Breastfeeding

mummynor
mummynor Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm still breastfeeding my 13month daughter twice a day and was wondering if its still worth adding extra calories for this? I know when you first feed its suggested you have an extra x calories a day. If anyone has any info on this it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks, Eleanor

Replies

• raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    I'm still breastfeeding my 22 month old daughter a couple of times a day and don't add calories in and have had success losing weight, and have not had a decrease in my milk supply. I've been at this for 4 months, so since she was 18 months old, and have not had any problems with the MFP allotted calories (1200). With that being said, my daughter is also eating solid foods and regular meals, so much less pressure on my body than when she was nursing exclusively.

Since you are only nursing a couple of times a day, I think it's really up to how you feel. If you notice a drop in milk supply, or are just tired and weak, definitely add calories. If you do add calories, I believe another user has created an entry in the food diary where you can calories to your daily total.
  • Yo :)

Isn't it something in the region of when they are eating solids at meal times then she is not really getting their calories from you anymore as she is getting them from everything else.

I'd not add the extra for compensation and see if that makes a difference.

Oh and once again, have you tried speaking to Liz.. she'd know. She is the awesome Breastfeeding encyclopedia of Bexley

xx
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    I'm doing exactly the same as you, Mummynor - same frequency, same age baby!

I've added 200 calories over what MFP has suggested, which brings me up to 1550 per day and I'm losing well on it. I did drop to 1450 and was "really good" but it made me plateau, so I bumped it up again! I haven't noticed any drop in supply and was eating around about 1900-2200 calories/day before my weight-loss quest (I did a warts-and-all week in the diary before observing my eating habits and making any changes)
This discussion has been closed.