The Good The Bad And The Temptation

Options
I'm a fairly healthy person, I like to be active and I like to eat healthy, but sometimes I just can't help but crave some serious junk food. And I understand cravings are normal and a little modesty can be good, but there's nothing modest about my wanting to dive into a stack of buttery syrupy pancakes. Some things are just undeniable. What do you guys do when it hunger takes over? Do you give in to temptation? Do have a method to ignore it?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods I enjoy every day. I consume ice cream and chocolate nearly every day and enjoy beer and pizza two or three times a week.

I simply fit all of this into my calorie and macronutrient goals. The key is portion control.

I rarely get severe cravings that way. When I do now I can indulge them because they don't happen very often.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Beach, I couldn't have said it better.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods I enjoy every day. I consume ice cream and chocolate nearly every day and enjoy beer and pizza two or three times a week.

I simply fit all of this into my calorie and macronutrient goals. The key is portion control.

I rarely get severe cravings that way. When I do now I can indulge them because they don't happen very often.

Yeah I started typing then I saw this^. So, ^this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly healthy person, I like to be active and I like to eat healthy, but sometimes I just can't help but crave some serious junk food. And I understand cravings are normal and a little modesty can be good, but there's nothing modest about my wanting to dive into a stack of buttery syrupy pancakes. Some things are just undeniable. What do you guys do when it hunger takes over? Do you give in to temptation? Do have a method to ignore it?

Look at my diary and see for yourself.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^QFT.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I do portion control (pizza, really anything with cheese) and make sure I have room for it in my calorie goal (i.e. I know that I'm going to be going to a bar and have several drinks, I make sure I have fewer carbs earlier and reduce my calories/increase my exercise to approximate how much I expect to have).
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the temptations as when I give in it ends up setting me off and i end up craving other foods . So usually I try and drink water first to make sure that I'm not first and then I'd have something like dark chocolate or plain popcorn unsalted or oatbiscuits nature valley or fruit.
    Other times I do give in but I always regret it after so only strict with the healthier snack options works for me.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Yep, same here. In fact, I find that my consistency and adherence improves when I eat a serving of ice cream several days a week. If a food triggers a binge, it may help to avoid it, but learning to fit in reasonable servings of things you love is a very good long term strategy!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I used to "regret" not sticking to strict food rules...but then that led me to getting frustrated and depressed because I would end up eating foods that I told myself were "bad". And then I'd just want to quit.

You should not regret eating or regret foods. Life is full of mistakes and the last thing you want to add on yourself is a reason to regret something or be disappointed in yourself.

This is why I always tell people portion control and moderation, because having an all or nothing attitude is not healthy, will not lead you to success, and is not something that is sustainable in the long run.

I have had way too much go wrong and survived it for me to feel guilty or think I'm failing because I like including ice cream, pizza, cheeseburgers, chips, etc.

If it fits in your calorie goals, then it is okay. Don't find reasons to fill your life with negativity...especially towards food and eating.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. Quantity is different

btw i dont smother my pancakes in normal syrup.

I use maple syrup

you can have 2 pancakes which can be about 300 calories and have about 60 calories worht of maple syrup.

thats breakfast
    you can also add a protein shake which would make it about 500. that is a good meal
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    UMMMMM Im ashamed to admit that I rarely give into temptation but once in a while however, when I do its not pretty - I cant stop myself. Its the main reason I try to keep away from the nummy foods that I seek. Its not about the sweet or salty or crunchy but about wanting some good ole crappy food in my system lol
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I use maple syrup

you can have 2 pancakes which can be about 300 calories and have about 60 calories worht of maple syrup.

thats breakfast
    you can also add a protein shake which would make it about 500. that is a good meal

you forgot the bacon
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    UMMMMM Im ashamed to admit that I rarely give into temptation but once in a while however, when I do its not pretty - I cant stop myself. Its the main reason I try to keep away from the nummy foods that I seek. Its not about the sweet or salty or crunchy but about wanting some good ole crappy food in my system lol

That's the problem. If you plan ahead to let yourself enjoy those foods, then you won't be doing anything wrong by eating that first bite. When eating one bite is already bad, that encourages binges. When you allow yourself to have a full serving and realize that's OK, it's easier to stop.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have what I want and fit it in.

I have found with me that if I ignore that craving it will stick in the back of my mind until I lose all self control and binge on it. If I take care of it when it comes, then I can restrict myself to a reasonable amount.

Pizza for example. When I just let myself have it I eat 2 slices of thin crust and a salad. If I push it off I eat all but 2 slices and then some other junk.
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I rarely give into my cravings. I understand what everyone is saying about portion control with the chocolate or junk, but that's something that is too hard for me to control. If I only eat half a candy bar and decide to save the rest for tomorrow, it won't happen. I'll crave it all night knowing I have more and then I'll give it. But I do get a candy bar every now and again as a treat. Just not nearly everyday.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I used to "regret" not sticking to strict food rules...but then that led me to getting frustrated and depressed because I would end up eating foods that I told myself were "bad". And then I'd just want to quit.

You should not regret eating or regret foods. Life is full of mistakes and the last thing you want to add on yourself is a reason to regret something or be disappointed in yourself.

This is why I always tell people portion control and moderation, because having an all or nothing attitude is not healthy, will not lead you to success, and is not something that is sustainable in the long run.

I have had way too much go wrong and survived it for me to feel guilty or think I'm failing because I like including ice cream, pizza, cheeseburgers, chips, etc.

If it fits in your calorie goals, then it is okay. Don't find reasons to fill your life with negativity...especially towards food and eating.

This.

Wanting to eat a certain food should not constitute an emergency or make you question the meaning of life. It's food. Food nourishes us, but it's also meant to be enjoyed.

I will not waste any time in my life worrying about food. If I want to eat something, then I'll eat it. If I don't want something, I won't.

That said, I make sure my diary is full of fruits, veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats every day. The rest can fall where it will.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Agree with PPs - plan some treat oods into your life so you don't feel deprived.

Also, if you are suddenly overcome by the urge to consume a stack of pancakes outside your planned food, try these diversionary tactics - drink a glass of water, eat an apple (maybe even dip some apple slices into a tiny bit of honey or syrup), go for a quick walk. I often imagine how much exercise I will have to do to burn off whatever it is I'm craving - I find it's a great deterrent.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I use maple syrup

thats breakfast

you forgot the bacon

something about pork makes me feel sick most of the time.(mentally)

i think it has something to do with pork and being associated with parasites.

I try to avoid it merely out of a phobia. I do eat spiral ham though
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I use maple syrup

thats breakfast

you forgot the bacon

something about pork makes me feel sick most of the time.(mentally)

i think it has something to do with pork and being associated with parasites.

I try to avoid it merely out of a phobia. I do eat spiral ham though

S'okay. I'll eat your bacon for you so you don't have to :):flowerforyou: