Running help - what’s next after couch to 5K?

Hi! I recently completed the Couch to 5K treadmill program (http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html). My 5K was this past weekend. Although I finished and felt good, I was unable to run the whole time. I ended up taking several walk breaks, but staying on pace.(Finish time was 42:16.) I assume the problem was that I hadn’t been running outside and/or that I’m terrible at pacing myself.

I’d like to run another 5K, maybe even one a month over the summer. I’m currently running 3 times a week, with two ‘short/fast runs’ of about 2 miles, and one ‘long slow’ run of 3 miles. During the short fast runs I concentrate on running at a faster pace for as long as I can which tends to be 4.6 to 5mph for 5 to 7 minutes before a walk break. Long slow runs are 4.3 mph and go 25- to 35 minutes with no walk break. I'm wondering if I should do my LS runs outside or one of my fast runs, and generally I don't know how to make sure I'm running at the right pace without the treadmill telling me so. How should I train?

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    There are apps on your smart phone that tell you what your pace is, I think there is a couch to 10k app too.
  • RoeMo326
    RoeMo326 Posts: 17
    Have you considered that you don't have to run the entire time? I like C25k but I prefer the Jeff Galloway method. He thinks you should "run/walk" the entire race, no matter the length. It may actually improve your time, as it does for so many people. Google it and let me know what you think.

There's also the Jeff Galloway Faster 5k program that you should consider. It's still run/walk but it may help to improve your time and stamina.
  • _Hyde_
    _Hyde_ Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks Roe! I'd like to look into the Jeff Galloway faster 5k. I did a quick google and all I found was a Shape fitness article that didn't load very well. Is there a book or something you could direct me to?
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    If you are training mostly on a treadmill, up your incline to 1.0-1.5 to stimulate the road drag better. It "should" help your body get used to the difference in the treadmill pulling you to your pace and forcing your legs to do it themselves. Due to running injuries, I have to train almost exclusively on a treadmill.
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    have you considered having your stride analyzed? I cant tell you the number of people i see running at the gym who are completely gassed after 10-15 mins on th treadmill because they are wasting so much energy with unncessary movements.
    ie: WAY too bouncy, leaning too far forward etc- all these little thigns add up to your body having to use energy that could be used to allow you to run farther and faster.
  • RoeMo326
    RoeMo326 Posts: 17
    Thanks Roe! I'd like to look into the Jeff Galloway faster 5k. I did a quick google and all I found was a Shape fitness article that didn't load very well. Is there a book or something you could direct me to?

Here is a book he wrote about his run-walk method:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/store/jeff-s-galloway-run-walk-run.html

Also here is the app that I use when I train:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-5k-with-jeff-galloway/id425601262?mt=8

When you set up the app, you can either pick 1) finish a 5k or 2) improve 5k time.

I hope this helps you! Good luck!