Protein Shakes

Options
I'm curious what everyone else is doing. Do you use protein shakes as a meal replacement?

Replies

• pauldoolan52
    Options
    never as a replacement its an aid always try and eat good healthy food
  • chipdog3
    chipdog3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do. Usually have one for breakfast because I can easily get that boost of protein from them first thing in the morning. I'm supposed to eat 82 g of protein a day and find it a challenge without having the 22 grams I can get from a protein shake. I add a tablesponse of chia seeds to it too. Good luck meeting your goals and great job on your current loss!
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    I drink them after my workouts on strength days to make sure I'm getting all of the protein I need. On those days, I also use them as my sweets replacement for the day (I usually have a piece of chocolate or cookie each day). My favorite recipes so far are Peanut Brittle and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No. I use it to reach my protein goals.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    No. I use it to reach my protein goals.

I could help you eliminate those if you like
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a Fruit Protein Shake/Smoothie as a snack later in the evening.. This is my night "ice cream" or snack fix.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The only time I use them as a meal replacement was when fasting on Fridays during lent. Otherwise I enjoy having one after a run.
  • shysty021
    Options
    Protein powder + cottage cheese + peanut butter = heaven
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I find my protein powder mixes really well with Fage yogurt, some fruit, almonds and ground flax seed. It sounds suspiciously like health food (and it's as close as I get to that) but it tastes pretty good when I just don't feel like eating and I need a big protein boost.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I include protein powder because I have issues meeting my protein macros.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    one in between breakfast and lunch and one after dinner before bed.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    usually breakfast personally.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Make it for my breakfast... Whey powder, 4 ice cubes, 1/2 cup Almond/coconut milk, dash of SF Davinci syrup, 2 eggs... blend till smooth in magic bullet. Then I have one post work-out.
  • richardtwilson
    richardtwilson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes i do i have whey skim milk and sometimes on workoutdays with banna and tble spoon natural peanut butter little bit of oats
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have a Fruit Protein Shake/Smoothie as a snack later in the evening.. This is my night "ice cream" or snack fix.

I drink the fruit protein smoothies too. I usually have it as an afternoon snack, in addition to my meals. Once in a while I'll have it for breakfast if I'm in a super rush or just not very hungry one morning.
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so it's harder for me to get protein in without high fat or carbs. They work for me. That added bonus was my hair and nails are growing again. 7 carbs, 1 fat, and 12 protein is good to me. I use them for breakfast and after workouts.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have the protein shakes sometimes. I can barely hold on to my mouse some days.

I drink a protein shake every day for breakfast. Not because I think it's the most awesome nutrition ever, but because I'm lazy and it's cheap and good enough.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Generally as a 'supplement'. If I'm short on calories it may end up as something to keep me going for a while - but that'd suggest watching my calories, which I haven't been doing recently.
    I could help you eliminate those if you like
    Go on - explain! :)
  • EricV440
    EricV440 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Isopure makes a zero carb protein shake. I will use that as a supplement.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    Bump :) Great thread!