Well shoot! What now?

Options
Just found out. I am pregnant. Wow. I was right in the middle of my journey and now this. I don't really know what to do until I go to the Doctor. Do I just try and eat healthy and stick to my calories? God, the last week I went on that stupid detox and was eating about 400 cals a day and lately I've been sticking to 1200. I doubt I did any damage to the baby, but I guess my journey will be on hold for 9 months. Wow, I am in shock. I am telling a bunch of strangers cause I am not allowed to tell anyone else right now.

Kind of freaking out here. Wow.

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No pregnancy advice here, but congratulations!!
  • arobles3231
    arobles3231 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would continue to eat at least 1200 calories because even though you aren't "eating for two", the baby will need nutritious foods. Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • TaraArriola
    Options
    Continue your journey. Talk to your doctor about a health calorie intake for you while your pregnant. And (not to be nosy) but depending on how much you have to lose, you could actually still lose while your pregnant and it not be harmful to the baby.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I would just try to eat healthy until you go the the doctors. The doctor will be able to tell you how many calories you should be taking in. When I was pregnant I was supposed to be taking in 1800 calories(but that was me). I also lost some weight in both my pregnancies till my doctor said she did not want me to loose more. Just follow what your doctor tells you and in 9 months when you are ready to start loosing weight again we will all be here to support you in your journey. Congratulations again!
  • aliceofwonderland
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/105498-so-i-m-pregnant-now-what?hl=pregnant
    This should help a little, but you should definitely still talk to your doctor.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I agree, talk to the doctor, especially if you want to continue losing weight while pregnant. It is perfectly healthy as long as you are nourishing your body the correct way.

Also, if you keep exercising (doing what is most comfortable) you will have an easier time with labor and labor pains.

Congratulations and good luck!!

Remember to take your vitamins.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :bigsmile: First of all... Congratulations... I'd stick with using MFP as you still need to stay on the 'healthy track' for that little bun you have growing. I had read and heard that a woman (and fetus) need an additional 300 to 500 calories a day. This is something to talk to your doctor about for definite. He/she may advise you to switch to maintenance calories. Any way... staying healthy is number one as you are carrying a prescious bundle. Congratulations once again!:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I do NOT recommend sticking to a 1200 calorie diet while pregnant. Early pregnancy sure doesn't require you to eat for 2, but 1200 calories is not a sufficient amount. Choose healthy foods, and eat anywhere from 1800 to 2000 calories a day, which is about the recommended daily intake for women anyway. You can keep excercising, but pay attention to your body and how you're feeling, you might need to take things down a notch.

Congratulations and good luck with the pregnancy!
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I agree with many of the posts. Talk to your doctor. Keep eating healthy foods and do what exercise is comfortable for you. You may be surprised that the weight post-pregnancy is easier to lose, and you will probably lose the rest more quickly.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, go see a doctor and make it a priority to discuss your weight loss. Generally, you don't need to eat many more calories (usually only about 300 extra a day) but they have to be *really* dense in nutrients, so it'll be fresh fruit and veggies rather than chips (so no worries there--the extra calories would all be "good"). Like someone else said, 1200 is probably not enough as a baseline value, since that's a weight loss calorie target and the emphasis shouldn't be primarily on weight loss, more so on healthy eating. Keep in mind that you'll lose a lot of weight if you breastfeed--the whole point of storing all the fat during a pregnancy is for breastfeeding, so I'd highly recommend doing that once your little one comes into the world.

Congratulations!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I really have no advice...but congratulations!!!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! :bigsmile: I agree with everyone that you should talk to your doctor about how much you should eat and your exercise level. A pregnant woman generally only needs 300 extra calories and that's not until the 3rd trimester and you can continue to do pretty much the same workouts as long as your body is used to it - but everyone is different so it's important to talk to your doctor first.

Check out this thread. It's for women who are TTC or pregnant and trying to stay healthy. We're a very friendly group! :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104498-pregnancy-2010-july
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Talk to your OB about it and go by what he/she recommends for calories! They will know what is right for your body! Its so easy for us to say we are eating for two, but we know we are not really, however we do need a few more calories than we normally would, just make them healthy choices! Congrats!!
  • Dusti_Renee
    Options
    Congratulations! What a special exciting time!

My last pregnancy I stuck to a great healthy diet and moderately exercised (treadmills and brisk outdoor walking, but lots of it!) and I gained 15 lbs, and a week later I was only 3 lbs higher than pre pregnant. My midwife kept close track of my diet and had me eat high quality proteins and complex carbs, as much green veggies as I wanted, limited fruit.. and 1 meal a week for a treat.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! How exciting! It looks like you have gotten enough advice here to talk to your doc, so I am just going to say how happy I am for you! Enjoy this blessed time in your life!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I really have no advice...but congratulations!!!

ditto!! congrats!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know you're shocked, but I'm excited for you! I don't know if you have any other children, but if not, I will tell you to relax and enjoy the ride! I'm beating a dead horse, but prenatal care should be your first priority. As long as you are eating appropriately now, I don't think you should worry too much about your detox (although I would like to wring your neck for eating only 400 cals a day!!!). Babies are parasites- they feed off of their hosts, us :) Most likely, you only hurt yourself, because baby was taking most of those 400 cals and you were starving. Doctors always say that excersize is fine if you have been in the routine. If you were doing yoga or pilates leading up to your pregnancy, go ahead and keep it up. If you weren't conditioning before your pregnancy, do not start something like yoga or pilates. Your doc can explain all the rest. Enjoy this time, and be good to yourself!
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Please please please eat enough!! When I was pregnant I was not trying to lose weight but had severe morning sickness for about 10 weeks. I lost weight and had room to lose weight but the doc was not cool with me losing weight. 1200 calories is NOT enough!! Please eat really healthy- lots of protein, calcium, and if you are not on prenatal vitamins get on them now!! This is not a time to be concerned with how much you gain-as long as you do it the healthy way. Eat for that precious baby inside of you! Good luck and Congrats! Being a mommy is the best!!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat at your maintenance level.. the calories you can eat to maintain your weight. Don't eat at a deficit to lose weight! And adding the additional calories to your diet isn't necessary until the 2nd & 3rd trimester. I read on the American Pregancy Association site that you shouldn't eat a low carb diet because Ketones can be harmful to the fetus. Although, there are those on here that swear otherwise.

So, your Doctor is a good source and should tell you what is right for you!

Here's the link to that site I mentioned.. all kinds of great info here:

http://americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/index.htm
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep exercising. Labor's supposed to be easier if you're in better shape, plus... you may still be able to maintain while pregnant or lose some (or just not gain as much) and it could be easier to continue afterwards. AND CONGRATS!!!