Fat & cellulite..if u don't eat u can't lose it!

Options
All healthy people have fat reserves. This is normal. Our bodies need these fat reserves as energy sources and insulation as well as to cushion our internal organs. At no time should we attempt to rid our bodies completely of fat. Yes, some bodybuilders can get their body fat down to 4% or 5% but these are elite athletes that monitor their weight, diets, exercise programs and body composition religiously and they do not maintain these extremely low levels of body fat year round.

Cellulite:
One of the most unpleasant characteristics of excess body fat in women is cellulite. I have a lot of clients asking me exactly what it is, what causes it, why many but not all women have it and of course, how to get rid of it.

Fat is made up of cells called "adipocytes". Their main function is to fill energy reserves in the body. These cells accumulate energy in the form of lipids which are released back to the body when energy is needed. Now adipocytes are basically small accumulations of fat that are encased by fibrous connective tissue between muscle and the dermis (deep layer of skin). When these adipocytes begin to store more energy (fat) than is used by the body they grow bigger and body fat begins to accumulate.

The dimply impressions that begin to form are the result of inelastic fibrous tracts (within the fibrous connective tissue that encases the adipocytes) which function as small cables that are used to keep the dermis over the muscles. When the fat stores are enlarged they begin to bulge in-between the sites where these cables anchor the connective tracts to the muscle walls creating the signature cottage cheese impressions.

Why The Body Stores Fat:

Now that we understand the physiological reason cellulite appears lets discuss why this happens. The obvious reason is if you overeat the fat stores are going to enlarge accordingly - however that is only one scenario.

LADIES PLEASE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS. When the body consumes fewer calories than it needs fat reserves increase. That means, when one does not eat enough calories to maintain proper body function (which includes, breathing and digestion along with physical activity) it goes into "starvation mode" and begins to store whatever calories are ingested in the adipocytes so there will be energy available. The fibrous connective tissue that compresses the adipocytes like a net make it very difficult for blood and oxygen to circulate the region which makes cellulite extremely difficult to get rid of once it develops. This is why it becomes harder for many women to lose fat in their "problem" areas than in their non-problematic areas like breasts.

We have all heard this or complained of this: "I am afraid to lose weight because I don't want to lose my breasts. I feel like every time I lose weight my breasts shrink but my butt (or belly or thighs) stay the same."

There are also hormonal reasons as to why cellulite may be present. In women, hormonal variations actually favor subcutaneous water retention. This water retention within fat stores compresses the lymphatic and blood vessels which ultimately slow down circulation which makes the adipocytes or energy reserves harder to mobilize. It's a vicious cycle that will continue until women educate themselves on how the body functions and what they can do to manipulate their genetics. Anything is possible you just have to understand why your body is the way it is and what are the steps necessary to "evolve" it.

Replies

• unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    thanks girl! you are always informative!
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    I heard dieting hard core makes cellulite worse. I also heard strength training and a proper diet helps get rid of it. As for me, I will learn to live with my cellulite, I have had a baby and it got worse but I love myself enough to not let it bother me.
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks...again! I love your posts!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I heard dieting hard core makes cellulite worse. I also heard strength training and a proper diet helps get rid of it. As for me, I will learn to live with my cellulite, I have had a baby and it got worse but I love myself enough to not let it bother me.

You are right on both counts. While I think it's great you love yourself enough to not let it bother you, I don't see the need to accept it either, that is of course, your choice, it doesn't have to be. I've had six babies, one, by one, and I did have cellulite, especially on the back of my legs/bum, I'm closing in on forty, now a grandmother, and I don't have ANY at all..anywhere, and it wasn't really that hard to do. I stopped making excuses for my poor choices, I took responsibility over my body, something I should have done long ago, I finally figure it out.....If I'm happy, which means on accasion I must come first, then everyone else around me seems to be happier as well. Good luck to you on your journey, I'm glad you can accept yourself the way you are, more people need to learn to love their bodies "as is".
  • blugoogirl
    blugoogirl Posts: 41
    Options
    All very informative.

And what you said about starvation mode is true... but if you eat too little for long enough you'll lose all your fat too.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    All very informative.

And what you said about starvation mode is true... but if you eat too little for long enough you'll lose all your fat too.

