Not weight loss; fat loss and muscle gain wanted

Options
Hi. I want to lose fat and gain muscle, so some of the usual advice (e.g., eat less than you burn) may not apply to my situation. Plus the number on the scale by itself won't be a cause for celebration or disappointment.

Muscle weighs more than fat!

Does anyone else fit into this category?

Glen

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Me!! losing ihes but maintaining weight for about 2 months now
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    It's complicated to do both at the same time. I'm trying the "Ultimate Diet 2.0" from Lyle McDonald. 1st day was today.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

ETA:

3.5 days eating at a huge carb deficit / high protein
    1.5 days eating at a huge carb overload / high protein
    2 days at maintenance / high protein

with 3 different types of weight training on various days.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    To lose fat, you have to eat at a deficit. To gain muscle, you have to eat at a surplus. Just as it is impossible to eat at a surplus and eat at a deficit at the same time, so is it to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Based on where you are now, you may have to eat at a deficit to lose fat and then, once you are at a level you are comfortable with, eat at a surplus to gain.
  • GlenJordan
    Options
    I get woozy just from delaying a meal so deficit is not really an option. My doctor calls it "reactive hypoglycemia."
  • GlenJordan
    Options
    Is it also impossible to gain muscle without gaining fat at the same time?
  • GlenJordan
    Options
    I wonder who is mistaken: jzametti or aweigh2go? :smile:
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs a pound. So does a pound of fat.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Muscle is denser than fat. Hence you can weigh the same but if you have more muscle mass you will look trimmer.
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    that is correct.
  • GlenJordan
    Options
    And a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers! That doesn't mean lead doesn't weigh more than feathers.

A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.
  • GlenJordan
    Options
    I must have been typing at the same time as Nishi2013.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I thought a pound of muscle weighed the same as 3 pounds of fat?
    Who would have known a pound is the same as a pound...my mind is blown right now.
  • AtomicIron
    Options

No. You can do it but you must eat like a body builder. No prepackaged, reconstituted, wrapped up, fatty, sugar, fast-food garbage. Eat real food. If you get your macro ratios in order, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I am not going to lead anyone to believe this is easy to do. The more muscle you build, the more trim you can become. However, when you decide to eat in a surplus to gain muscle, you will need to lift hard and heavy. If you are not lifting with such intensity to break down your muscles to the point that they need a surplus of nutrient rich food, you WILL gain additional fat.

Here is a good article:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/building-muscle-developing-fitness-fundamentals.html
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

No. You can do it but you must eat like a body builder. No prepackaged, reconstituted, wrapped up, fatty, sugar, fast-food garbage. Eat real food. If you get your macro ratios in order, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I am not going to lead anyone to believe this is easy to do. The more muscle you build, the more trim you can become. However, when you decide to eat in a surplus to gain muscle, you will need to lift hard and heavy. If you are not lifting with such intensity to break down your muscles to the point that they need a surplus of nutrient rich food, you WILL gain additional fat.

Here is a good article:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/building-muscle-developing-fitness-fundamentals.html

Are you saying someone can gain 100% muscle on a bulk with no fat gains?
    Hmmm.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Here is a good article:

Are you saying someone can gain 100% muscle on a bulk with no fat gains?
    Hmmm.

No one is going to build 100% muscle on a bulk with no fat gains. If a lifter is a complete beginner they can make some amazing gains in the first 3yrs. Build muscle, lose fat and look in better shape even though the scale says they are the same or a bit heavier. I'm training this girl and her scales says she has gained weight but she is slimmer, stronger and firmer.

http://fat2skinnyfast.tumblr.com/post/41123022725/a-reminder-that-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-use

This is an important reminder to people that the scale weight isn't always what you want. What is the point weighing xxx and not being in shape? When you can be xxx + 10% and be in great shape?

Koing
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options

You can gain fat and muscle at the same time. If you eat at a huge surplus (in an effort to pack on maximum muscle in a short time) and/or the quality of the food is not the best, you will gain both. But they cycle continues because then you will have to eat at a deficit to lose the fat or "cut". The smartest way to do it if you are going to add muscle is to have a slight increase and gain muscle slowly.
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    If your goal is to gain muscle and loose fat, then you need to forget about using a scale for your measurements.
    Get a tape measure and start measuring calf, thigh, hips, stomach, chest, neck, biceps, etc every week to 2 weeks.
    This will be a more accurate (and motivating) measurement, then looking at a scale everyday that isn't moving.

Once you get used to that, the next measurement would be a caliper to measure body fat percentage.
  • lbdc05
    lbdc05 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. At this point I really could care less what the scale says. I want to lose body fat and tone up! So far it hasn't been easy for me (I'm a vegetarian). I think I need to start eating more and maybe taking more protein supplements. I'm kinda clueless though.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Unless you have never weight lifted, it's next to impossible doing both simultaneously - look at body builders on the off and on season :wink:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wonder who is mistaken: jzametti or aweigh2go? :smile:

my guess is both. I am new to lifting so I am capable of building muscle at a deficit (newbie gains)...but that will not last. :(

But I still need to burn fat so I will continue the deficit (only about 200 calories a day) until I get the squish off my tummy!