The breakfast dilemma

Options
gibberishtwist
gibberishtwist Posts: 1 Member
Hey all, not sure if belongs in recipes, but here goes. I've run into some issues in the past year or so regarding breakfast: I can't manage any of the nutritious options! My standard breakfast is two fried eggs on toast/flatbread/tortilla and a cup of tea, with a piece of fruit if I have any. Obviously, fried eggs aren't a super-healthy option (especially on a near-daily basis), but I honestly can't find anything else to do (Sometimes I poach them, and I find any excuse to include spinach, but the fact remains that I don't want to eat eggs *every single day*).

I've tried oatmeal just over and over with different ingredients and consistencies, but I can only eat it with a big chunk of brown sugar in it (Not a great start to the day). I've tried yogurt with fruit in it, and while it's tasty, it never really sates me and I'm always hungry afterwards (I think it's the fact that it's cold). I don't particularly care for cereal, and rarely have milk in the house anyway. I don't eat much meat, so maybe sometimes I'll have some sausage (unhealthy), but rarely have bacon/ham/whatever around (Unhealthy anyway). I've tried peanut butter toast, breakfast burritos, pancakes (again, requiring way too much sugar), fruit salad, basically almost everything I can think of. They all either A) require too much sweetener to be healthy, or B) leave me hungry after.

If I have leftovers from the night before, I'll sometimes eat those, but if I don't have anything prepared, I'm not likely to cook a whole big meal right after waking up. Does anyone have any suggestions for other breakfast-y foods out there? I'm trying to cut back on refined flours and sugars, so even though I love bagels, it's hard to find any that aren't super processed. On top of everything else, I'm pretty poor, and my grocery options are limited; there's a Harvest Co-Op market a few blocks away, but they're *really* pricey, so I usually have to go to a standard supermarket. Sorry if this is a long-winded or sort of open-ended, but I wasn't quite sure how to express my issues here.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You can make an omelette, or eat fresh fruits for breakfast.

I think in my blog I have a recipe for a microwave omelette, for those that don't have much time in the morning, with the calories and all of that nutritional information. You don't need to be my friend to see my blog on here, it's public.

Do you like cereal? Maybe try some filling cereal with almond milk?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make what my husband calls bleary-eye omlettes:

Throw1 c of whatever leftover veggies I have OR frozen spinach into the microwave in a plastic bowl and zap for 1 minute. Meanwhile turn on heat under a no-stick pan, and pour in 1/4 cup ( 1 serving) break free egg substitute, and then sprinkle on 1 tbsp parmesan cheese. When the microwave dings, throw the veggies on top of the egg and cheese mixture, fold, and voila.

Breakfast of about 100 calories in less than 2 minutes.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    what about peanut butter?

Had a roommate that ate 2 tbsp of peanut butter for breakfast every morning --on a spoon like a popsicle. Not my cup of tea, but quick easy, not terribly processed, and plenty of protein.
  • caraashworth9
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast, it doesn't have to be "breakfast food" :) one of my co-workers hates fruits and typical breakfast foods so I often see her eating sandwiches, hummus with flat bread and veggies, soup, etc for breakfast. why not?

Another idea: you can be creative with toast. I love avocado on toast with salt and pepper! You could even add tomato or whatever else suits your fancy. smashed beans or refried beans are also surprisingly good on toast.

Or instead of an omlette you could make a breakfast quesodilla, just heat up a whole wheat tortilla in the microwave and throw in some easy fixings like beans, spinach, peppers, etc.

Maybe a problem is just thinking inside the "acceptable things to eat for breakfast" box...think of things you generally enjoy eating that you can make and eat quickly in the morning that will keep you full!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I actually don't see the problem with fried eggs good source of protein. if you like them and it fits in with your day then go for it, If its the fact that your frying them in oil then leave it out..thats what non stick fry pans are for!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a rush some days i will have a corn cake with cottage cheese and ham!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fried eggs... just cook them in a nonstick pan with a light spray of Pam instead of using a ton of butter or oil.

When I'm making breakfast at home, I typically have a couple of fried eggs and some instant oatmeal made with milk. Or I'll use a tortilla and make a little breakfast burrito with an egg and some salsa inside, maybe some cheese.