If you do it long enough, you can lose your life as well. Anyone else remember Karen Carpenter? Google her and learn how she died in her 30's after many years of anorexia--AKA not eating enough.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Another great post and as always some great info!

Becca
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I second HealthyChanges!
    :happy:
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I understand that healthy diet and exercise is the only way to lose fat and therefore cellulite. I have heard that massage, along with aforementioned healthy diet and exercise, can help aid in the process of losing cellulite by increasing the circulation to those areas. Is there any truth to this? Are there any other specific behaviors, supplements that help reduce cellulite? Thanks!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A very clean healthy diet and deadlifts using heavy weights (actually probably all of my weight training) got rid of mine. I didn't have that much to begin with but now I have ZERO.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump
  • imagymrat
    Options
    A very clean healthy diet and deadlifts using heavy weights (actually probably all of my weight training) got rid of mine. I didn't have that much to begin with but now I have ZERO.

Amen to that one...deadlifts..and GO HEAVY! Ladies, If you can lift more then 6-8 reps, it's not heavy enough, those legs of yours are strong!!! I lift 220lbs on my deadlifts, I go to fatigue which doesn't take very long!! lol and free weight squats( which can be done a bazillion ways) are my best friends, they are always part of my leg workouts..you just can't get an exercise that's better for your legs then those two.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I understand that healthy diet and exercise is the only way to lose fat and therefore cellulite. I have heard that massage, along with aforementioned healthy diet and exercise, can help aid in the process of losing cellulite by increasing the circulation to those areas. Is there any truth to this? Are there any other specific behaviors, supplements that help reduce cellulite? Thanks!

I've heard of the massage ideas as well....I have no idea how successful they would be. I would think that if you don't change your eating plan and start to exercise, then wouldn't it be fair to say that it would only come back? that's to say that massage actually does work..anyone ever had massage done for cellulite?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I've heard of the massage ideas as well....I have no idea how successful they would be. I would think that if you don't change your eating plan and start to exercise, then wouldn't it be fair to say that it would only come back? that's to say that massage actually does work..anyone ever had massage done for cellulite?
    I've seen Internet ads on it, does that count? yea, didn't think so:tongue:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I do dry brushing and I occasionally (couple times per year) get body wraps and those 2 things help tremendously with cellulite.

I created a thread about dry brushing a while back............
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do dry brushing and I occasionally (couple times per year) get body wraps and those 2 things help tremendously with cellulite.

I created a thread about dry brushing a while back............

I remember that thread and I totally went and bought a brush the next day. :smile: I'm curious about the body wraps...
    I'm pretty sure that cellulite is something that I inherited genetically when I look at my mom's side of the family, but that's not to say I'm not going to work on it! My legs definitely look alot better from the beginning of this year before I started exercising. I'll admit I really need to incorporate more weight training, so the dead lifts and free weight squats you guys mentioned are going to stay on my list for things to do. I don't mind having some junk in the trunk but I hate that when I sit down it "squishes" out to the sides, lol.

Thanks for the post!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Personally - my nutritionist started me on this & it works ALONG with healthy diet & my weight lifting & cardio.

:flowerforyou: Use Sea Salt & a loofah & scrub the heck outta those dang spots:flowerforyou:

My personal experience is that it totally works (with everything else I'm doing). The backs of my thighs were not good - they had begun to get a little dimply (while I didn't have lots, it was def. there). I've been doing this everyday for a year & there is hardly any there now. (I've also dropped 20 lbs & leaned up in that year too from the other activities).

While I know that it's not entirely due to the salt scrub - I do believe it helps. But, I am also a firm believer in sea salt for all kinds of skin remedies (I have psoriasis that is also virtually non-existant now). HTH

P.S. Thanks for the post btw. I found it very interesting! :-)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I use the LUSH brand "Buffy the backside slayer" scrub bar that has adzuki beans and skin softening oils. I'm not sure that it's helping remove the bit of cellulite on my thighs and backside (I have squats, lunges, running, and proper eating to thank mostly for that) - but it does give awesome tone to my skin. It also helps get rid of rough spots and razor bumps on the skin.

The LUSH "Ocean Salt" scrub is also insanely good for improving skin quality.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    party0002.gif