid to eat more, because it messed with head and I'm afraid i'll gain even more!
    Who knew that working out and eating right would cause weight GAIN?!!!!

I would argue the "eating right" line, but that's just me.
  • djwife03
    Options
    Well, I do eat right. Do i have my off days, YES! but, for the most part, i eat well. I'm a work in progress.
  • FlorenceG88
    Options
    If you structurally don't eat enough calories, your body will train itself into getting better at converting food into fat. It's preparing for starvation. Also, throughout the day make sure you get your ratios correct. Lots of low fat foods can mess up you digestion. Your stomach needs fat to process the proteine.

Source: my cousin is a sports dietician for professional athletes
  • djwife03
    Options
    yes, I do need to pay more attention to my ratios! thank you!! not sure what ratios I need. Obviously protein, but......
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Well, I do eat right. Do i have my off days, YES! but, for the most part, i eat well. I'm a work in progress.

You work out for an hour and a half and, by your own admission, take in less than 1200 calories. I stand by my statement.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I know. just paranoid and scared! I know I'm not eating enough because I'm always hungry! by the time dinner rolls around, i'm starving, then I don't eat enough there, and so it's not good!

You are purposefully choosing to undereat and struggle with hunger? How is that sustainable? Now you at least know that it doesn't work for weight loss. Is it all about weight, or are you concerned with health? Improving health = weight loss.

You need more food and according to what you mentioned that you eat in another post, you desperately need healthy FAT in your diet. Please! The fat phobia is bad for health. Really. I know we live in a society that tells us refined grains/sugary food (ex Special K) is good and fat is bad, but it's a great big lie.

Also, did you mention that you are 5'11 and 158 pounds? That just may be a healthy, sustainable weight for you and might explain some of your body's resistance to losing more.
  • djwife03
    Options
    No, I did weigh 158, but now I'm 165. I hope upping my Cals works! How long before I start seeing a difference?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

You may want to reassess what you think are healthy foods. Special K has been marketed that way, sure, but is it really healthy? Read the ingredients, look at the grams of sugar. And the protein bar. And the "lite" mayo. It might also be useful to look at how food processing companies develop their products. I'm not saying that you can't eat what you want, but being aware of ingredients and macros has been really important for me. A low fat diet usually isn't beneficial in the long run. Since you are eating low fat and using processed foods, what little fat you get is probably coming from soy and canola both of which are highly refined and not at all healthy imo.
  • djwife03
    Options
    Yes! I get confused with that also! Eat this, not that! Eat that, not this! Ugh!
  • FlorenceG88
    Options
    You need more food and according to what you mentioned that you eat in another post, you desperately need healthy FAT in your diet. Please! The fat phobia is bad for health. Really. I know we live in a society that tells us refined grains/sugary food (ex Special K) is good and fat is bad, but it's a great big lie.

What do you mean by healthy fats? Depending on what your needs are, you can choose either saturated or unsaturated fats. Olive oil has more calories than butter, but it's much better for your cholesterol. The real danger lies with transfats though. In my opinion, it's best to eat balanced, with lots of variety. I stay away from as many processed foods as I can. They're usually high in saturated fats, additives, sugar and/or salt. Try not to rely too much on MFP. I don't want to sound hippie, but.. Listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs :)
  • djwife03
    Options
    I am trying to eat more and trying to make better choices but still struggling! How long should I do thing before I notice a difference? Is it normal to continue to gain when up up your calories until your body starts to respond?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am trying to eat more and trying to make better choices but still struggling! How long should I do thing before I notice a difference? Is it normal to continue to gain when up up your calories until your body starts to respond?

how long have you been eating more and how much have you put on?
  • djwife03
    Options
    Only about a week and like 1-1 1/2 pounds. Some days I still end up short on calories too. Just can't get it together and frustrated already!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Only about a week and like 1-1 1/2 pounds. Some days I still end up short on calories too. Just can't get it together and frustrated already!

a week and a pound is not long enough to say its not working

your diary isnt open so i cant really comment on how best to increase your cals.
  • djwife03
    Options
    Well, for breakfast this morning, I had oatmeal(not instant), 1 cup. I mixed in cut up apples and some cinnamon. for lunch will be salad and greek yogurt. Snack is almonds, and light string cheese, and another snack will probably be a banana or a fiber one protein bar. Not sure about dinner yet. I know I need to give it more time, and be patient, and not give up, I just can't seem to get things together so that it benefits me and my body. I am still not eating my calories back. I workout in the evening, it's said that you shouldn't snack after a certain time at night, so then what do I do?!!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    not eating after a certain time is RUBBISH! it makes no difference to your weight loss if you are in a caloric deficit.

as for your food, make your oatmeal with full fat milk and add a portion of pumpkin seeds, have a slice of bread and a boiled egg with your salad, ditch the light string cheese for normal cheese... thats an extra few hundred calories straight away.
  • djwife03
    Options
    THANKS! I will try all that! I sound like such a whiner, don't I?!! My pants feel tight today too!.....so could be bloated. I just don't understand this weight gain in the last several months. when I was running, I didn't have this issue, but since we got our total gym, and I started riding my stationary bike, and doing elliptical, I've gained, not lost! Is it because I am burning more doing those because of the resistance I do on those machines? I am such a novice at all this, and just feel so uneducated, which is why I'm here!