Hello and help, please!

Options
beacrys
beacrys Posts: 72 Member
Hi folks. Three weeks ago I decided to get serious about getting fit and dropping weight. I gained 25 lbs. in three years. Menopause. I lost six pounds the first week. Haven't lost anything since. I have been off gluten and sugar for six months. I haven't eaten processed food for at least three years. My weight is on my belly and upper arms. I figure I am insulin resistant, so I switched to a low carb, high fat, med. protein diet, I was averaging under 1300 cal./day, which is what was suggested by the calculator in order to lose 1.5 lbs/week. I average under 100 carbs/day. I walk 2-4 kilometres a day with my dogs. I just joined She's Fit today and did my first circuit of weights and resistance training. I am very disheartened. I have opened my diary.

I would appreciate any comments on diet or exercise. Thx!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    what about asking your dr ?
  • beacrys
    Options
    Why would I ask my doctor? Is this unusual, do you think? I had a complete physical including bone scans and blood work six months ago. All was good.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi Bea and welcome :) I'm new here too, with a similar situation to you (I could have written your post). I started being serious about getting fit in the last week of February (but just joined MFP a couple of weeks ago). I *assumed* I'd drop more weight by nowthan I have. But reading this message board I've come to realize I'm moving along fine and I've come to trust the good advice of slow & steady is the best course.

I peaked at your food and excercise diary and it looks good to me (but what do I know? I'm a newbie too ;) ). I think you just need patience ~ keep at it and I have a feeling you'll see a dropped lb or 2 soon!
  • dlmaylor
    dlmaylor Posts: 25
    Options
    Outside of what you already stated what your diet is I drink a green drink in my nutribullet 5 days week and I excercise 2x per day I get up an hour earlier and do Richard Simmons (lol). I knew I was not ready for the intense workouts yet but I still work up a sweat with it. I also walk 2 miles in the evening. I was also stagnant for my first couple of weeks but I have reported losses these past couple weeks and I think alot of it had to do with my diet and excercise. Good Luck hope you have positive results this week
  • beacrys
    Options
    Thx mostlywater, dlmaylor and rosemaryhon, I appreciate the encouragement. I'm thinking I should have posted this in the nutrition section.
  • emeraldj18
    Options
    Hi,
    I could have written this myself.I have tried and failed on numerous occasions,but this time It seems to be working.I have incorporated more excercise this time and I drink nothing but water or chamomile tea.I use no sugar or artificial sweetners.I watch my salt as well.I have found this has helped me .I am 49 years old and have been on here for 50 days.As of last week I had lost 22 lbs. I will continue to try and hope you will too! It has been hard but I feel %100 better.Good Luck on your journey:smile:
  • beacrys
    Options
    emeraldj18 you have given me hope. I don't use sweeteners either. I am hoping adding in the resistance training will help.
  • michcat17
    michcat17 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything right...hopefully just a plateau. Try switching up your foods or exercise to jolt your body back into workout mode!
  • beacrys
    Options
    Think I found out what is up with my not losing. Having just switched over from a high carb diet where I would binge every once in awhile on empty carbs. Even though my binges were like 1/2 a pan of raw bars or a large bag of pistachios.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • beacrys
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything right...hopefully just a plateau. Try switching up your foods or exercise to jolt your body back into workout mode!

I hope I have got it right now. Thx!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was told not to be too dependant of the scale because as we loose and excersice we may gain muscle which are denser than fat. So one big thing you can do if you don't already is start measuring yourself. Measure your waist, hips, thighs, arms, and neck.. As you "shrink" the fat you may see the change in measurements opposed to weight because of the muscles. I lost 3 inches around my stomach in 2 weeks (i could have been bloated too when I first checked 2 weeks ago lol) but nevertheless, I will be making it routine to measure every 2 weeks at least to see the difference in that way aside from just viewing the scale.
  • beacrys
    Options
    Hi. I was told not to be too dependant of the scale because as we loose and excersice we may gain muscle which are denser than fat. So one big thing you can do if you don't already is start measuring yourself. Measure your waist, hips, thighs, arms, and neck.. As you "shrink" the fat you may see the change in measurements opposed to weight because of the muscles. I lost 3 inches around my stomach in 2 weeks (i could have been bloated too when I first checked 2 weeks ago lol) but nevertheless, I will be making it routine to measure every 2 weeks at least to see the difference in that way aside from just viewing the scale.

I've been meaning to do this. Now I will. Thx.
  • Ncylve
    Ncylve Posts: 7
    Options
    Your post sounds just like my daughter. She has been on one high protein, low carb diet after another. She has great success the first week and then nothing. Recently she found the Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type diet. It sounded like a fad to me but when she got her blood type it turns out that she's A+ which means that she shouldn't have hardly any meat protein at all. That meat protein actually slows down her calorie usage. She tried it anyway and all of a sudden she's losing weight. The first thing that happened is that she started having more energy. After a couple of weeks she added whole food blending smoothies to her morning. She looks so good that I tried it. I'm O+ and I have to eat tons of meat and veggies. I haven't lost any weight yet but I feel a whole lot better. Just thought I'd share.
  • beacrys
    Options
    Thx Naa69. If this doesn't turn around I will look into that. Reading the thread I linked to above makes me think I just need to stick with this, though I tell you I am not a happy meat eater.