Running Shoe Help?

Options
MightyDomo
MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
Pretty sure this is the right place to post a question about this.

I am looking to get a new pair of running shoes but I haven't had time to go to a specialty shop to ask questions about running shoes and I am not sure when I will get the chance but I do want to get on with finding a new pair of runners. I have flat feet with overpronation and I tend to run on pavement with a little 'off-roading' and I do run a good distance in a year so a shoe that can last through the year is something I am definitely looking for. (probably around 900 km or more a year)

If anyone has purchased shoes in the last year and your needs were similar to mine or you know a good bit about running shoes would you be able to suggest ones for me to buy?

All help is definitely appreciated!

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

I am looking to get a new pair of running shoes but I haven't had time to go to a specialty shop to ask questions about running shoes and I am not sure when I will get the chance but I do want to get on with finding a new pair of runners. I have flat feet with overpronation and I tend to run on pavement with a little 'off-roading' and I do run a good distance in a year so a shoe that can last through the year is something I am definitely looking for. (probably around 900 km or more a year)

If anyone has purchased shoes in the last year and your needs were similar to mine or you know a good bit about running shoes would you be able to suggest ones for me to buy?

Recommend you go here >> www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes-gear-running-shoes. Once you get to the page, click "Shoe Finder" where they will ask your gender/weight/height/running experience/number of times you run per week/your average pace/whether you've sustained any injuries within the last 6 months/how high is your arch/ motion mechanics/how does your foot strike the ground/what kind of a running shoe are you looking for. It's a good guide ... Once there, you may go back to the beginning, click "Store Finder," where you can put in the recommended shoe for the closest shoe store selling that particular footwear.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks. I just recently started running more regularly, and I was lucky enough to find the right type of shoe, I have no pain. I didn't go to a specialty store, but I do have a friend who's been working shoe shops for years, and he's the one that got me into my first pair of Brooks (a support model), which led to me trying a different model (also a supportive model) that I am currently loving.
  • MightyDomo
    Options

Recommend you go here >> www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes-gear-running-shoes. Once you get to the page, click "Shoe Finder" where they will ask your gender/weight/height/running experience/number of times you run per week/your average pace/whether you've sustained any injuries within the last 6 months/how high is your arch/ motion mechanics/how does your foot strike the ground/what kind of a running shoe are you looking for. It's a good guide ... Once there, you may go back to the beginning, click "Store Finder," where you can put in the recommended shoe for the closest shoe store selling that particular footwear.

I don't know why I never knew there was a shoe finder there! I used to frequent that site last year and never noticed, thank you!
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have the same type of feet and running style (Small arch, slight overpronation) and I love my Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's.

ETA: I put in between 30 - 35 miles per week and never have issues since finding my Mizunos.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I am flat-footed and an over pro-nator as well and I just bought a pair of Asics Kayano 19 and they have saved my life... ok, not my life but they completely eliminated all the pain that I was experiencing while running. I would highly recommend them for all overpronators.
  • Jelly29
    Jelly29 Posts: 2
    Options

About a month ago I bought the Adidas Boost shoes and I LOVE them! Since wearing them I have had absolutely no knee or foot pain which was occurring regularly with all my other shoes. I noticed significant 'bounce' from the shoe which makes running easier. I run around 30k a week and am training for a half marathon in June, I, like you, have flat fleet and overpronation. Can't recommend these shoes high enough.
  • MightyDomo
    Options
    Excellent, thank you for the responses so far! I now have an idea of what to try which is so helpful, thank you!
  • BrendaMay70
    BrendaMay70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have a low arch and over-pronate.Runners world recommended Brooks and so did the person at the specialty store. I have never liked them. I went back to Asics (Gel Kayano 19) a few weeks ago. I should never have doubted the Asics, I loved them when I worked 12 hour shifts as a hospital nurse. I think there is a personal preference element to the right shoe.
  • BoyzMom520
    BoyzMom520 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the site, I need new shoes also.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Asics last year an currently have about 170 miles on them. I am looking for a replacement since the sole on the back outside heal strikes are breaking down/wearing down. The soles have denser tread material on the inside sole edge and not the outside sole edge (the side that my foot strikes the ground.) I should have thought about this when I purchased them so its my fault. All of the shoes I have seen this year have had the denser tread material all the way around the outside edges of the sole ( and they have not been Asics.)

I suggest if you are going to a local department store, look at the bottom treads and make sure they will wear properly based on your foot strike pattern before you purchase and start using them.