Breastfeeding

Options
How do you log breastfeeding on here? I'm a newbie.... :-( I

Replies

• RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can log it as exercise (create a custom one), then when you add it it will bump your daily calories with the specified amount. Doesn't seem very intuitive but probably the easiest way to do it
  • JnJmommie
    JnJmommie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ty!!
  • CandiQueen
    Options
    im breastfeeding too! type it in as a food ant it will subtract 500 calories, aren't we lucky :)
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can log it as exercise (create a custom one), then when you add it it will bump your daily calories with the specified amount. Doesn't seem very intuitive but probably the easiest way to do it

I did this, and set the expenditure for 200 cal for the day and pop it on once a day, I got 200 cal by looking up the normal ranges and going about halfway between the highest and lowest. That said though I'm seriously considering reducing the amount because we are down to 3 feeds a day (early morning, nap time, nighttime) rather than the 7 or 8 we were doing when he was little.
  • RawCarrots
    Options
    im breastfeeding too! type it in as a food ant it will subtract 500 calories, aren't we lucky :)
    This will make you eat 500 less when feeding, not 500 more.

I can't comment on how much to add extra, I've gained all my weight while brestfeeding:noway: I was fitting in my pre-pregnancy clothes two weeks after baby was born and was a size bigger few months later! Three **** times I did it, you'd think I've learned my lesson after the first one! In my defence I was constantly starving, I would have eaten raw broccoli and coliflower if there was nothing else in the house, just needed food all the time!
  • klynnd35
    klynnd35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can enter breastfeeding as a food-that is how I have done it. There are -500 for babies that only BF and -300 for older babies that also eat/drink other foods. I just add it to a meal that is greater than 300 (mine is older) so there is not a negative value for that meal.
  • randomirrelevant
    Options
    I just set my goal profile to very active to account for the extra 500 calories so I did not have to fool around with logging it. I dialed it down to the next activity level once she started eating some solid foods. Seems to be working for me as I have been losing weight pretty much as MFP predicted. Sometimes a little extra.
  • RawCarrots
    Options
    I'm sorry, you are right, you can add it as food as well. Didn't realise there are negative calories foods on the database :laugh:
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Awww no fair I wanna breast feed... Gimme those -500 calories XD