You have to stop thinking of food as "healthy" or "unhealthy." Sausage and fried eggs aren't unhealthy. They might be difficult to fit into your calorie goal, but that doesn't mean they're unhealthy. Eat anything that satisfies you and fits into your calorie goal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oh, and other ideas are cottage cheese, oats/instant oatmeal, protein shakes (add fruit for even more yumminess), protein bars, bagels and english muffins (there's nothing wrong with bagels; if you want to feel better about it get whole wheat ones), sliced ham, waffles (same as bagels; get Kashi or whole wheat waffles if you want to feel better about them; add a small amount of butter and maple syrup or sugar-free syrup), turkey bacon, real bacon (if you can fit it into your calories).
  • SexyDexie
    SexyDexie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One of my breakfast go to recipes is spinach mushroom omelettes. Cook the veggies with a teaspoon to tablespoon of olive oil (your choice) and add it o the egg when it's in the pot
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    . Obviously, fried eggs aren't a super-healthy option (especially on a near-daily basis),

I know a guy who ate a dozen eggs and a stick of butter every day. He was in much better health than when he ate oatmeal and fruit.

point being: everyone's different. Eggs are darn near a superfood for me, and oatmeal and fruit case me to bloat.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have an orgreenic skillet that I don't have to use any oil or spray in. You could get one and make your eggs with that. I'll also do a light english muffin with ham and cheese. Not too bad.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast, it doesn't have to be "breakfast food" :) one of my co-workers hates fruits and typical breakfast foods so I often see her eating sandwiches, hummus with flat bread and veggies, soup, etc for breakfast. why not?

Another idea: you can be creative with toast. I love avocado on toast with salt and pepper! You could even add tomato or whatever else suits your fancy. smashed beans or refried beans are also surprisingly good on toast.

Or instead of an omlette you could make a breakfast quesodilla, just heat up a whole wheat tortilla in the microwave and throw in some easy fixings like beans, spinach, peppers, etc.

Maybe a problem is just thinking inside the "acceptable things to eat for breakfast" box...think of things you generally enjoy eating that you can make and eat quickly in the morning that will keep you full!

I endorse the idea that you don't have to eat "breakfast food". I don't like cereal in general and I don't like sweet things for breakfast. Today I had half a tin of chickpeas mixed with 2 diced tomatoes, a diced spring onion, a spoonful of pine nuts and I sprinkled some cumin and curry powder on the top. Could have given it a quick pan fry but couldn't be bothered.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like deli shaved ham or turkey on an onion roll with lettuce, tomato, onion, and either salsa or really good mustard. I also like that IHOP French toast breakfast because I can eat and drive with the thing. Or soup. Yum and hot and filling and slow to eat. Be creative. My sister used to eat soup for breakfast because she might be too busy for lunch and breakfast for a bedtime snack because she might be too busy for breakfast.... get it? Just have some protein if you can for the filling quality.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek yogurt? It has much more protein than regular yogurt. I usually put some granola or peanut butter in mine for extra protein - helps me stay full longer! I also sometimes just have an english muffin or toast with peanut butter. Lastly, I just tried this for the first time, and it is awesome: english muffin, cream cheese, tomato slices, hard boiled egg slices, salt and pepper under the broiler just until warm (about 3 minutes). And I also second what someone else said about not only having to eat traditional "breakfast" foods.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I scramble my eggs, its delicious and I use egg substitute! no cholesterol and it's 30 cals an egg instead of 70. My mom likes to eat half of a grapefruit with splenda for breakfast. If I am not in the mood for eggs, I eat a granola bar, hit the gym and then have a protein shake for breakfast OR a peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread. It's my favorite XD
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Toast with fresh cashew butter and honey. Coffee.

STEEL CUT oats with baked apple. It is far more filling than instant, nutty and chewy. Coffee.

Half a bagel with cream cheese, cucumber, onion and smoked salmon. Coffee.
  • whoolerymicki
    Options
    how about trying a smoothie with yogurt fresh fruit or whatever you enjoy. quick easy and versatile so won't get bored..